Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should I bother keeping Fluttershy as my main waifu?

Octavia Heartstrings

This is something that's been bothering me off and on for almost as long as Fluttershy has been my waifu, and after talking about it with a friend here on the forums, I decided to make a thread about it.

Should I bother keeping Fluttershy as a waifu? I mean, she gets ship-teased with Discord quite a bit, both in the show and by some staff members, and he's shown to be super possessive of her. He'd probably do something terrible if my ponysona ever showed up in the show and advanced on her, and Discord being Discord, who knows what he'd do. :o There's a reason "Discordant Harmony" is the only episode I've never seen. Also, I've never been a fan of Discord as a character to begin with.

In addition to Fluttershy, I also have a crush on Lyra. Perhaps I'd be more comfortable with Lyra as my main waifu, because I have no problem with lesbian ship-teasing. But again, I'm not sure. This is mainly a question for fellow pony waifu-ers, because I'd appreciate some input on this from those who have been in a similar position to me.

• Brohoof 1

I've heard of this many times before, so I'll see what I can do. Many characters have been ship-teased before - Twilight Sparkle had some sort of attraction to human Flash Sentry in the first two Equestria Girls films. Yet, there are a ton of people who would still call Twilight their waifu despite this. Now despite Discord being around, would you still say that you're still attracted to Fluttershy? If the fact that Discord being ship-teased with Fluttershy is what's irking you, I can understand, but I can also tell you that it doesn't matter.

As for having Lyra as your main. If that makes you feel more comfortable, go ahead! Having one is a personal choice, so don't feel overly pressured to choose.

• Brohoof 3

I don't really see the harm... While Discord seems to have a crush on Fluttershy (which is clearly implied at least in "The Break Up Break Down"), I haven't seen anything so far implying she considers him more than a friend. As for Discord doing something terrible, I'm sure Fluttershy wouldn't appreciate that... and shouldn't Discord have learned something from "Make New Friends but Keep Discord"? :ooh:

It might be subjective to an extent, but I see Lyra and Bon Bon as more of a canon couple than Fluttershy and Discord, looking at episodes like "Slice of Life", and again, "The Break Up Break Down".

• Brohoof 4

15 minutes ago, Cash In said:

Many characters have been ship-teased before - Twilight Sparkle had some sort of attraction to human Flash Sentry in the first two Equestria Girls films. Yet, there are a ton of people who would still call Twilight their waifu despite this.

True, but I think it's safe to say that in canon, that ship is dead now, something I'm not sure if I can say about Fluttershy and Discord.

14 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

As for Discord doing something terrible, I'm sure Fluttershy wouldn't appreciate that... and shouldn't Discord have learned something from "Make New Friends but Keep Discord"? :ooh:

True that.

14 minutes ago, Tacodidra said:

It might be subjective to an extent, but I see Lyra and Bon Bon as more of a canon couple than Fluttershy and Discord, looking at episodes like "Slice of Life", and again, "The Break Up Break Down".

It is definitely subjective, and I don't consider either of them canon to be honest, but as I said, I don't actually mind lesbian ship-teasing. It's just straight ship-teasing that pisses me off. Also, I think I'd be able to get along much better with Bon Bon than with Discord.

20 minutes ago, Cash In said:

Now despite Discord being around, would you still say that you're still attracted to Fluttershy?

Of course I'm still attracted to Fluttershy, but Discord being around and likely having a crush on her makes this attraction feel less comfortable for me. All things considered, I'm leaning towards switching to Lyra at the moment.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, my friends. I really appreciate it. :mlp_rarity:

• Brohoof 2

With your kindness you could say it proud "YOU ARE ALL GONNA LOVE ME !!!!  or you could "Hang out with your favorite kickass flyer Rainbowdash  haaaa  that's me I've been protecting ponies since the disaster of the windenadeos of everfree forest I had to save the awesome Zebra enchantress Zecora later have a rainboom night Shyabetes !

4 hours ago, shyabetes3939 said:

True, but I think it's safe to say that in canon, that ship is dead now, something I'm not sure if I can say about Fluttershy and Discord.

...Good point. Actually, I do remember Flash getting over her in Legend of Everfree. I'm glad that film managed to give him some character.

4 hours ago, shyabetes3939 said:

Of course I'm still attracted to Fluttershy, but Discord being around and likely having a crush on her makes this attraction feel less comfortable for me. All things considered, I'm leaning towards switching to Lyra at the moment.

Thanks for taking the time to comment, my friends. I really appreciate it. :mlp_rarity:

I can see your point. Even if this was the case, Discord would've mellowed out a bit by now. As Tacodidra said, he learnt a valuable lesson in Make New Friends but Keep Discord. I doubt he'd go to lengths to challenge that.

Make whatever choice your comfortable with. Remember that it isn't a requirement to have a waifu.

• Brohoof 2

Cartoon love is cartoon love, man. :laugh: Go ahead and make waifus of whatever characters you want. Just promise me you'll watch Discordant Harmony though. Seriously, that episode is a gem. Even if you don't like Discord, it shows a special side of him that explains why he and Fluttershy get along so well. ;)

Awww... alright, reading this made me feel kinda sad :(

Comeon, don't let Discord intimidate you. Besides if he pulled something like that, there's no way he'd get back in Fluttershy's good graces without a TON of penance. Worst thing he would do at this point is show up with Tirek as his date to the Gala, but I'm pretty sure he already learned his lesson.

I don't think potential rivalries are a good reason to walk away from someone though. It should be about what you feel towards her, not about any potential outside forces getting in the way. I don't see it as any different than pushing love away because of differing social status, racial issues, or whatever. Besides, possessiveness is a bad trait and Fluttershy, especially in recent years, gets very angry when anyone makes decisions for her that should be her own to make. It's her call, not Discord's. He'd have to deal.

...besides, I think he still has a bit of a crush on Princess Celestia.

Edited by BornAgainBrony
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...
7 minutes ago, LyraLover 💚 said:

This is such an outdated topic :ButtercupLaugh:

Lyra's been my waifu for over a year and half now :arethosehands:

I was just going through old topics and I stumbled across this one. :twi:

Anyways, did you change your main waifu to Lyra only because Fluttershy was taken by Discord or because you wanted to?

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, EpicEnergy said:

I was just going through old topics and I stumbled across this one. :twi:

Anyways, did you change your main waifu to Lyra only because Fluttershy was taken by Discord or because you wanted to?

Ah, I see. Trying to boost your post count? :D

Kind of a mix of both. I was having doubts about Fluttershy for the reasons stated in my original post, and at the same time I was starting to have more and more of a crush on Lyra. I officially changed my waifu to Lyra on the 26th of January 2019. :arethosehands:

• Brohoof 1

10 minutes ago, LyraLover 💚 said:

Ah, I see. Trying to boost your post count? :D

The main reason I do it is just because it's fun and I enjoy it, but also as a side reason it is to boost my post count.

12 minutes ago, LyraLover 💚 said:

Kind of a mix of both. I was having doubts about Fluttershy for the reasons stated in my original post, and at the same time I was starting to have more and more of a crush on Lyra. I officially changed my waifu to Lyra on the 26th of January 2019. :arethosehands:

Thanks for telling me, I was wondering why you changed your waifu and now I know! And I don't see anything wrong with changing your waifu to Lyra.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, EpicEnergy said:

Thanks for telling me, I was wondering why you changed your waifu and now I know! And I don't see anything wrong with changing your waifu to Lyra. 

No problem! ^_^ It's important to have whatever waifu gives you the best laifu. :P

• Brohoof 2

Bruh, Fluttershy is super hot and definitely the mare of my life! I would do anything to be with her and make her happy. And Discord, well, if he wants to be an ass about it, that's his problem. I would do anything to get that annoying, big baby out of my way.