Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why is DCs animated films better than DCEUs films?

Thorgir the Mighty

I’ve recently watched some of DCAUs animation and they’re amazing. I’ve been wondering though,why doesn’t Marvel have good animation? I mean,DC has crappy live action films but the animation is phenomenal. That leads to another question,why isn’t DCEU just as good as DCAU? They share pretty similar things such as...

Theyre both Dark (lighting,mood,etc)

They both have good characters

But DCEU lacks something,I can’t really throw a batarang on it,I’d like to hear your suggestions on this topic.

P.S please also mention what your favorite DCAU movie is,I’d like to know!

Simple: they're too busy trying to both win the box office and beat marvel. 

Back in the 90s, the goal was to make a great TV show for everyone. From Batman TAS to Static Shock, the goal was to make something for the whole family, yet not hold back on the story telling. If it's dark, then it's dark. Goes as far as that TV-PG rating will take you. They also made the characters relateble and y'know, heroic, instead of just a bunch of brooding jerks. 

And like many, Mask of The Phantasm was my favorite. 

• Brohoof 5

Their live action films try too hard to be both like the Batman/Dark Knight trilogy and the MCU

Like seriously, I feel a lot of the time they're trying to make all of their superheroes like Batman and not like themselves

• Brohoof 2

I think it falls down with why DCEU films are failing in general: they are rushing with the crossovers, instead of carefully building each one of the characters individually before the inevitable main course. 

DC animated films don't hold that problem, as they are mostly independent, and they are for real in the general quality 

7 minutes ago, Twilight Luna said:

Not all of them are good. Batman & Harley Quinn was bad and Killing Joke was controversial because of the short film before it. I have never had the urge to watch them again.

Those are a few exceptions. Not with the case of the films, as I think only Man of Steel and Wonder Woman were well received. That's 2 out of 5 yo. Over half are crap with a franchise that isn't big in the first place :dash:

• Brohoof 2

56 minutes ago, Steve Piranha said:

I think it falls down with why DCEU films are failing in general: they are rushing with the crossovers, instead of carefully building each one of the characters individually before the inevitable main course. 

DC animated films don't hold that problem, as they are mostly independent, and they are for real in the general quality 

Those are a few exceptions. Not with the case of the films, as I think only Man of Steel and Wonder Woman were well received. That's 2 out of 5 yo. Over half are crap with a franchise that isn't big in the first place :dash:

It didn’t help the DCEU that their first two (Green Lantern and Man of Steel) films didn’t do very well which made DC panic and tried to catch up with Marvel too quickly. 

Oh, there are a lot of the animated movies that I enjoy like the Teen Titans and Batman movies. Wonder Woman and Green Lantern were good too. All Star Superman was good as well.

Since Ben Affleck quit,they should hire Christian Bale again,that is if he’s up for another run.

I had high hopes for Justice League though,I thought it could be a turning point for DC...but NOPE.

But there’s still hope,because Deathstroke is here...

P.S the Flashpoint Paradox was a great film

I do like some of the DC live action movies,  they are fun to watch.    I just feel the cartoons get more breathing room when it comes to the world of DC and what can be done overall in plot and dealing with people with superpowers.    Thing is also in cartoons,  you are not dealing the WHOLE HUGE MONEY Subject as you do in the live action movies.    So it gives the cartoons more room to do things.   

Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay

I think its the actors they choose. Like, DC could have killed it by making a Cyborg stand alone movie before Marvel pandered made Black Panther.

Ben Affleck in the role of Batman only reminded me of George Clooney as Batman. Good as Bruce Wayne but as Batman......eeeeeh, thats pushing it.

Also for DCs non-animated films, they dont hold your hand or break their universe for easter eggs. Which is a blessing and curse. For example, The Watchmen had a lot of subtle hinting and references...such as the comic withing the comic that made it into the movie. No one understood the comic was an homage/foreshadowing of Ozymandias which itself was a reference to a poem. 

Though, i do kinda blame them for failing due to the fact they are trying to milk the dark and gritty superhero theme. I miss the old days of Batman where he wasnt always broody and anti-social. I miss the days where Superman wasnt an edgy farm boy model.

On 7/1/2018 at 1:54 PM, Rainbow Dash said:

I think its the actors they choose. Like, DC could have killed it by making a Cyborg stand alone movie before Marvel pandered made Black Panther.

Ben Affleck in the role of Batman only reminded me of George Clooney as Batman. Good as Bruce Wayne but as Batman......eeeeeh, thats pushing it.

Also for DCs non-animated films, they dont hold your hand or break their universe for easter eggs. Which is a blessing and curse. For example, The Watchmen had a lot of subtle hinting and references...such as the comic withing the comic that made it into the movie. No one understood the comic was an homage/foreshadowing of Ozymandias which itself was a reference to a poem. 

Though, i do kinda blame them for failing due to the fact they are trying to milk the dark and gritty superhero theme. I miss the old days of Batman where he wasnt always broody and anti-social. I miss the days where Superman wasnt an edgy farm boy model.

I know right?

i still remember the time batman fought the joker over mud pies on the beach! 

(edited)

Admittedly I haven't watched a DCEU film and don't plan to, despite being a pretty big fan of DC. I do, however, have two friends who love literally everything about the DCEU and so I hear them discuss it a lot. I always get the impression that the DCEU tries to stay away from the goofier aspects of DC. I doubt we'll get a Hawkman or Legion of Superheroes film anytime, or at least any time soon and we'll probably never get villains like Manchester Black involved. Superheroes are inherently silly and fun, so it's a shame we rarely get the same kind of fun on the big screen.

On a related note, Superman vs The Elite I think is the best Superhero films i've seen. It's fun, but has its serious moments with legitimate moral gray area and a great ending. A lot of stories portray a "what if Superheroes killed" scenario, but I think the film really showed how downright horrifying that idea can be. 

Edited by Galaxian Darkanine