Jeric

Emoticon Solution Poll  

38 users have voted

1. 1. How should be handle this

• No new emotes.
    • New emoticons in a disorganized state is fine
    • Create character categories
    • Create emotion and useage based categories
    • Wait until we have 'x' emoticons and take them down and reupload them all.

One of the most popular requests is to add more pony emoticons. These are suffuciently easy to make and upload, but with the enhanced emoji changes in IPB 4.3 there are some issues with adding new emoticons. 

1. They now are ordered strictly based on upload date. While the drag and drop ordering still exists in ACP, it no longer saves. There are no controls in ACP that change that, and support has not been ... helpful. The result is that uploading a new Twilight emoticon would place it last on the list (ignoring your personal recently used category). 

2. The solution to remove and add them has a flaw, it globally breaks old emoticons. There is a solution around this, but I'm not going to go through that simply to add a new emoticon. No way in Tartarus. 

So we have five viable solutions if we want to discuss this. 

1. Keep what we have and don't touch the system. 

2. Live with disorganization 

3. Create categories for the characters (Twilight, Rarity, Background Pones, Secondary characters, etc) and use the top down menu 

4. Create emotion based categories to put similar emoticons together like :D

and :)

5. Have a bucket of new emoticons that will build until it becomes more worth the time to upload them. 

Thers is no perfect solution, and no matter what we do someone is going to be annoyed, but I'm fine with many of these approaches. Now, I normally do not toss these sort of ideas to the community because being a leader of a transient online community can render such polling irrelevant, and they tend to pit member against member, when the selection doesn't go one groups way, I'm going to break tradition and get your input here. 

NOTE, this is only one variable on our decision making. The Admins will review and discuss options knowing what the community wants ... be it a plurality or majority. 

so .... that all said comment and vote away. How would you prefer emoticons to be handled?

• Brohoof 3

I think creating character categories would be a great option, particularly for people like me who try and find the emoticon for the character I want to use first and then if that character just doesn't have the one I want to use I'll go to somepony else. I don't particularly care for a disorganized checkerboard of pony faces, that can be tedious to look through (as we all experienced already).

Organization!

twilight_sparkle_reshelf_books_4_s02e10.

3 minutes ago, Sherbert Music-Guard said:

New catagories and emotes would be nice,

But there is already so much that the admin team do for us users, we don' really need more anything

I appreciate that Sherbet, though creating categories is fairly trivial and easy. Plus, I kinda enjoy doing this sort of thing. 

• Brohoof 4

I think creating emotion categories would be a good idea. Now, character categories could work too for the reason that Sunset Rose stated, but I personally think that it's more efficient to put similar emotions together rather than the characters. That would give us less categories to look through and a better overlook as to what we can use in a particular sentence... if I still make sense. :lie:

NO NEW EMOTES! DELETE THEM ALL! I HATE FUN!!!!

All right; enough of that...

Sooo...personally, I would prefer character-based categories since it seems like most of the time I search for a specific character moreso than anything else. Plus; ORGANIZATION!

• Brohoof 4

Character vs Usage categories is a hard choice, as different people will have different criteria for choosing emotes. Personally, I would rather go with Usage categories, but coming up with those categories in the first place is going to be a challenge.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

Breaking old emoticons is not an option, even if that would be happening only once per year or something. These should be permanent; otherwise a better choice would be just to upload these on our own and use through links or attachments. :twi:

So I think the categories would be a good choice, it would allow to keep these somewhat organized without having to wreck the ones in posts.

Personally most the time I call them by their names, so it wouldn't be much of a difference for me, though if I'd like to pick the one I use rarely and don't know the name, having them categorized would make it easier to find, so it's another good thing of that solution.

Edited by Rikifive

• 1 month later...

I would support having more organized emoticons, but I don't think they are really worth the effort to break the past readibility of the site not to mention the extra work needed to do it.

I think having based categories would be the best option. Like having Mane 6, Background Characters or Original and New Emotions. Have a category for each individual character would be long and tedious in my opinion - especially for mobile users.

Usage based cathegories are the go-to solution for me. I believe it's easier to use them this way for a very simple reason: their colors.

When choosing to react to something, you already know if you're going to be happy about it, or sad, or curious. Whatever. Having character based criteria will make you open their character based subfolder and waste time trying to find that one emote for your character.

Having category based ones, you'll open the "happy stuffs" and the color of your character emote will instantly be recognized between all others. It's a convinience really. Also, perhaps other char's emote will actually reflect what you want to relay better than your own :) that being said, the decision behind reaction gives us only a general idea on how we want to react, the choice happens once we have emotes in front of us.

I think organizing the little pony faces would be good, you take the ‘positive faces’ like the happy little heads, then you got the negative ones, the crying Fluttershy, or that disgusted green-ish dude (My favorite!) No need for different lists for every character, just two simple categories.

I would really like the Roleplay characters to be fix, however.

(Sorry.)

(edited)

disorganized is more fun and the randomness will keep the discovering new emotes proccess a bit longer.besides life is boring without a little chaos every now and then :umad:

Edited by Lord Valtasar

• The topic was locked