Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Looking back at Flurry Heart

WickedGames

As a hater, I say yes.

I'm kidding. The problem is that... It's a baby. It could be an object, a macguffin in a more interesting story. 

Personally, I dislike everything about her. Her design is awkward, she complicates the lore for no benefit at all, the way she broke the Crystal Heart just didn't sit right with me, and I would never name a baby "Flurry anything" after that episode.

In the following episodes I started liking her more, but... Meh.

It's not that people hate fluury hear in particular, but just an idea of a character like that. A character that breaks preconceived canon, cheapens twi's and cadence's stories(somehow?) and is not much more than a plot device for the S6 opener (she's less than a year old at the time). So how much you hate her depends on how much those aspects matter to you.

Then again, i feel like she's less of her own character, and more so exists as part of the cadence, shining duo, they benefited more as characters from flurry's existence i think. The only thing is there weren't many episodes that explored that side of it, but what can you do.

to be honest.... I do love her design, but while watching the ep i didn't like nor dislike her.

i just thought it was weird that she was born an alicorn despite the show telling us that alicorns are formed not born. ( i think that how there born...)

I find her to be worse in retrospect honestly. Never been a fan of "merchandise characters" that are only meant to appeal to you by "being cute", but I might have been able to warm up to her...if she had actually had some actual bearing on the story. :maud:

I don't have any strong feelings towards her one way or the other. She just... is. Probably because as a baby it was hard for her to have an actual character lol. She is cute, even if she was definitely just made for merchandise which is meh. It's a toy franchise at the end of the day I guess...

Also would've been cute to see more Aunt Twilight moments in the show.

(edited)

I liked her fine, and I enjoyed her episode a lot, but I wished they did more with her. At worst I feel she was a pointless addition since they didn’t use her very much and dropped a very important plot point entirely about her after debut(her birth as an alicorn being an anomaly). Also at the same time her existence is the complete opposite to what all the complaints say she is(a creation of the writers rather than a corporate mandate, she barely got any toys despite everyone saying she only exists for that purpose)

Spoiler

I probably would have actually watched The Last Problem if older McFlurry was there as one of the main characters of the episode as originally planned instead of Haber’s OC

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 1

On 2024-02-27 at 1:50 PM, Megas said:

I liked her fine, and I enjoyed her episode a lot, but I wished they did more with her. At worst I feel she was a pointless addition since they didn’t use her very much and dropped a very important plot point entirely about her after debut(her birth as an alicorn being an anomaly). Also at the same time her existence is the complete opposite to what all the complaints say she is(a creation of the writers rather than a corporate mandate, she barely got any toys despite everyone saying she only exists for that purpose)

Reveal hidden contents

I probably would have actually watched The Last Problem if older McFlurry was there as one of the main characters of the episode as originally planned instead of Haber’s OC

It'd also be interesting to follow her as she grew up. Lore-wise, she's in such an interesting position but they never took advantage of it. They could've also delved deeper into crystal pony life and lore through her since that wasn't really explored much in the show either.

Genuinely, she could be redeemed with good writing. But, I think this would only work in an alternate reality where they stopped FIM right after Twilight got her friendship school and, as a result, made a spinoff where they introduced the Student 6 there instead of in the main show. (Maybe this last bit is just me, though.)

As a baby, she was just a bit annoying to me. But she had potential to be an interesting character if she would be shown growing up as a princess and the future ruler of the Crystal Empire. I envision her as a character with conflicting good and evil tendencies...

It feels like the show runners had seen the terrible reception fh had and decided not to force it. Whether for better or worse though i feel like many would never be satisfied since it's sort of difficult to run a huge charater arc in an episodic show like this that would be satisfying for most(alicorn twilight being the example), especially for a character like fh. 

I think I will forever be one who will never understand the hate on her, I definitely like her, I don't think she was very interesting in her two part debut episode, but in her later appearances specially "A Flurry of Emotions" she was very fun and really catch to me specially with her interactions with Twilight, I like the concept of a super strong child, it really adds to the fantasy and silliness of the series, I like her design and for me she doesn't screw up the lore, I don't recall at any moment someone saying that alicorns can only be born through a transformation, if it was said, so it could be a new event that has just never been recorded in history before (as I remember it is said that the birth of a baby Alicorn has never been seen IN EQUESTRIA before), that happens in many fictional stories, I don't the see the reason for the hate on it.

• Brohoof 2