Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who Says What And Where?

Lucky Bolt

I came across these maps that show who says what and where in the US, turns out I'm waaay more southern sounding then I thought I was. :lol: Which makes sense I guess, considering I've lived most of my life in the southeast and have grown up around southern-talking family members. :D 

Y'all can have fun with these.

1. I tend to say "soda" or "coke" more then anything else, I used to say "pop" more when I was younger, it's weird how that changed over the years. 

IMG_2530.JPG.68e0217b17c5362b36700e65d24ef89a.JPG

2. I tend to use a mixture of "y'all" and "you guys" although I use "y'all" most days. 

IMG_2531.JPG.c2a9d4043a3de3916501ab98ca550b02.JPG

3. I've always called it "dinner" I mean calling it "supper" just sounds weird to me. :P

IMG_2538.JPG.585cd9b2d9eb58879c0bcb4eeab082cf.JPG

4. I've always called it "water fountain" 

IMG_2537.JPG.ebb06ed426d4a4b3f51a050e72eb7c3a.JPG

5. Oddly enough I've never had a term for this. :huh: Well come to think of it, I have used "catty-cornered" a couple times. 

IMG_2536.JPG.b7d3fd2c0782f78f6653e9f68db029f6.JPG

6. For me it's always been "tennis shoes" or "tenna shoes" I don't know where "tenna" comes from tbh. :lol:

IMG_2535.JPG.3e9acfaf5f4543a95979046f342fa549.JPG

7. For me it's always been called a "garage sale" or "yard sale" Who on earth calls it "rummage sale"??? :lol:

IMG_2534.JPG.3941e7276e65323ea097710fb9d513fd.JPG

8. I've pronounced it "carra-mel" my whole life. 

IMG_2533.JPG.0911ed4b9a9c13ebf63133ec220ed896.JPG

9. I've always called it "sub" looks like that's what most everybody says too. :P

IMG_2532.JPG.c32ed91f7d9f03d33f1e9589d1765e04.JPG

10. For me, it's always been "highway" 

IMG_2539.JPG.2f0c9fb240a6fb8400c448ab362370e3.JPG

Edited by Lucky Bolt
  • Brohoof 6

Huh. Interesting... :o I'll give my take on all of these phrases:

1. I say soft drink, but I say soda when I need to be more specific.

2. I pretty much always say "you guys and gals (just to be more a bit more inclusive)."

3. I pretty much always say dinner.

4. I just call them water fountains as well.

5. I've never heard of that phrase in my life until now. So... diagonal? :confused:

6. I usually just say athletic shoes! :please:

7. I usually call them yard sales, but I'll occasionally say garage sale.

8. Ditto; I pronounce it care-uh-mel.

9. It seems like everyone says sub, and I'm no exception.

10. I probably would have said an interstate... but highway would be my next phrase.

Oh, and I live on the East Coast, just so you know! ;)

Edited by Recherche
  • Brohoof 2

My dialect does not seem to match the stereotype of my state typically.

1. I say 'pop', which is more Northern than me.

2. I say 'you all'. I used to say 'you guys', but stopped.

3. I see no distinction between dinner and supper.

4. I think 'water fountain', but I don't really refer to it, to be honest.

5. I have no term for that, and have never heard any of those used.

6. I just say 'shoes'.

7. The map is actually accurate here because I do refer to it as 'garage sale', but yard sale actually sounds more accurate to what they are.

8. I have no concept of how to articulate that word. I have never really had to use it.

9. Yeah, just a sub. Don't even know why this is on there because it's pretty uniform.

10. I don't really have any concept of a difference between a freeway and a highway.

• Brohoof 3

1. I love the dark red dot around STL. Soda for life.:yay:

2. You guys mostly. Y'all on the rare occasion.

3. Here's where it gets crazy. We usually call the 3 meals breakfast, dinner, and supper. Seldom do we use the term lunch.

4. Water fountain, can't see calling it anything else.

5. Catty-corner. Obviously.

6. Tenna shoes.

7. I've used all 3, depending on where the junk, I mean, merchandise came from.

8. CAR-ML!

9. Sub.

10. Highway/interstate/hard road (depending on what it's paved with)

3 minutes ago, Cyclone 1066 said:

1. I love the dark red dot around STL. Soda for life.:yay:

2. You guys mostly. Y'all on the rare occasion.

3. Here's where it gets crazy. We usually call the 3 meals breakfast, dinner, and supper. Seldom do we use the term lunch.

4. Water fountain, can't see calling it anything else.

5. Catty-corner. Obviously.

6. Tenna shoes.

7. I've used all 3, depending on where the junk, I mean, merchandise came from.

8. CAR-ML!

9. Sub.

10. Highway/interstate/hard road (depending on what it's paved with)

You don't use the term lunch!? :wacko: It's always been breakfast, lunch and dinner for me. :lol: I even use the term "brunch" when referring to that meal in between breakfast and lunch. 

And I thought I was the only one who said "tenna shoes" :P

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Lucky Bolt said:

You don't use the term lunch!? :wacko: It's always been breakfast, lunch and dinner for me. :lol: I even use the term "brunch" when referring to that meal in between breakfast and lunch. 

And I thought I was the only one who said "tenna shoes" :P

My grandpa got me started on the dinner and the hard road thing. A couple more interesting ones would be pecan and piano.

I say those "pu-can" and "pie-ano" but I've heard other pronunciations. 

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that does this though. I say Hawaii just like most people, but when I say Hawaiian I pronounce it "hi-why-an":derp:

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Cyclone 1066 said:

My grandpa got me started on the dinner and the hard road thing. A couple more interesting ones would be pecan and piano.

I say those "pu-can" and "pie-ano" but I've heard other pronunciations. 

I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that does this though. I say Hawaii just like most people, but when I say Hawaiian I pronounce it "hi-why-an":derp:

That is interesting, pecans are "pee-kahns" to me, while piano is just "pee-ano" :P Huh, and I never heard Hawaiian pronounced that way before either. :lol: 

And am I the only one who finds myself pronouncing the word "south" with an L sound? When I say it, it sounds like "soulth" :lol: 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Lucky Bolt said:

That is interesting, pecans are "pee-kahns" to me, while piano is just "pee-ano" :P Huh, and I never heard Hawaiian pronounced that way before either. :lol: 

And am I the only one who finds myself pronouncing the word "south" with an L sound? When I say it, it sounds like "soulth" :lol: 

Pecans is "pu-kahns" to me and as far as Hawaiian goes I know I'm just the weird one, as usual.

You say south with the L sound!:blink: That makes it official that you are as soulth as it gets. :lol:

5 hours ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I came across these maps that show who says what and where in the US, turns out I'm waaay more southern sounding then I thought I was. :lol: Which makes sense I guess, considering I've lived most of my life in the southeast and have grown up around southern-talking family members. :D 

Y'all can have fun with these.

1. I tend to say "soda" or "coke" more then anything else, I used to say "pop" more when I was younger, it's weird how that changed over the years. 

IMG_2530.JPG.68e0217b17c5362b36700e65d24ef89a.JPG

2. I tend to use a mixture of "y'all" and "you guys" although I use "y'all" most days. 

IMG_2531.JPG.c2a9d4043a3de3916501ab98ca550b02.JPG

3. I've always called it "dinner" I mean calling it "supper" just sounds weird to me. :P

IMG_2538.JPG.585cd9b2d9eb58879c0bcb4eeab082cf.JPG

4. I've always called it "water fountain" 

IMG_2537.JPG.ebb06ed426d4a4b3f51a050e72eb7c3a.JPG

5. Oddly enough I've never had a term for this. :huh: Well come to think of it, I have used "catty-cornered" a couple times. 

IMG_2536.JPG.b7d3fd2c0782f78f6653e9f68db029f6.JPG

6. For me it's always been "tennis shoes" or "tenna shoes" I don't know where "tenna" comes from tbh. :lol:

IMG_2535.JPG.3e9acfaf5f4543a95979046f342fa549.JPG

7. For me it's always been called a "garage sale" or "yard sale" Who on earth calls it "rummage sale"??? :lol:

IMG_2534.JPG.3941e7276e65323ea097710fb9d513fd.JPG

8. I've pronounced it "carra-mel" my whole life. 

IMG_2533.JPG.0911ed4b9a9c13ebf63133ec220ed896.JPG

9. I've always called it "sub" looks like that's what most everybody says too. :P

IMG_2532.JPG.c32ed91f7d9f03d33f1e9589d1765e04.JPG

10. For me, it's always been "highway" 

IMG_2539.JPG.2f0c9fb240a6fb8400c448ab362370e3.JPG

Now for how somepony from outwith the US says these (if you didn't know, I'm Scottish)...

1) I use  "fizzy drink" or "Fizzy juice" but most people I know say "ginger", Coke if I'm talking about cola!

2) I use "yous"

3) I use dinner, I also say dinner for lunch, I just know what I'm having by the time!

4) Water cooler (but I don't know if it's different in the US)

5) Not got one

6) Trainers is what I call them

7) Car boot sale is what I call it

8) CA-RA-MEL is how I pronounce it

9) What? What's that?

10) Motorway

Edited by Sherbert Music-Guard
  • Brohoof 2

1. I’ve always said soda even though most up here say pop.
  2. Both y’all and you guys though people sometimes look at me weird when I say y’all.
  3. This is weird. My entire extended family says supper for the last meal when my immediate family says dinner.
  4. Just water fountain.
  5. Just diagonal
  6. Both tennis shoes and sneakers except sneakers is more used for basketball.
  7. Another one where my extended family says rummage sale but immediate family says garage sale.
  8. I say ca-rra-mel.
  9. This is weird both hoagie and sub interchangeably.
  10. A freeway is bigger and has not stop lights while a highway is smaller and can have stop lights.

(I’m from Minnesota by the way)

• Brohoof 1

Not from the US but I thought it would be fun to throw in my Southern English terms:

1. Soft Drink/Fizzy Drink

2. You guys or sometimes you all or you lot

3. Never used supper, it's dinner for a meal (lunch or in the evening) and tea for a snack (only in the evening)

4. Water Fountain

5. No term

6. Trainers

7. Car boot sales are the closest thing we have I think

8. Carra-mel

9. Sub or a sandwich, I only really call them subs when they're from Subway

10. A motorway

• Brohoof 1

The thing is that I don't live the US, I'm the neighbour upstairs. So the data doesn't apply to me... :P This still looks interesting though, I should do it anyways. :D 

1. I either say pop or soda, all four mean the same to me but I use these two the most often.
  2. I say "you guys" the most out of the four.
  3. I think that dinner is the meal earlier than supper. You have no idea how often these two words confuse me.  :muffins:
  4. Water fountain, never used any of the other ones. :huh: 
  5. We don't have a term for that. :adorkable:
  6. "Sneakers" all the way.
  7. Garage/Yard Sale. Personally, I use the term "garage sale" the most, but people do say yard sale here. I've never heard of a rummage sale though.:lie:
  8. They're interchangeable, but I use "car-ml" the most and all my friends criticize me for that.
  9. Sub, I haven't heard of any of the other ones.
  10. Highway. :) 
  • Brohoof 1

Here's mine!

1. Pop
  2. You guys
  3. I just say "dinner" but I hear "supper" too
  4. Drinking Fountain
  5. Catty-Corner... although I don't think I've ever used that word myself
  6. Tennis shoes
  7. Garage sale if it's in the garage, yard sale if it's in the yard... duh :maud:
  8. Car-mel
  9. Sub
  10. Freeways are limited access. Though I usually still call them "highways"

Well, in a few months I'll be moving into soda, water fountain, sneakers, and carra-mel territory. Good to know :nom:

If anyone would like to check out more maps for more obscure terms, check out these from the Harvard Dialect Survey! My favorite in particular is this one. Gotta love central Texas and eastern Wisconsin with their peenie wallies :wacko: 

• Brohoof 1

I've lived in almost every part of the U.S. but I've always used the west coast versions of most of these.

1. Soda

2. You guys

3. Dinner (but most of my family says 'supper')

4. Drinking fountain

5. Kitty corner

6. Sneakers

7. Garage sale

8. Car-mel (strictly two syllables here, Anything else sounds unnatural)

9. Sub

10. Freeway (I use 'highway' for more open areas that are outside the city). 

• Brohoof 1

I've moved around a lot growing up, even into multiple countries so I'm a bit of a mash up when it comes to these.

1. I say soda as a generalization for carbonated drinks.

2. I try to say 'you all' but it always comes out 'y'all'.

3. My mother and I say dinner, but father says supper.

4. Water fountain.

5. Kitty corner.  Not sure I've actually heard someone say catty corner before.

6. Tennis shoes.

7. Yard sale, but probably because we always did them in the yard.  Rarely did we have a garage.

8. Car-mel.

9. Sub, because I grew up on Subway for sandwiches.

10. I say Freeway for big roads in the city, and Highway for open roads outside the city.

Edited by Rising Dusk
  • Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, SparklingSwirls said:

Here's mine!

1. Pop
  2. You guys
  3. I just say "dinner" but I hear "supper" too
  4. Drinking Fountain
  5. Catty-Corner... although I don't think I've ever used that word myself
  6. Tennis shoes
  7. Garage sale if it's in the garage, yard sale if it's in the yard... duh :maud:
  8. Car-mel
  9. Sub
  10. Freeways are limited access. Though I usually still call them "highways"

Well, in a few months I'll be moving into soda, water fountain, sneakers, and carra-mel territory. Good to know :nom:

If anyone would like to check out more maps for more obscure terms, check out these from the Harvard Dialect Survey! My favorite in particular is this one. Gotta love central Texas and eastern Wisconsin with their peenie wallies :wacko: 

Ha! Peenie wallie? I never woulda known. :lol: It's always been "firefly" for me. 

17 hours ago, Cyclone 1066 said:

Thought of a couple more words that are different pronunciation in different parts of the country.

Wash and roof.

I found "roof" here: https://www4.uwm.edu/FLL/linguistics/dialect/staticmaps/q_25.html

I always pronounced it "roo-f" as in "food" 

• Brohoof 1

Arizona is actually pretty on par with what I think, its kinda scary.

1) Soda
2) You guys
3) Don't use the term "supper"
4) Drinking fountain
5) None
6) Tennis shoes
7) Garage sale
8) 2 syllables, though sometimes I slip into 3
9) Sub
10) I say freeway regardless.

• Brohoof 1

Where I live now (Texas) and where I grew up (Connecticut) are different, an I tend to stick with terminology from where I grew up for the most part.  So ...

1. We've always called it soda.
2. I do use "y'all" more often these days.
3.  There was never any real distinction, they were fairly interchangeable
4. Water fountain.
5.  It was always 'kitty-corner.'  'Catty-corner' sounded weird.
6. No matter the brand, they were always sneakers.
7.  Yard sales happened in neighborhoods.  Rummage sales were held in church basements as fundraisers.
8.  We pronounced it as it was spelled: Car-a-mel.
9. We always called them 'grinders.'  Even when you got them from Subway. Never really learned the reason why, however.
10.  Interstates were always referred to as highways, other major roadways were simply 'routes' (Take Route 1 to Route 156).

• Brohoof 1