Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What does this "Banished" rank mean?

Kevin Tang

That rank simply means "Banned".

It simply represents users, who are banned. You can earn that rank for breaking rules. ;)

It can also mean that a member is temporarily suspended, which is part of the reason we don't devulge mod action details most of the time. 

There's a bit of a history behind the 'Banished' rank, but the current incarnation of it came about because I was working towards fixing a feature that was removed during the last big forum software upgrade. Basically, originally when someone was banned their profile got locked so that non-staff couldn't access it. This meant that staff could ban someone and they didn't need to clean up whatever might be publicly objectionable on that profile. For reasons I don't quite understand, that feature was removed by IP.B during that big software upgrade.

So I created this special rank, re-using some assets that were left behind by a previous admin, with the intent of putting into the profile template code something along the lines of "If rank=Banished, display 'Nothing to see here, move along'" but I was having difficulty figuring out the templates and other higher-priority stuff was piling up. The same thing happened to the character database displays, as the templates just weren't behaving in a reasonable way to me. Before I figured it all out, I retired from staff. :yeahno:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@Fhaolan

That may be irrelevant now, but wrapping everything in profile in

{{if !$member->isBanned() or \IPS\Member::loggedIn()->modPermission('mod_see_warn')}}

would make display things only when the viewed member wouldn't be banned (either permanent or temporary (if I'm not mistaking)) OR when the logged-in member viewing the member would have mod permission -> ability to see warnings. So if the member would be banned/suspended(?), the second expression would return true for mods, thus allow to see what's inside.

Then after {{else}} you could put all the fancy things, such as the text you had on mind, images etc..

Useless information that makes me look like annoying smarty pants (which is definitely what I am; Sorry :rarity:), but I thought I'd share this with you nevertheless.

Edited by Rikifive

FWIW, I'll put this on my to do list. I'm more focused on fixing the display issues with the RP templates. 

1 minute ago, Wholly Windcharger said:

Banished seems to be temporary. I saw the banish mark has been removed from one of my recent acquaintances.

I can be temporary, but 99% of the time it isn't. In that situation you mentioned it was specifically a suspension which still places the member in banished. 

And with that, as this answer has been fully answered I'm marking it as such. :)

• The topic was locked