Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv I dislike Futurama and here’s why. What did you think about the show?

Sparkleberry

Its legit just derpy show. Simpsons and Futurama share same thing, and that is keeping it safe. Its just legit boring TV series.

One thing Family guy does better is, it never plays safe. It always does something and tries something. You never see that with the "But Meeeeerge" type of plot or friggin spaceship junk of jokes Futurama has or the absolute dumb designs it has. Simpsons has good design it just doesnt do anything good to execute anything, Futurama overall is just terrible all the way.

South Park i think is the best show though, good show, good design, always does something fun. So i like that. If anything i would put that as a mascot show in US because it is great.

Your first mistake is thinking Futurama and the Simpsons are the same thing. While both are made with older audiences in mind, the Simpsons is much more family oriented while Futurama is made solely for older audiences which allows it to get away with more jokes and plotlines. Second

45 minutes ago, Sparkleberry said:

One thing Family guy does better is, it never plays safe

Have you even been watching Family Guy recently? Ever since its revival Its the same homogenized crap as all the other McFarlane cartoons have been, Pop-Culture references and annoying Cutaways that rely solely on edgy shock humor and fart jokes to get cheap laughs. Heck, even Seth McFarlane has admitted on multiple occasions that the series isn't very good and should have ended a long time ago

• Brohoof 8

(edited)
11 minutes ago, KiryuChan said:

Your first mistake is thinking Futurama and the Simpsons are the same thing. While both are made with older audiences in mind, the Simpsons is much more family oriented while Futurama is made solely for older audiences which allows it to get away with more jokes and plotlines. Second

Have you even been watching Family Guy recently? Ever since its revival Its the same homogenized crap as all the other McFarlane cartoons have been, Pop-Culture references and annoying Cutaways that rely solely on edgy shock humor and fart jokes to get cheap laughs. Heck, even Seth McFarlane has admitted on multiple occasions that the series isn't very good and should have ended a long time ago

Edgy humour usually does new stuff. Playing it safe and indoor cat jokes that simpsons does is lame and awful. Futurama and Simpsons is basically same ting, they are both lame. Here is something that is literally funnier than watching Simpsons

Edit: also if your complaint is if its too low brow for you? (which is what pseudo intellectuals on youtube dont like i notice) You may be more fan of Mike Judge who is also funny. King of the Hill for example. Way better.

But Simpsons is only better than Futurama interms of design atleast "execution is lack luster however" but Futurama as a whole is friggin terrible

Edited by Sparkleberry

1 hour ago, Sparkleberry said:

Edgy humour usually does new stuff. Playing it safe and indoor cat jokes that simpsons does is lame and awful. Futurama and Simpsons is basically same ting, they are both lame. Here is something that is literally funnier than watching Simpsons

Edit: also if your complaint is if its too low brow for you? (which is what pseudo intellectuals on youtube dont like i notice) You may be more fan of Mike Judge who is also funny. King of the Hill for example. Way better.

But Simpsons is only better than Futurama interms of design atleast "execution is lack luster however" but Futurama as a whole is friggin terrible

I am a big fan of King of the Hill, more than all the shows you're mentioning, but that doesn't mean anything, I still think you're selling Futurama and the Simpsons severely short, heck, even King of the Hill regularly pays tribute to the Simpsons in a few ways

also if your complaint is if its too low brow for you? (which is what pseudo intellectuals on youtube dont like i notice)

The issue isn't even the lowbrow humor, it's the fact that they don't even try at all

• Brohoof 5

I did a marathon of Futurama a while ago, and I forgot how hilarious it is. Comparing it to The Simpsons is a common mistake made by people who haven't seen a lot of Futurama; they're both different in their audiences and style of humour. Comparing them to Family Guy is even worse, they're all different from each other.

11 hours ago, Sparkleberry said:

Playing it safe with a joke doesn't mean that it isn't funny, and vice versa. Those videos you linked aren't funny imo, not because it points out The Simpsons' flaws, but it's how the creator of these videos present it. It's obvious they don't like the show, and the punchline is almost always "haha I hate this show" because of it. It's more petty than funny, if anything. A lot of creators these days rely on this kind of humour if they have something theu hate, and it even comes off as boring because of it

Edgy humour is far more predictable than what you make it out to be. You get more cheap laughs out from going with the easy way out and making fun of specific groups of people.

• Brohoof 1

9 hours ago, Odyssey said:

I did a marathon of Futurama a while ago, and I forgot how hilarious it is. Comparing it to The Simpsons is a common mistake made by people who haven't seen a lot of Futurama; they're both different in their audiences and style of humour. Comparing them to Family Guy is even worse, they're all different from each other.

Playing it safe with a joke doesn't mean that it isn't funny, and vice versa. Those videos you linked aren't funny imo, not because it points out The Simpsons' flaws, but it's how the creator of these videos present it. It's obvious they don't like the show, and the punchline is almost always "haha I hate this show" because of it. It's more petty than funny, if anything. A lot of creators these days rely on this kind of humour if they have something theu hate, and it even comes off as boring because of it

Edgy humour is far more predictable than what you make it out to be. You get more cheap laughs out from going with the easy way out and making fun of specific groups of people.

Reason i liked the Simpsons when i was 14.. was because i never saw the show. I live in Norway and was never exposed to it til i was 14. But as a kid when i was 7 maybe, i played this on Super Nintendo, and it was way more fun because the design and i could picture how cool this was.

The show however just does.. nothing.. and thats whats sad.

I see futurama as an "old school" comedy show, where their satire jokes are spot-on without trying hard to be funny or edgy unlike some new adult show these days.  Family guy was okay but I tends to grow tried and annoyed with the same jokes being told differently.  Simpson in my opinion still has it charm and funny because I appreciated them for not trying so hard to make us laugh. Sure they deem it down the inappropriateness, but I think people should also know that just because it's not "inappropriate" as this or that, that doesn't mean it's not funny or good anymore. Inappropriate "edgy" content does not equal comedy. It just makes you look like a petty comedian looking for a cheap laugh.

But overall, comedy is subjective so it's all depends on what other find it funny to them or not. For me I don't find inappropriate jokes funny, especially if it was told for the 100th time in different ways. It's rare for me to laugh at some. I’m more of a dark/satire humor guy.