Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

COVID-19 Experiences

Fluttershutter

So there's a thread about grievances but does ANYBODY actually have this virus? I really think it's a really overblown panic.

Do you or anybody you know have it and what is it like?

Nobody in my family has it and nobody where I work does. It's a pretty big place.

• Brohoof 1

Other than the inconvenience of having to wear masks on the street, not much, really.

It is a dissapoinment, however, that people is so easy to influence by media. Regardless of the "danger" of any given situation, there is an element of fear and paranoia generated by themselves that is a detriment to their well-being.
The underlying ignorance of humanity is a bigger threat than any form of disease.

• Brohoof 2

@Fluttershutter While it is clear it is an overblown panic, it is also very real, and people are dying in the 1000's.

I don't think people will tell if they got it or not, since it is a risk they might die.

You can probably guess who got it right now, if you look at what people usually come online on this forum, but don't anymore. Some disappeared not too long ago, and while people do leave this place from time to time, these people basically lived here. I really hope they are all okay. But I also respect them if they don't want to say it out loud.

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Super Splashee said:

@Fluttershutter While it is clear it is an overblown panic, it is also very real, and people are dying in the 1000's.

I don't think people will tell if they got it or not, since it is a risk they might die.

You can probably guess who got it right now, if you look at what people usually come online on this forum, but don't anymore. Some disappeared not too long ago, and while people do leave this place from time to time, these people basically lived here. I really hope they are all okay. But I also respect them if they don't want to say it out loud.

Well I hope everybody's okay but honestly if people are sick, even in the hospital, I'd think they'd still be on the internet a lot. Remember only people who are already pretty sick will die from this.

I don’t know for sure but I had to quarantine a few weeks ago with symptoms of it.

I think this virus is worth the panic it’s causing. At least most of it. Keep in mind even if you don’t have a severe reaction to it, who is to say the same will be true of those around you who might catch it?

If my best friend gets it (God forbid), he will probably die. It’s already killed my favorite musician and I have heard of it killing a few people not all that much older than me. I say be cautious. If not for yourself than for the sake of others.

• Brohoof 3

I agree with it being an overblown panic. I feel locking down the world was very unnecessary. I will say though, the symptoms of this virus can be very severe, even in younger people. Me and my immediate family got it back in February (not completely confirmed but a doctor told us recently it was most likely Corona that we had). My younger brothers and sister and my mom had it the worst. We almost had to take my brother to the ER as he got extremely dehydrated. My mom also developed low-grade pneumonia because of it, and the rest of us developed bronchitis afterwards. It was pretty tough but we all recovered well. Even still, there's people who are testing positive for the virus yet are showing no symptoms, as if they aren't sick at all. I've been considering going to one of these Covid-19 antibody testing sites to confirm that's what I had, and maybe that way I'll be able to donate some of my plasma to help people who have it or hey, who knows, my plasma could even contribute to a vaccine for the virus. 

• Brohoof 1

I have asthma have already had pneumonia twice so I admit I am scared of it especially as I don't think it is likely I would live if I got it. Know nobody who's had it but I know someone who knows someone who had it. That said I don't know to be honest, I believe the lockdowns were too much but at least for us that are with more sensitive lungs should do their best to stay safe. Yet that said, I think the media is doing it to make money of it.

Edited by Fluttershyfan94

20 hours ago, Fluttershutter said:

Remember only people who are already pretty sick will die from this.

Yes, but it is also something people might want to keep to themselves. It is not something to be proud of, to have caught the virus.

If I were sick, I would feel very sick as well, obviously. If I didn't feel sick, I probably wouldn't know if I caught the virus or not. I am almost positive, no one that is sick wants to be online and talking on this forum, or any other place.

I don't know anyone who tested positive. I haven't had a fever or cough even though I am still working with the public most of the day. No one's been out sick at my work either. People are not working by choice though.

I was talking with someone earlier via PM and this is what I came up with what the situation could be I AM NOT AN EXPERT- This is just my best informed guess on info I could get and with simple math.

This thing is just crazy contagious. In total it may not be that deadly overall. but our population is so big that if everyone is sick at once, those who need to go to the hospital wouldn't have a bed meaning those who could've been saved would die due to lack of capacity. I've seen some studies that say that the actual number of people infected may be like 20-50x the confirmed case number. they just don't get tested or go to hospitals because they don't show any symptoms, or have very minor symptoms and just recover on their own. Our actual testing is very limited here in the US due to lack of appropriate supplies and efficient logistics.

today cases here are 840,625 so if 50X that really are infected than that's 42,031,250‬

Total deaths today are 47,000   so 47,000 / 42,031,250= 0.0011 so that means the death rate could possibly be as low as 0.11% :o  So just over 1 person per 1000 might be the actual death rate. But that still means if the entire population of 325,000,000 was infected, about 358,000 total would die at least. That's why we need the vaccine. Has it really spread 50X the confirmed case #'s? Realistically probably not at this point.

People with underlying conditions and older obviously are more at risk.

Our neighbor (1 house down) came down the virus. She worked as a nurse at a hospital so her coming down with it wasn’t too big of a surprise. She was hospitalized for a little less than a week and is home now recovering. 

8 hours ago, Super Splashee said:

Yes, but it is also something people might want to keep to themselves. It is not something to be proud of, to have caught the virus.

If I were sick, I would feel very sick as well, obviously. If I didn't feel sick, I probably wouldn't know if I caught the virus or not. I am almost positive, no one that is sick wants to be online and talking on this forum, or any other place.

Well I'm not saying be proud but it's nothing to be ashamed of either. I'm just trying to get an idea of how many people are actually sick.

And when you're sick there's nothing much to do but go online.

I don't know anyone who's gotten it, nor do I know anyone who knows anyone who's gotten it.  Guess that makes me lucky. 

I'm just having a hard time reconciling some facts about this thing.  A lot of conservatives have been pushing the idea that this is nothing more than a seasonal flu from day 1, and that seems like foolish nonsense to me.  Throughout this whole adventure, if anything I'd say we're not doing enough in terms of social distancing.  But now some new data has come out that strongly suggests that orders of magnitude more people have gotten this thing than we thought.  These people either didn't know they had it, or just had mild cold symptoms, and recovered.  These cases went unreported.  This means that the mortality rate is far lower than we thought.  Like, at least a tenth the rate.  This might seem to suggest that it really isn't any worse than a seasonal flu, but someone pushing that narrative still has all of their work ahead of them to explain what has happened/is happening in Italy, Spain, and New York City, among other places.  These are battle triage conditions.  People are dying because there literally aren't enough hospital beds and ventilators.  You can listen to doctors telling us over and over again that they've never seen anything like this in their entire lives.  Doctors and nurses are dying at an alarming rate.  Parking lots are being converted into makeshift hospitals, and ice rinks are being converted into makeshift morgues.  That doesn't happen with the seasonal flu.  So what's the deal?  What are we to make of this study showing that many, many more people than we thought have covid antibodies?  If it's not that deadly, then how do we explain these catastrophic hotspots?  Is it no more deadly, or even less deadly, than the flu, but just exponentially more contagious?  Is it simply that so many people are getting it that the law of large numbers means that many more will die than from the flu, even though the mortality rate may be lower?  I just don't know.  I just don't know what to think.

On 4/29/2020 at 4:00 PM, Fluttershutter said:

bump

Well, one person where I work supposedly got it but I hope this thread being dead for a week makes some people settle down.

The infected curve sadly keeps rising here in Sweden. People are sure getting less careful because of time, but we are dealing with a virus than noone has a built in immune system against. If you have any weakness of any kind, I still suggest you to stay safe.

A few people just one year older than me has been hospitalized, needing help to breathe to survive (two from my own village). Sure, you don't see anything on the street (so it is not happening right?). Thankfully you don't want to see it on the streets.