Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler Who caused the wasteland in The Cutie Re-Mark?

Shady Mist

In "The Cutie Re-Mark (Part 2)" the final alternate future of the desolate wasteland, could Celestia have become Daybreaker causing it, or could Ahuizotl have finshed the ring ceremony from Daring Don't to "unleash 800 years of unrelenting sweltering heat"?

Edited by Shady Mist
  • Brohoof 1

2 minutes ago, Lucky Bolt said:

I’d say it was Tirek. Daybreaker was just a vision in Starlight’s nightmare. 

But Tirek's dominated future was already seen. Before the bad future where Discord was never defeated in S2 Premiere

It wouldn't make sense to have the same bad future be controlled by the same main baddie. It would feel redundant.

• Brohoof 2

Technically none of the previous timelines except for Nightmare Moon's made any immediate sense because all of these villains should still show up in rough order. Hers is different because she wouldn't put up with the nonsense of any competitors.

I doubt Daybreaker would've done the world in like that on her own since Nightmare Moon's reality wasn't iced over, and the one we saw looked to be more than just everything set ablaze. Perhaps that was a reality where Daybreaker and Nightmare Moon truly faced off, or all the Villains went against each other. Or maybe it's an alternate reality where Grogar wins in the end? I have no idea what's going on in the series right now :twismile: but those are some possibilities.

Based on the fact that every other timeline was dominated by a foe that the Mane 6 had already faced, I’m willing to bet that this reality was showing what would’ve happened if the parasprites weren’t stopped. Namely that they would’ve eaten everything in Equestria. 

Edited by RulesofRarity

I completely believe that it is Daybreaker. Biggest villain would be evil Celestia and the world looks scorched... like all life has been burned away. Tirek doesn't make sense because they showed Tirek timeline.

• Brohoof 1

On 9/28/2019 at 11:32 AM, RulesofRarity said:

Namely that they would’ve eaten everything in Equestria.

There would have been no building-eating parasprites without Twilight.

20 minutes ago, Kadeda said:

I completely believe that it is Daybreaker.

What would have caused her to do that? Even Nightmare Moon did not destroy everything (I'm pretty sure ruling over a dead world was not as appealing).

On the other hand, maybe it was the time when Cerberus left Tartarus unguarded, so everyone escaped?

Or maybe Sunset took over Equestria?

It's hard to say. I'm not sure how keeping the mane six apart would stop Daybreaker, because they didn't actually stop Daybreaker at any point. And as far as we know, Daybreaker has never actually existed. But the fire theme seems to make sense for such a desolate landscape. 

Sometimes I wonder if that was supposed to be Starlight's timeline, but that seems like a stretch. 

58 minutes ago, AlexanderThrond said:

Sometimes I wonder if that was supposed to be Starlight's timeline, but that seems like a stretch. 

It's not as much a stretch as you may think. Every time Twilight went to a future there wassome kind of life to it with just different villains/antagonists they faced in control instead. However that last jump into the future was different because instead of just Twilight and Spike being transported back after the timeline was disrupted, they bring Starlight back with them.

This matters because of they're roles in the original time spell. Starlight's spell was meant to cast her back into that specific point in time and then she would go back herself once the Mane 6 timeline was disrupted. The truth is, though, she never got to go back to a future because Twilight kept recasting the spell with the table map which was also the only thing that was brought into the futures with them due to it's function in the original spell. This means when Starlight would watch Twilight and Spike be forcefully sucked back to the future, while she wouldn't as she would just recast the spell to send her back to the original point in time. But before she could even react she would be immediately brought back to a few moments ago because Twilight re-cast the spell. Twilight and Spike are the only ones that remember the alternate futures because they are the only one's the spell is meant for, as Starlight indicated in her monologue of explaining why she left the spell for Twilight to use. All Starlight remembers is the consecutive disruption attempts that she is constantly doing and then getting reversed which she easily learns from.

Okay with that explanation out of the way, what this has to do with the wasteland future comes from the original return trip of the spell only being meant for Twilight and Spike, but by Twilight taking Starlight with her, an unforeseen element in the original time spell, I have to believe the space time continuum was thrown completely off, actually not even dumping them in a real future caused by any actual event but an almost limbo like area where time doesn't exist and the world is completely barren, because the spell had no measures to accommodate Starlight's inclusion. Of course she can still reverse it and change it to include her like she did with the bonus trip to Sire's Hollow which actually seemed to be a variation on the spell as she never actually cast it again to take them back to the Rainboom Moment it just sucked them back after Starlight showed what she wanted of her backstory.

It is clearing up what the spell actually does which is to take the caster to a specific known moment in the past and either be an observer to said moment and then be taken back once it has passed or if they change it they are taken immediately back after said change. Of course it's Starlight's spell though so she can probably decide whether she is effected or not.

5 minutes ago, KH7672 said:

(stuff)

So only Twilight and Spike were able to fit through the space time continuum, and Starlight travelling through broke it? That makes some sense, though I think it goes against the point of that scene. If that wasteland isn’t really an alternate future, why should it convince Starlight not to change the past? 

2 hours ago, AlexanderThrond said:

So only Twilight and Spike were able to fit through the space time continuum, and Starlight travelling through broke it? That makes some sense, though I think it goes against the point of that scene. If that wasteland isn’t really an alternate future, why should it convince Starlight not to change the past? 

Because Twilight was convinced it was. She spoke in hyperbole for a reason "I wish I was surprised...every world I come back to is worse than the last." Twilight didn't know what future they were going to end up in, but she knew all she had to do was sell Starlight on the idea that whatever situation they ended up in was the future, even if my theory persists it isn't. It also can impact the scene in displaying to Starlight how dangerous and unstable of a spell she's dealing with in her plan, if even the tiniest unforseen inclusion leads there.

And realy the sight didn't exactly change her mind that easily either:

Twilight Sparkle: Like I said, everything in the past affects the future, even the tiniest act. And what you're doing leads here. I know I can't stop you, but I thought showing you this might change your mind.

Starlight Glimmer: Change my mind? You don't know anything about me! 

Twilight Sparkle: Starlight, you're right! I don't know what you went through! But I do know you can't do this! I've seen where this leads, and so have you!

Starlight Glimmer: I only saw what you showed me! Who knows what'll really happen?

Twilight Sparkle: I've seen it a dozen times! Things don't turn out well in Equestria without my friends!

I don't doubt the sight may have softened her, but Twilight needed to hit her desire for ideal friendships to really get to her, because that's the only future she wanted.

Edited by KH7672

1 hour ago, KH7672 said:

Because Twilight was convinced it was. She spoke in hyperbole for a reason "I wish I was surprised...every world I come back to is worse than the last." Twilight didn't know what future they were going to end up in, but she knew all she had to do was sell Starlight on the idea that whatever situation they ended up in was the future, even if my theory persists it isn't. It also can impact the scene in displaying to Starlight how dangerous and unstable of a spell she's dealing with in her plan, if even the tiniest unforseen inclusion leads there.

And realy the sight didn't exactly change her mind that easily either:

I don't doubt the sight may have softened her, but Twilight needed to hit her desire for ideal friendships to really get to her, because that's the only future she wanted.

All good points. But I do think seeing the ruined future affected her composure, which made it easier for Twilight to get through to her. 

• Brohoof 2

On 9/29/2019 at 7:49 PM, Pentium100 said:

There would have been no building-eating parasprites without Twilight.

I guess it’s possible that another unicorn casted that spell? Or they came to Canterlot and Twilight casted it? I’m just going off the fact that every other future was dominated by an antagonist we’d seen before and none of antagonists post s5 were threatening enough to cause a future like this.

• 1 year later...