Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The new and improved forum search engine

Twilight Sparkle ✨

Just over an hour ago, I finished setting up a new search backend called Sphinx, which seamlessly replaces the native MySQL fulltext search method we used before. Sphinx maintains its own search indexes separately from the database, so running a search will create no additional load on the database. This means better and more consistent site speed and loading times for everyone.

But moreover, Sphinx itself is apparently much better at returning relevant results than MySQL as well. I know some people have reported that our search feature is nearly useless, so the new setup should hopefully work much better.

Finally, there are a few specific usability changes I'd like to share with you:

• The minimum word length has been lowered to 2 characters.
  • Sphinx can perform a wildcard search to match a partial word, using an asterisk as the wildcard. For example, running a search query for rain* will match rainbow and rainboom.
  • Sphinx updates its search index every 15 minutes. New posts and topics may take up to 15 minutes to become searchable ("View New Content" is unaffected, by the way, as it does not use Sphinx).
So, with an entirely new backend powering our search feature, please feel free to give it a try and let me know if it really does return better results! :D
  • Brohoof 20

Awesome, I'll try to use the search more. More than before atleast as before it seemed sorta slow and by the sounds of it this new search is much better. Hopefully this will also help get rid of duplicate threads when someone hasn't searched properly.

The previous search engine was definately not very good. I occasionally got frustrated over it. It's great to have a new one. This will make things so much easier! Thanks Feld0. :)

That horrid Search engine was the reason I eventually stopped handling reports of duplicate threads that didn't provide the link to the thread. It was a nightmare to use, and I always felt sort of bad when I told people who made duplicate threads to refer to it before posting a new topic.

But I hope now I can say that with more confidence, and that this operates on a better level.

• Brohoof 1

Finally!

The old search engine sucked. No offense. :wub:

♪♫When somepony steals the words out of my mouth♪♫

Haha. Anyways, this is awesome! Finally I can actually use the search!

New search engine? I can't seem to find it.

Please scroll down to here to see that I'm joking.

Considering I work with this forum software everyday, i never expected that. Ever. Well done sir.