Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do the past generations of MLP deserve all the hate?

ManaMinori

• 1 month later...

Only Newborn Cuties deserves the hate, that thing was awful. It was only made to match up with toy sales too. The rest of G3 has its good and bad movies but saying it’s the worst thing ever is a bit harsh.

• Brohoof 5

well lets just say that l'm guessing boys hate the old generations just because it was more girly in the old films and there was no boy ponies.

But imo old generations doesn't deserve so much hate at all. l liked G1 and G2, but not a fan of G3 just because the ponies were babies.

• 6 months later...

Since the old Gens were animated traditionally, they already deserve my respect. My favorite one of the old gens is My Little Pony Tales, which would be Generation 1.5 i think. It was cute, unique and Beautiful Looking in a lot of parts.

And Generation 2 had an interesting video game, which also featured good Animation.

Generation 3 is partly a little painful to watch, because it calmed down a lot in comparison to G1, but most of it was still cute looking, sometimes nicely animated and there were some Movies i enjoyed.

I dont understand why someone would hate them really, apart from that one bad Generation 3.5 Thing. Most of it was inoffensive. I can understand that someone would dislike it and they have all the Right to do so, but outright hate? For what reason?

But since a lot of comments on older Mlp Videos are disabled now, because of Coppa, i guess Hater, who actually post Insults under older gens, dont madder anymore anyway. 

Bronys who post hate comments on older gens are kind of ironic.

• Brohoof 1

I don't care for them, but they do have their fans. I won't deny there's some crap in them but nowadays honestly a lot of hate for them feels like they came from insecure G4 fans who blame them for being why MLP is under such scrutiny

• 2 weeks later...

They certainly don't deserve hate but perhaps some constructive criticism on writing characters/morals instead. Unless they were like TTG, I don't think any of the generations should be eradicated from history. They helped make G4 a thing in the first place. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 months later...
On 7/5/2019 at 7:12 PM, Osoka_Topez said:

well lets just say that l'm guessing boys hate the old generations just because it was more girly in the old films and there was no boy ponies.

But imo old generations doesn't deserve so much hate at all. l liked G1 and G2, but not a fan of G3 just because the ponies were babies.

The G3.5 cartoon had the characters as babies. G3 proper was like a reimagined G1, complete with mostly adult ponies and a selection of baby ponies who were different from the aduls.

3 minutes ago, Khoufu said:

The G3.5 cartoon had the characters as babies. G3 proper was like a reimagined G1, complete with mostly adult ponies and a selection of baby ponies who were different from the aduls.

I know that, it just wasn't my thing during the time

Nah I don't think so, especially gen 1 which started it all. I love fizzy and firefly. There are many other cool characters. Sure they could give it more personality and it has a generic kid show with villains feeling (so I yawn a bit) but it's a decent cartoon I think. Looking back there were some good ideas. And I saw some interesting toys like rainbow ponies, sea ponies, big brother ponies (which seem to have more vibrant colours compared to a lot of male ponies in gen 4).

As a kid I loved the gen 2 pony toys, they didn't have their own show but it was fun brushing their hair, I still have them a blue one and a pink one. I also had an older pony toy i think.

The gen 3 cartoon is a bit weird by that time I was a bit older and not interested. Also a little too pink for me though I was interested at the time that there was a show based on the toys that I liked when I was younger it didn't really seem to have much substance.

I sure think they are very different to gen 4 though, so I can get why if you would want to distance from all that. Nothing like that same quality as a show. But for hasbro it was mainly about the toys so yea.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I honestly don't think the past generations deserve to receive hate. I mean, every generation have their flaws in terms of the toy-lines or the animated series. Even generation 4 gets some hate, despite from all the spin-offs and featured films. For me, I enjoy the classic generations of My Little Pony, and without them we probably wouldn't have "Friendship is Magic" but that's just my speculation.

No. I don't like to think or say that the previous generations deserve hate. Oh sure, the content they were producing might not have the best quantity as they expected but they did received and met the target audience that they wanted. That's all I gotta add. Hope this was easy to help reconsider or maybe learned something here. ✌️

Edited by Ruchiyoto
  • Brohoof 4

Interestingly, if we were back in 2011, there were people defending FIM with their lives, to be the best show ever and that you must not make the mistake of mixing FIM with MLP and older Generations.
It was the law back then. Because if people found out you were a boy that liked MLP, you were doomed! Even if you had a good reputation as being a bada*s at 4chan.

• Brohoof 2

• 4 months later...
On 9/14/2018 at 4:17 PM, Denim&Venöm said:

Hey I will let you all know that I presented a power point on why G3 wasn't that bad. 

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1zXghKA5FWCf4cLdoLRIYhs593zEW0J8P8YpGp23jBbY/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=60000&slide=id.p3

Longer than that.

Reveal hidden contents

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

lol yeah. I remember that. Hell I even got a birthday card (not for me just in general) that is G3 themed from Dollar General and they got back in stock recently too.

• 2 months later...

No. It's not trying to do the same thing as FiM or appeal to the same people. G1 especially is perfectly ok and I am pleased to revisit 80s nostalgia.

That is not to say there are not a few things in it that make me wince :eww: in particular, I'm with G1 Tirac and Scorpan on the G1 Spike "Silence!" 

image.png.33eb21acbea6f9eb0eabd458d142f8b3.png

• Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

No. I don't think so. There are some fans who like the previous generations of MLP just as much as Friendship is Magic. Heck, there are some fans of Star Wars who like the prequels just as much as the originals. So, I think we should respect them.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 month later...
On 2021-07-12 at 10:17 AM, Mammon said:

No. The only one that deserves all the hate is Newborn Cuties. Nightmare fuel right there.

Can’t agree more!Hasbro even used an unfinished animation to make its commercial products.:eww:

• Brohoof 2

20 minutes ago, Moonriah said:

Can’t agree more!Hasbro even used an unfinished animation to make its commercial products.:eww:

It’s so bad! Like what in the world were they thinking when they made it.

• Brohoof 2

On 2018-09-02 at 6:26 PM, Ganondorf8 said:

Generations two and three kind of deserve the criticism as both of them weren't exactly well received. Generation one on the other is one that deserves the utmost respect even if the foundation is shaky at times. Without it, we wouldn't have what we do now.

Exactly.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Why would you hate it? Just dislike it a bit and move on lol. G3 imo looked overly pink and kinda cheesy as a cartoon tho.

Some of the characters seem cute now looking back at it, and some of the characters played a part in making those in g4 as well as shared character actors.

G2 was cool imo I don't think it sold well in America but in Europe and UK where I was it was all the rage with the kids at least the girls that is i.e. when I was that age. The pony toys had the brushable hair. One thing that was fun was putting shampoo on them lol. If you don't like toys though you probably won't enjoy g2. It didn't have a cartoon.

And G1 was what started it and had a cartoon too. There are still selling G1 merch and playing into nostalgia so ofc it's important. There are memorable characters in it even though sometimes the ponies do seemed a little too similar. I posted on here b4 but here again ^^ 

Edited by Stardust

• 2 months later...

No.

If you take them as what they are as opposed to what you want them to be and enjoy them on their own level, they're all mostly fine for what they are. I wouldn't call any of them especially great (though tbh I don't consider any gen to be the peak of animation or writing - sorry G4 horse homies) but nearly all of them have redeeming qualities and were beloved by their target demographics.

Can't tell me nuthin' good about G3.5 though lmao, especially not that Newborn Cuties thing. Even hardcore all-gen collectors I've met hate those little suckers.

I think bronies back in the early days of the fandom just despised the idea of - gasp! - being associated with something girly. Horror of horrors indeed. Despite the foundation of the fandom being, uh, what it is. Glad to see that nowadays most of them are either man enough to not give a care if someone finds their interests femmey, or man enough to openly and unabashedly love any girly stuff they find themselves drawn to. :mlp_smug:

• Brohoof 2