Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Why the staff worked without Flurry Heart.

Shady Mist

My theory as to why the Staff of Sacanas could work without Flurry Heart is that it only works with "ascended alicorn princes".Becoming an alicorn princess has to be earned, Flurry being naturally born an alicorn she's not a "princess"

Edited by Shady Mist

Well you’re assuming that Celestia and Luna are ascended alicorns rather than born. We don’t actually know their origin.

Celestia and Luna said that an alicorn has never been born in Equestria. But Luna and Celestia are likely not from Equestria. Equestria was formed by the three regular pony tribes, and the Celestial Sisters came later.

And them being surprised that an alicorn can be born from a regular unicorn and an ascended pegasus makes sense to me. Under my belief that Twilight and Cadence are the first ascended alicorns, this is the first time one has had a child. Celestia and Luna probably didn’t expect it.

Flurry was probably just not required because she’s still a baby. She doesn’t have a dedicated magical proficiency like her elders. At this point in her life, she’s just raw, unchecked magic. Like an amped up baby unicorn.

And also, I wouldn’t be shocked if Equestrian news doesn’t travel far outside of Equestria. Klugetown residents barely had any awareness of what they were dealing with and the naked mole rat idiot grabbed an angry unicorn by the face. I don’t think the Storm King pays a lot of attention to royal family headlines. He seems more concerned with his propaganda and image.

• Brohoof 1

I've always wondered about that line about it needing the 4 Alicorn Princesses to work. The show doesn't have a concrete timeline really, but I'd assume that from the Season 3 finale to the movie it's only been a couple of years, so Twilight hasn't been an alicorn that long. So, either the staff is a very recently made thing, perhaps during the Season 4-5 period before Flurry was born, or it doesn't actually require all 4 Princesses, it can function from the magic of less than that, just having all 4 is of course the most ideal thing.

I'd think the second one is more likely, of course he wants to drain them all, because that both means more power for the staff, and means that none of the Princesses can threaten him. Flurry might have been included too, but maybe they didn't know about her, or she just wasn't there at the time, since we never see her or Shining at all, it's possible they're still in the Crystal Empire.

(edited)
56 minutes ago, ShadOBabe said:

Well you’re assuming that Celestia and Luna are ascended alicorns rather than born. We don’t actually know their origin.

Celestia and Luna said that an alicorn has never been born in Equestria. But Luna and Celestia are likely not from Equestria. Equestria was formed by the three regular pony tribes, and the Celestial Sisters came later.

And them being surprised that an alicorn can be born from a regular unicorn and an ascended pegasus makes sense to me. Under my belief that Twilight and Cadence are the first ascended alicorns, this is the first time one has had a child. Celestia and Luna probably didn’t expect it.

Flurry was probably just not required because she’s still a baby. She doesn’t have a dedicated magical proficiency like her elders. At this point in her life, she’s just raw, unchecked magic. Like an amped up baby unicorn.

And also, I wouldn’t be shocked if Equestrian news doesn’t travel far outside of Equestria. Klugetown residents barely had any awareness of what they were dealing with and the naked mole rat idiot grabbed an angry unicorn by the face. I don’t think the Storm King pays a lot of attention to royal family headlines. He seems more concerned with his propaganda and image.

Going back to season 6 Celestia: "The birth of an alicorn is something Equestria has never seen." Luna: "It is beyond even our understanding." You could say they were born alicorns before Equestria was founded, but Luna's line "It is beyond even our understanding." is what contradicts that. Stating that they were ascended.

Edited by Shady Mist

19 minutes ago, Shady Mist said:

Going back to season 6 Celestia: "The birth of an alicorn is something Equestria has never seen." Luna: "It is beyond even our understanding". You could say they were born alicorns before Equestria was founded, but Luna's line "It is beyond even our understanding" is what contradicts that stating that they were ascended.

A baby alicorn being born from a non-alicorn and an ascended alicorn IS beyond their understanding. It’s the first and only occurrence of it. The birth of a baby alicorn to two “natural alicorns” would be obvious, and again, I’m sure both Celestial Sisters assumed that the baby would be one of the regular pony races, since that’s the natural state of both her parents.

There’s still a lot for Equestria to learn and understand about alicorn ascension. It’s still a very new thing, relatively speaking, since Cadance can’t be older than like her early 30s, and she was an Alicorn as a late teen/young adult. So at most, Alicorn Ascension has been a thing for like 10-15 years. That’s a very short time to a being like Celestia.

And back on the Celestial Sisters born/ascended thing. We know they’re immortal. Or at least so long lived that they might as well be. However, Word of God EXPLICITLY stated that Twilight would not outlive her friends.

Now unless all of her friends turn into alicorns, or the creators are insinuating that they all die prematurely because of unnatural causes (which are both unlikely), then they’re saying that Twilight (and by extension Cadence) has a normal lifespan.

That makes them fundamentally different from Celestia and Luna. Sure there are still theories you could come up with. I could come up with several right now. But I still think the one that makes the most sense is that Celestia and Luna are born alicorn demigod beings, and Twilight and Cadence are incredibly powerful, but still mortal, ascended alicorns.

Obviously Lauren Faust isn’t in control of the show, but she still laid the foundation, and the two types of alicorns thing was originated by her. And unless the staff straight up show otherwise, it still works.

But I have a feeling they’re going to leave it up to interpretation.

Edited by ShadOBabe