Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books Do you read fanfiction?

TigerGeekGuy

This ^ I thought I was the only one who thought this. I made a thread about it on FimFiction, but of course I got berated with dislikes immediately.

Well of course because the people making those stories don't want their reign as number one to end. Making crappy trollfics and sex stories is the EASIEST way to get attention. It's already been proven this fandom has a very high sexual frustration level. Hell I remember once the ENTIRE featured box was all sex fics like 2 years ago. They had to purposely rework the formula for the featured box to stop sex fics and troll fics from dominating it every day.

I think like after 3 years they finally decided to make it so trollfics can't get featured. In my head I was just going "Yeah a little late now." The site is pretty much known as a NSFW area.

Well of course because the people making those stories don't want their reign as number one to end. Making crappy trollfics and sex stories is the EASIEST way to get attention. It's already been proven this fandom has a very high sexual frustration level. Hell I remember once the ENTIRE featured box was all sex fics like 2 years ago. They had to purposely rework the formula for the featured box to stop sex fics and troll fics from dominating it every day.

I think like after 3 years they finally decided to make it so trollfics can't get featured. In my head I was just going "Yeah a little late now." The site is pretty much known as a NSFW area.

Wait! The featured box is more than troll and sex fics now? I think all they did was make a separate box for mature fics and another for everyone-teen fics. Which pretty much is just two separate boxes for troll fics and clop fics. How convienent.

But I continue to use it because there are a few diamonds in that mine of fool's gold worth reading.

Wait! The featured box is more than troll and sex fics now? I think all they did was make a separate box for mature fics and another for everyone-teen fics. Which pretty much is just two separate boxes for troll fics and clop fics. How convienent.

But I continue to use it because there are a few diamonds in that mine of fool's gold worth reading.

Yeah you really have to dig through a mess of this to get to good stuff.

Bath tubs can be a risk!

It is a bit of a victim of it's own success being so big. You've got a few hours at most to make your story 'stick' before it gets buried. 'Nice and cute' arn't a big seller on there, but I've had a couple of nice comments. I don't really look any where else for content. All my favourite VA readings have lead back there so far.

Fanfictions fall into "things I could not give a flying feather" about. I really don't care for them, so I don't read. Especially MLP fanfiction. I care about them even less. I don't really have much interest in expanding the MLP lore or seeing things explained about it, because it's just a silly show of mild entertainment for me.

But I mean, when it's a chore for me to even get through an actual book, why would I read something that usually has little quality control? I know there are good writers out there, but I can't be bothered to find them in a sea of crap. If I stumble across a good fanfiction, and it's short or maybe just peaks my interest, then I'll read it. But that is very rare.

It's more likely for me to look at fanart or watch fan fiction in video form, like animations or a radio drama and such. It's just reading fiction is a chore in general for me. I have a lot of trouble imagining things in my mind, and comprehending/staying focused on what's going on. So I have to re-read things several times, as I usually don't get them appropriately the first time.

• Brohoof 1

Yep, I enjoy reading fanfictions. ^^ But I am extremely picky about what I read; which helps me wade through the trash a lot faster. I enjoy reading clean SoL, Adventure, and Comedy fics.

My all time favorite fanfiction is a SoL story called Under Her Wings by Karrakaz. When that story is updated, I get so excited and bubbly. :P It's truly a gem. There are lots of good fanfic writers out there; it just takes patience to find them.

• Brohoof 1

Nope, not really. I'll read fanfiction that my friends write, of course, but I guess I just prefer to do other things than read random fanfics.

I used to read Harry Potter fanfiction when I was much younger :derp:. Some of my favorite stories have been taken down since then :c

Ponies make good words- Fact.

I love a good fanfic, preferably a decent length romance that you can really get into it time and again, with unpredictable happenings and a solid shipping at the centre. Alternate shippings, usually involving Chrysalis are good, like Chrylestia, 'cos it's always interesting to see how a writer can make a relationship between characters with less pre-established ground. Though a nice, warm Twixie or Twidash never goes amiss. Saying that, there's been a few meaty gore/grimdark fics that I've really enjoyed too. 

I just download anything that sounds interesting and throw it on my phone to read at night. The really good ones keep my up 'til the dawn chorus. Gotta love Fimfiction.

I'm a huge fanfic reader oh jeez. You could say It's a guilty pleasure. Most of the stuff on Wattpad and Fanfiction.net tends to be less of quality and written by younger people or those who aren't super adept at English grammar or their writing style. I look for stuff on FiMFiction, ArchiveofOurOwn, LiveJournal, and tumblr for the crop that's written pretty lengthy and of quality. 

I have a large amount of fandoms and FiM certainly isn't my first to be introduced into fics. Thus far, I haven't seen a lot of fics I enjoy from MLP:FiM so I can see why some don't enjoy it all that much in turn if their own experiences are like my own. But overall maybe contrary to a popular belief a lot of fanfiction is well written. The stuff that isn't doesn't usually stick around to whatever website it was posted on for long. The criticism for fics comes at you like a battleaxe.

Edited by IncognitoKiwoy

I read fanfiction when I have time to kill and am in the mood. I'm a sucker for romances and short slice-of-life type stories. I tend to avoid longer series because it can really wreck my productivity and sleep schedule, but there are a few longer series that I have read (or am planning to) like The Golden Armor and Sugarfree.

I've been going through withdrawals waiting for Season 5 to resume, so in addition to watching original MLP vids on youtube, I have started reading a few of the more well know fanfics - Beyond Her Garden, My Roommate is A Vampire, etc. Some of them feel really detached from the original character (the sexuality in Vampire for example), and some feel more like an enhancement of the character (Derpy and Carrot Top) - or at least their backstory. Still reading Vampire. Hope it has a happy ending.

YES! 

constantly i have over 100 on my phone now and im still constantly looking for new good ones,  but i dont really like the ones with the mane six, mostly perfer background characters like spitfire, fleetfoot, lyra, ect....    makes it so the writer dosent need to stick to the way we see the main characters  :lol: