Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you happy with the CMC's arc?

Sepul-Coloratura

(edited)

It seems like the show is almost ending and the CMC's arc is pretty much concluded. It's time to turn back and judge if it actually turned out to be good and talk about how it's been since they got their cutie marks.

I always thought that MLP might not ever show the CMC's getting their cutie makrs in the show until the end. (I expected the same with Spike's physical growth.) But honestly, I didn't care if they get the cutie mark in the firat place. I always knew they would get it eventually like any other ponies. It's same with Granny Smith's death. We know it's going to happen one day, but maybe not in the show.

It seems like a unique choice the show has made in Crusaders of the Lost Mark. I thought the CMCs would get a different cutie mark (most likely potion making, singing, sports) and they would have a different job each after they become an adult. The dicision to define them as someone finding cutie marks are too meta so to speak. The CMC's constant obsession about getting cutie marks was more of an aftermath than a vision. It would be something like Lois Lane complaining about getting kidnapped by bad guys constantly. It's deeply related to the show's inherited nature or even flaws.

I didn't had the impression that their activities were meant to be considered that seriously either. Their concerns are serious enough, but in the adult's eyes, it's not that much of a big deal after all. The cutie mark quests were more like their excuses to have fun and play, and the writers excuse to put them in trouble.

The biggest problem was that the show took it too long. It was almost 5 real time years that they were being blank flanks and worrying with the same issue, which gave the false impression that the young kids were doing it for five years. That's why it became meta and self reflecting and became overly serious. Maybe it wasn't meant to be solved or it was just a character traits the writers gave, and maybe it wasn't designed to be continued for that long.

The unfortunate part is that they seemed to have the idea about the unique case of shared cutie marks, which only briefly explained at the background and never commit to actually deal with the special idea. And they didn't go the seperate potion / singing / scooter way either, only their cutie mark figures vaguely suggest that it was an unused data from the show, even they had a great buildup episode and a great episode in it's own right like Twilight Time. I think they were too much hesitant to go further enough with the idea, so they compromised. But the end result seems quite like an odd place for kids to end up with.

Other problem was how the show sees them, they are defined as the CMC's first, then the individuals second. I liked the early shows episodes about separate crusaders stories. They were the CMCs when together, but they were actually more interesting when they had nothing to do with the cutie mark crusaders stuff.

Also, the impression that they reached the end goal of their lives seems weird. It would have made much more sense if the CMCs appeared to have physical growth like young Applejack from Where the Apple Lies. Or their future plans like going to the collage that they want or something. It feels like a stalemate and a fixed complete frame of painting that they wrapped up nicely. I want the impression that only 1/10 of their lives has passed and there are so much more for them to go through.

Maybe it's because MLP has a sitcom structure so it's hard to make characters grow. Imagine the Mane Six getting married for example. Yeesh. Those kinds of things has to be done so right, that becomes impossible. Same with Spike's wings, princesses retiring, Twilight becoming you-know-what. The only example I think it worked perfectly in the show is Cadence and Shining Armor having a baby.

• What is your opinion about the show's decision with the CMC's cutie marks and their duty?
  • Do you think it turned out to be great?
  • Do you think they had to walk a different path? What could have been done better?
Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1

I think that the girls got the treatment they deserve. It’s clear what their purpose is and we now know what they are doing to achieve it; that being helping any and all that seek them out. I’m not entirely sure what else could be done with the three at this point. I am more than satisfied with what has transpired.

• Brohoof 2

No I want a Sweetie Belle solo focus episode with Scoots and Bloom complelty abesent Bloom and Scoots both had one so now its Sweeties turn.

• Brohoof 1

I’m glad that they didn’t drag out them getting their cutie marks for nine seasons. Having them learn that they needed to help others instead of just themselves is s good message for kids. The fact that it was something that they realized on their own instead of being spoon fed the lesson made it so much better. 

• Brohoof 1

I am actually quite happy with them. Usually I have a lot of bad things to say in threads like this. But the CMC arc was pretty much fine. Trying to get the cutie marks was fun to watch. ^_^

• Brohoof 2

Both before and after getting their marks has been one interesting journey. Even when they get the wrong idea (Hard to Say Anything), their hearts and intentions were in the right place.

• Brohoof 1

Their arc is great, it was probably the easiest arc for any main character and it was well delivered.

The only thing missing for them was having grown up in design just as much as they did in personality. A little stretching after S6 would have been perfect for them.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I want them to travel over Equestria to help ponies with their cutie mark problems, as it was mentioned in On Your Marks. Season 5 is a perfect conclusion for CMC, not spending 4 seasons later to not do anything 'progressive'. After season 5, FIM just didnt have enough courage to do break the status-quo just as much as they did in the past, but at least Crusader of The Lost Mark is a proof when the show still had strength in them.

Edited by Lambdadelta
  • Brohoof 2