Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books Do you read fanfiction?

TigerGeekGuy

I read a lot of MLP fanfiction. Notably romance. I like putting the Mane Six in awkward situations and seeing how well the fanfic writer knows the character's personalities. It also explores various different scenarios that reveal a lot of insight. Strangely enough, I don't like actual romance novels. Or romance in general.

Do you read fanfiction? Favorite genre? Why?

• Brohoof 4

Honestly, beyond artwork, that was my first major outlet of the brony community I spent time with.  :lol: My favorites list is probably 100+ strong on fimfiction by now, and I've read plenty more.  :) I've spent waaaay too much time spent reading fanfiction, honestly.

Anyways, romance is all and good, but to answer your question I suppose I like the slightly darker, more real-world interpretations of Equestria. This can take a slew of different faces, arguably my guilty favorite may be a human/other outsider comes to Equestria and upsets the natural balance of things, but it's often handled rather poorly or uncreatively. But still, I enjoy it, and I've found stories from all different genres to love.  :love:

• Brohoof 2

I do occasionally read them, yes. Sure, there's some out there that are just unbearably cringeworthy, but I do sometimes come across the odd one that I like and think is really well written, and manages to suck me in. :P Even the more poorly written ones can be good for a giggle if you take it less seriously.

Yes, I do read fanfiction! However, I pretty much read comedy exclusively. I'm not a shipper, so I hardly ever read romantic stuff, I tend to feel like that and the dark stuff is where a lot of the awkward writing is. It can be good if done right, but IMO it's just harder to write serious subjects than it is to write comedy.

I tend to read a good chunk of fanfics whenever the show goes through an hiatus, as it helps me to pass the time with no problem. 

The predominant genre is the romance (good one, with actual conflict), along with a bit of comedy or dramatic fanfics to spice up the things and add some variety to my taste.

I'd like to say I read fanfiction, but really I can count the number of fics I have completed on my fingers. Most of it is just pure shite that cant even be used to fertilize my front lawn. I write a lot more than I read though. I have spent at least 20 hours writing stories. At about 1000 words an hour it is some slow rolling.

NAh, I don't read fan fictions of any kind. Other than artwork, I am not really into most fan made works of shows and whatnot. Fan fics is probably the least on my list. I would prefer the more canon stories, but I won't deny that there are some really good stories out there written by fans of course. It just is not enough to make me want to read them. :P

• Brohoof 1

I used to now and then, now I probably will only read one... Once a year if not less? The quality of fanfiction has sort of declined especially on FiMFiction when people discovered they could just get featured by sex stories and troll fics.

I usually try to find dark fanfiction where the main character is an anti-hero (mostly human) with a cold, insensitive personality, without being a total emo, and who stays like that during all the fanfic, but having interactions with the mane 6. But I usually don't find any good ones

Oh I've got a list nearly 800 strong on my read later list. I'm pretty particular about what i read though. I tend to only look at fics w/ over 100 likes, or else I'd spend hours just reading synopsis, then save 'em for later.  I don't really have a particular favorite. I can tell you what I don't read, and that's crossovers, mature horror, and adventure fics. 

I do enjoy crackships, authors finding a way to make a random romance work, whether it be comedic, genuinely heartfelt or just shameless smut. 

I tend to like stories where characters that are considered "good guys", are actually working against each other or are oppressing the lead character. Stories where neither side is directly good or bad or the lead character is rebelling against the good guys. These are usually fics where Twi is being opposed by or working against the Princesses. 

I also enjoy stories where a character has a secret, and we either go though the story trying to figure it out, or we know what the secret is and watch as the main character tries to keep it that way.  In a somewhat related note, I also enjoy spin the bottle/ truth or dare fics. 

I honestly can't pin down a specific pattern to the stories I read. 

• Brohoof 1

I not only read fanfics but have a few under my belt in writing myself.   Yes I do MLP fics and such but I also branch out a lot from Ninja Turtles to Inuyasha and DBZ and a few others in truth.   Mostly it just depends on my mood in what I want to read but I've found a few good ones I also reread like a good book.

I read MLP fanfiction and some anime like Naruto, Pokemon, and others. Some genres I read are romance, comedy, adventure, and some dark stories. I like the development of characters in stories and how well written the stories can be.

• Brohoof 1

Big fanfic fan! I don't read many because I find it difficult being dyslexic. I waded through 'Friendship Is Optimal' yesterday and I so enjoyed that story :)

I like listening to MLP fanfic's on YouTube as well, which is where I transitioned from liking the cartoon to being a fan. Then I started writing my own stuff, from romantic through to dark and grim, at which point there was no denying I was a brony.

I love the clever ones and the ships. If it'll float I'll read it! Plus any kind of 'behind the scenes' or way off stuff like 'paper tigers', 'the iridescent iron rat', 'whome the princesses would destroy', 'five things that never happened to twilight sparkle'.

I have to confess that much of the time I like the fanfic's more than the cartoon itself :o

They can go places Hasbro would never let the cartoon stray.

• Brohoof 2

I used to now and then, now I probably will only read one... Once a year if not less? The quality of fanfiction has sort of declined especially on FiMFiction when people discovered they could just get featured by sex stories and troll fics.

This ^ I thought I was the only one who thought this. I made a thread about it on FimFiction, but of course I got berated with dislikes immediately.