Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are some of us addicted to certain characters?

FlareGun45

Some of us are addicted to Derpy, some are addicted to Lyra, some are addicted to Fluttershy, some are addicted to Discord, and some, me included, are addicted to Spike. I know there is a certain character on the show we want the best out of, and if we don't, we get mad. At least some of us do. Alot of you are mature about it, but for some reason, it gets personal if we don't see a particular character shine at their best on the show. Why is that? Why is it this way?

Me I'm actually doing my best to control myself when things don't go Spike's way, and I've been doing better now than I did in the past. When the show started, I didn't care about his part. I didn't care about anyone's part. I just watched the show, and enjoyed it! I want that back! But no matter how much I try, the anxiety of not having enough of my favorite character just gets to me. I can't just let go just like that, there has to be an easier way to get rid of that anxiety. I want to enjoy the show again how it is without being bothered by anything about it! Nothing at all! How can I do that? And do any of you relate to this?

(Yeah, I just realized this belongs in Sugarcube Corner, not here. Can someone move it?)

Edited by MegaSean45
  • Brohoof 2

I like the show to and i can understand if some people are more attached to certain characters then others and that's okay.

But we need to realize something. At the end of the day, these characters are not real. It's okay to fantasize about MLP how great it would be to meet them, but that's sadly not reality. That's why i never lost sleep over this show.

Take me for instance. i don't have much demands when it comes to this show. But what i would really like to see, is a Lamiapony. But it's not something that i would be mad about over if it never showed up. It's just the way it is.

• Brohoof 6

Me personally? I love many characters like Spike, but I won't get mad if they don't make as many appearances as they should. 

No, personally, what got me particularly ticked off so far in the show was the unfortunate implication that "following fairy tales is stupid and anyone who follow them is an idiot" from Hard to Say Anything. I could write a fix fic that gets a better moral across, maybe something like: "It's possible to take the wrong message, but take another look, and you can find a moral worth learning"

I do tend to get addicted to characters like:

Zephry Breeze for his identifiable fear of failure revealed in the 3rd act

Thorax for being the good Changeling that convinced me to make my own Changeling OC, as well as his kind personally, as adorkable moments shown so far in Season 7.

Spike, for his similar personality to me: wanting to help anyway I could.

Shining Armor, despite his short screen time, he can be just as adorkable as his sister, and wants to protect the people he cares about!

Edited by WiiGuy2014

I am completely addicted to Rainbow Dash because she is the only thing to have reached the limit of how good a concept that any form of intelligent life can think of. She's reached the point where she's so cute, that it is actually literally impossible for any idea to get any cuter, and I'm not just making an exaggeration. This goes for all of her other positive traits too. Literally the only thing bad about her is her sort of unhealthy ego, which I find cute because of my bias.

It starts with identifying with a character, but progresses to seeing the character as a kind of proxy. What happens to the character is projected back to the viewer, and thus becomes personal.

As an example, I'll confess that a part of me wants Sparity to happen because the whole thing reminds me of my own boyhood crushes, and thus Spike getting the girl becomes a form of wish fulfillment.

Simple. We tend to like and sometimes feel a connection to characters with decent and often times identifiable personalities, and sometimes we like their design. This qualifies for the fan made personas as well.

I try not to get too attached to any character, even ones that I would consider to be favorites, as that could fuel anxiety for me and anything that happens to them shouldn't affect me personally.

After looking at all of the statistics for the Mane Six after 7 seasons, I am now addicted to both Pinkie and Fluttershy, who I think are the only two left who need anything at all in Season 8.

But whenever I try to spread this kind of news, everyone just seems to despise it all. That's the problem I'm having.

I like Starlight because she puts the show in a different perspective while keeping related to friendship and keeps the show, I like Thorax and Cadance due to their tall statures and the fact that they can use their size and strength as an advantage to them, that's why I always think of them as great defensive ends or quarterbacks in football while as for Rainbow, I rather not bring up the reason for that one.

• Brohoof 1

I tend to find myself going for characters on a whole different side of my self.  One of my tops is Rarity,  she is highly ladylike,  drama-filled in times and can sing! Which is all things not in any part of my personality!  Just also she is highly giving,  will do what she needs to for her friends,  stands up for herself and loves her family!  Which is also traits I share with her in some to many levels!  I think we tend to hit for traits we see in others and traits we wish to make part of ourselves.

Maybe you feel like you can relate to them? Like for example I do like Twilight, Pinkie, Rainbow, and Rarity. I enjoy Twilight for her neediness, Pinkie is fun loving and social. Rainbow likes cool things, and Rarity does have a style to her.

Edited by Rabit2017

You grow to understand the character and you want them to shine because you can relate. I love Discord because he is a little weird and childish like me sometimes and above all he is damn funny. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think in a show that has as many characters as this one it's inevitable that you like some more than others. Rarity is fine, but I just can't identify with her personality as much as I can with Rainbow Dash's.

• 4 years later...

I guess because you can relate  to the character, you like their personalities, and appearance. 

It's the exact reason I love Pipp and Silverstream.

• Brohoof 1

Because it's relatable to me. I love fashion and purple, Rarity loves fashion and her hair is purple. I love being a quiet person who enjoys peaceful things and the pink color, Fluttershy too, and has pink hair.