Banner by ~ SFyr

Read Receipts

Frostgage

How do y'all feel about read receipts that let the other person know if you've read their text message or facebook message etc? I know these were very controversial when introduced on the iPhone several years ago. Personally I always turn them on - I love the transparency they offer, a good thing in conversations of any kind.

• Brohoof 1

Sometimes they're good. I like to use the time stamps to roughly figure which points during the day someone is available to talk to, and if I know the person well enough I can guess why they haven't responded for a considerable length of time. However, I like my space and there are certain people I don't want to be in contact with either in that moment or at all, and them seeing I've read their message puts me at a disadvantage because now there's an expectation of a response with few excuses for why you wouldn't give one.

Are you referring to Facebook messenger when a user’s icon hovers over a message you’ve sent them to show that your message has, in fact, been read? If so, I like this feature. I want to know if my messages are being opened and, hopefully, read.

• Brohoof 1

As a person who tries my best to ignore messages, I can't really say I like them.

There's some reasons why I might try to ignore people- mainly family that I have rocky relationships with.

And there's the problem that I also just really don't have the mental energy to have a pleasant conversation with anyone. The best you'll get out of me is one message as a continuation of our conversation once a week. I'm very rarely in a good position where I have free time and that I have something to talk about. My life is really uneventful, and I genuinely believe there is no "catching up" with people.

Anyways, I can't stand that others will see that I saw their message. Because they will then know I'm choosing to ignore them, and they wind up feeling like I've got some hostility toward them- 95% of the time, I don't.

Badges

• 2 months later...