Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Wouldn't you feel so much better if you were the only human alive to enjoy and dictate anything?

PCutter

The only existing human  

31 users have voted

1. 1. Would you really insist being the only human in existence so you can dictate and enjoy everything?

• Yes, because everyone else is an obstacle getting in my way. But now that they're all gone, my word is law.
    • No because nothing's worth anything if there's nobody around to share it with.

That's a rather selfish way to look at things. I would change a lot of things about the world but that's not my place to do so. The world is the way it is. Suck it up and live with it.

• Brohoof 3

• 1 year later...

No. I'd say there's some hefty consequences to being the only human alive. Like I hope you know how to perform surgery on yourself. Being the only human alive you'll need to do that since you yeeted all the doctors and nurses out of existence. Have fun performing open heart surgery on yourself. 

I get people can suck but we sometimes do need other people.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly I don’t need to share my interests with others in order to enjoy them. It can be fun sometimes but more often than not, if I really love something I prefer to enjoy it internally, on my own quiet level. It seems more special to me that way. I don’t mind being with others but most people I know have different interests and think the things I love are weird or way out of proportion to their merits.

• Hugs 1

Despite my introversion, the concept of being the only person alive fills me with an overwhelming and pervasive existential dread rivaled by few other ideas. I've always felt this way, as pondering this now mirrors my childhood response to the first time I saw Time Enough at Last.

Beyond loneliness and the accompanying despair, which would be undoubtedly immense, there lies a deeper madness in considering the definitions underlying reality itself.

From my limited and inaccurate human perception, everything seems paradoxically defined in relation to something else. Joy is defined in relation to despair, good is defined in relation to evil, presence is defined in relation to absence, life is defined in relation to death, and so on. Even the colors we physically perceive have comparable relations to each other.

My identity and overall perception of self is defined through innumerable perceived relations to others and my environment. If my environment were wholly absent of others, even so far as to be absent in memory: if I perceived myself as being the only human being, I would no longer have or understand any recognizable definition of human, identity, or self. I cannot comprehend let alone describe what existence or awareness would "be like" in the absence of such fundamental relative definitions.

Surely I would be alive, and surely I would either build a new schema from my abandoned environment or die. I simply cannot visualize what such a schema would be beyond "I am not" as relative to that which I perceived around me: but where would that chain lead?

• 4 months later...