Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Your Biggest Peeve?

Meeps

Many things pet peeves me I think it just people in general. overall,  it depends on the day and my mood. 

Edited by TBD

My biggest pet peeve is when someone tells me something I already know, especially if they know I already know it. I don't know why but I get extremely irritated when that happens. With regard to society in general, I think the tendency to glorify willful ignorance is what grinds my gears the most.

• Brohoof 1

My biggest peeve has to be littering, especially when there's a trash can just a few steps away from the trash I come across! Is it that hard for some people to hold onto their trash for just a bit longer so they can help keep the streets and the environment clean??

• Brohoof 1

On 8/21/2017 at 7:53 AM, zenith32 said:

My biggest pet peeve is when someone tells me something I already know, especially if they know I already know it. I don't know why but I get extremely irritated when that happens. With regard to society in general, I think the tendency to glorify willful ignorance is what grinds my gears the most.

I've heard this a lot, but don't know exactly what everyone means. In what way does society glorify willful ignorance?

On 8/20/2017 at 0:16 PM, Steel Accord said:

When people say they are morally opposed to something (anything) but voraciously consume media that espouses that very something as a central theme with no acknowledgement of their hypocrisy.

Such as, "I am against drugs, and yet I love watching 'Breaking Bad'"?

Edited by ChB
  • Brohoof 1

The way people are turning against others over political standpoints. Not even the strongest bond is safe from the bloodbath that is identity politics, which is why I chose to shrug it off completely.

• Brohoof 2

3 hours ago, ChB said:

Such as, "I am against drugs, and yet I love watching 'Breaking Bad'"?

Yyyyyyyyes and no. Breaking Bad doesn't glorify the drug trade. That show is about a man's journey into becoming a monster. If anything, the drug industry is portrayed neutrally at least as far as Walter White as a character is concerned as merely the tool to his rise to power and descent into destruction. No what I'm talking about is something like someone condemning torture as a way to interrogate terrorists in the real world yet cheer for Jack Bauer doing exactly the same thing on 24. (Just as an example, I'm not getting into that can of worms.) With their only justification being, "but he/she/it/they are cool." As if being aesthetically pleasing or entertaining excuses actions the person in question in every other circumstance condemns.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

6 hours ago, ChB said:

I've heard this a lot, but don't know exactly what everyone means. In what way does society glorify willful ignorance?

There's a number of different ways this is done, primarily by certain subcultures that essentially demonize higher education and promote stupidity as the height of social conduct through various media such as music and movies. (ie. the protagonist is a bumbling idiot who barely scrapes by anything and only manages to achieve their dream(s) through sheer luck or by 'having faith'.)

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

People who take pride in being overly cynical about everything as well as being rude to others for some really dumb a reason like "it's a part of my personality". I ain't wasting my time with people like that.

Without getting into anything too deep; people who talk too much and end up dominating the conversation, especially if it's done 'for the benefit' of someone who is shy and/or quiet. I appreciate the thought behind trying to keep things flowing but it can hardly be called a conversation with just one participant.

I wish I could but I just can't handle listening to 10+ minutes of non-stop talking anymore. My mind starts to wander and towards the end I'll be more invested in creating absurd fake arguments in my head, if only because I actually get to talk to someone (albeit that someone is myself).

• 2 years later...