general Why does green often go with red and blue as a three color combination?

AlicornSpell

Here's are some examples:

Huey, Dewey, and Louie | Disney Wiki | Fandom

The Density Song by Alvin and the Chipmunks!! This is very cute! | Chipmunks  movie, Alvin and the chipmunks, Alvin and chipmunks movie

The Rowdyruff Boys/Gallery | Powerpuff girls wallpaper, Rowdyruff boys,  Powerpuff boys

Flora, Fauna and Merryweather - Wikipedia

I always thought yellow made more sense to go along with red and blue as a trio than green, red, blue do since yellow, red, and blue are all primary colors.

image.png.98316d22551d080bf152e39cfe9570a1.png

Edited by AlicornSpell
  • Brohoof 1

Because yellow is not cool yo (actually personally i love that colour)

I guess tho it stands out too much but you can see they did use yellow in some of the design elements like the duck beaks, Alvin's hoodie etc. 

Its like at school we have four houses but one of them is green lol. But there is no purple or orange house. Green does have yellow in it though I guess ha

Id say tho green has a better feel alongside those colours 

Edited by flurry

It is an artistic choice. You only have so and so many colors to choose from, and if you want 3, and you want to have good distinguishable colors, red, green and blue sure works. However, look at all the world's different flags, which usually have 3 colors, you will not see many red green and blue variants.

As for RGB monitors, adding light together this way works, but it is not the only way. Printing on paper uses different colors to produce the result color. The main problem with RGB as representing colors is the fact that you cannot represent the brightness of a color without adding in other colors. Take the color red, and brighten it up to max, you will still have a very contrast red, but not a "bright" red. But our eyes can see much brighter red. I am still looking into these matters as I try to simulate more analog colors in my games.

4 hours ago, AlicornSpell said:

Here's are some examples:

Huey, Dewey, and Louie | Disney Wiki | Fandom

The Density Song by Alvin and the Chipmunks!! This is very cute! | Chipmunks  movie, Alvin and the chipmunks, Alvin and chipmunks movie

The Rowdyruff Boys/Gallery | Powerpuff girls wallpaper, Rowdyruff boys,  Powerpuff boys

Flora, Fauna and Merryweather - Wikipedia

Your picture results look like they tried to steal the ideas from each other. Not just colors :devious:

• Brohoof 2

while it would make more sense with yellow instead of green because red/blue/yellow are the primary colors, I think it's because green stands out a little bit more and doesn't have a "personality" assigned to it? generally with these trios it doesn't fit to have a "yellow, happy, bubbly" personality attached to them (usually reserved for the girls, eyeroll). 

or it's just because yellow is a bright and distracting color

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, Splashee said:

Printing on paper uses different colors to produce the result color.

Because light adds and paint subtracts. Mix all primary light colors (RGB) and you get white, mix all primary paint colors (CMY) and you get black.

• Brohoof 1

15 minutes ago, CypherHoof 🐎 said:

We CAN only see red, green and blue.

And Earth is flat. :ButtercupLaugh:

We can see the color spectrum. You know? Rainbow Dash's mane! (her colors are a bit simplified though) :wacko:

39 minutes ago, Pentium100 said:

Because light adds and paint subtracts. Mix all primary light colors (RGB) and you get white, mix all primary paint colors (CMY) and you get black.

My printer cannot use its black color, because I didn't turn it on for a month! printers are such bullsh*t.

Anyways, that is a good explanation! I wish to know more hardware that uses other colors to represent the entire color spectrum, if there are any?

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, Splashee said:

We can see the color spectrum. You know? Rainbow Dash's mane! (her colors are a bit simplified though) :wacko:

And magenta, don't forget magenta.

However, he is not entirely wrong, after all, human eyes are RGB and all the other colors, the way we perceive them, are a mix of those three. Including Rainbow's mane, if you are looking at her on a TV or monitor.

Edited by Pentium100
  • Brohoof 1

19 minutes ago, Splashee said:

Anyways, that is a good explanation! I wish to know more hardware that uses other colors to represent the entire color spectrum, if there are any?

There were some color film formats that used different colors (sometimes only two). But, because eyes work in RGB, it makes sense to have monitors in RGB. Some printers use more colors than just CMY, but that is probably due to technical reasons, how paints mix and stuff.

EDIT: sorry for double post, I intended to edit my previous post and add to it.

Edited by Pentium100

14 minutes ago, Splashee said:

And Earth is flat. :ButtercupLaugh:

Actually, they’re right, but didn’t quite explain it. Like @Pentium100 said. The three photo pigments in the human eye are red, green, and blue.

Here’s a quote from this article here: https://www.aao.org/eye-health/tips-prevention/how-humans-see-in-color

“Cones contain photo pigments, or color-detecting molecules. Humans typically have three types of photo pigments—red, green and blue. Each type of cone is sensitive to different wavelengths of visible light.

In the daytime, a lemon’s reflected light activates both red and green cones. The cones then send a signal along the optic nerve to the visual cortex of the brain. The brain processes the number of cones that were activated and the strength of their signal. After the nerve impulses are processed, you see a color— in this case, yellow”

7 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

Red, green and blue are the primary colors, maybe that's why.

Green is secondary (from an optic viewpoint).

Is far more complex than what our cones see or how we think we see yellow when we mix red and green.

Chemically speaking, mixing yellow pigments with blue pigments will produce green pigments. That happens because we're changing what wavelenghts do the substance absorbs. You see, what we really see is the light that rebounds from an object. Mix green and red in real life and you'll be getting something brownish due the excess of absortion.

Edited by Jesse Terrence
  • Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Jesse Terrence said:

Mix green and red in real life and you'll be getting something brownish due the excess of absortion.

That's for paint. Mix red and green light and you'll get yellow.

2 hours ago, Pentium100 said:

That's for paint. Mix red and green light and you'll get yellow.

Except, once again, you're wrong due your perspective rather than for your statement.

You see, there's a bunch of color models out there, and you're stating what you know from the RGB aditive color synthesis. Which means, yeah, for that model they are the primary colors, but that's relative and there's a lot of mathematics to be performed, and it also has a little huge problem you have to face which has to do with light intensity and all sort of noise (hopefully I don't have to point out the obvious regarding what noise is). The aditive synthesis requires of controlled beams of light of different intensities to give away the range of colors. It's helpful for informatics and tv due its straightforward mathematical behaviour and is super easy to perform with a computer (which quantifies it in a way that anyone can add it up without hazle), but doesn't work for pigmentation and all sort of tangible matter. It also requires of non-filtered surfaces to work right.

Now, I could argue that the actual primary colors are cyan, yellow and magenta, which are the ones that reign on the substractive synthesis model, but then again, it has to do more with a given type of media rather than practicity and how much it works on common activities. You see, for us chemical engineers the cmyk model is a constant thing since we use it often when working with inks and designing papers for printing, but it comes with its limitations such as requiring of bright surfaces to counter the fact that, as you add up inks to change colors, this makes the coloration darker. Is also weird to perceive a shade of red and a mix of blue and green as 2 of the 3 primary colours, but on the practical part it works on real life just as much as the additive system, if not more.

The traditional sorting which works nicely all around is the yellow blue red one, which adds up white and black to help around with gradiency and opens up a whole lot of options. Is far easier to manage than the cmyk system given most of the "darkening" on colors happen after adding up colors from the boundary parts of the visible range of electromagnetic waves. On this system, white and black are more extremes of brightness (which physically can be understood as the incapacity of a substance at absorbing photons from a given wave length) than actual colors, and you can mix any of the three primary colors and just adjust the brightness to get any real color.

Having said that, and since there's a whole explanation on how this works on intensive properties of matter (which you could know if you studied optical methods for chemical analysis), the most obvious answer would be to take the traditional system for the color sorting. I mean, even the cmyk substractive model follows the behaviour with the exception the traditional model can control the brightness by adding pigments that help the mix repel photons of the visible range and you can add black to help absorb more photons, while the other 2 systems require of the extremes (absence of substance or absence of photons) to move around shades of a given color.

• Brohoof 1

Turns out we were all wrong. Newton says we can use a prism to break white light up into its constituent spectral colors! Ooooo! :wau:

Light_dispersion_conceptual_waves.gif

Spoiler

Newton was also a prick, and so is my reply ;)

Now, when we have all those colors separated, shouldn't we be able to combine them again to make white light? Or can we just take the red, green and blue and create a purer white light? But what about that pretty violet color? It must be used for something? :ooh::catface::sunny:

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Splashee said:

Now, when we have all those colors separated, shouldn't we be able to combine them again to make white light?

Yes, put another prism (upside down) and they will combine.

5 hours ago, Splashee said:

Or can we just take the red, green and blue and create a purer white light?

This is due to how human eyes work. We do not see all colors individually, our eyes are RGB based. Yellow color triggers the reg and green receptors, and we recognize that as yellow. So, instead of having a single wavelength that triggers both, we can have two wavelengths - one for the red receptor and one for the green. We would see the same. However, let's say some animal had four receptors - red, green, yellow and blue. That animal would see a difference between pure yellow and red+green.

• Brohoof 1