Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My little pony: Friendship is magic The game?

equardos?

(edited)

Hi everyone!

I'm sorry if i post this in the wrong place, but i have something to ask.

Today I felt like starting a new game project, but nothing big. After starting with the basic coding I started to think about ideas. First thing that came into my mind was: My little pony. The only problem is that's all I got. I came here for ideas you might have, but don't have time or skill to make yourself.

To put a long story short: I need ideas for my little pony game. Do you guys have any?

Edited by equardos?
  • Brohoof 1

Oooohhh.. So many possibilities.... I guess an important detail that will need factoring in is your abilities here.. Tell us, are you like really good at this? Or should it be an idea for a relatively simple game?

Maybe one of those games that are like a 'Choose your own adventure' book.

You could be trying to help fix friendships in Ponyville, and only certain paths take you to the end?

I'm not the best at explanations, I hope you understand.

:blush:

• Brohoof 2

I think one where you travel around Ponyville and complete 'missions' for the ponies would be a sort of game a lot of brony's would enjoy! I can help with it if you like, I enjoy this sort of thing :)

• Brohoof 1

Oooohhh.. So many possibilities.... I guess an important detail that will need factoring in is your abilities here.. Tell us, are you like really good at this? Or should it be an idea for a relatively simple game?

Well nothing with 3D models, because that would be too time consuming and it would kind of look stupid :S

You could be trying to help fix friendships in Ponyville, and only certain paths take you to the end?

Yep i know that feel. I suck at explaining things too as you might see from my starting post. So do you mean like sim friendship game? That would be now for me :)

I think one where you travel around Ponyville and complete 'missions' for the ponies would be a sort of game a lot of brony's would enjoy! I can help with it if you like, I enjoy this sort of thing :)

That was the first thing in my mind too, but the problem is that it requires quite alot of story and that is not my speciality :S

With some help it is possible tough.

Yep i know that feel. I suck at explaining things too as you might see from my starting post. So do you mean like sim friendship game? That would be now for me :)

Yes a sim friendship game! Ahaha You understood. :lol:

(edited)

Ewww, I wasn't thinking 3D at all.. I envisioned it kind of pixelated actually.. What about something with mini-games?

Well depends. If you mean that the whole game should be only minigames then no, because that is something someone does with flash and postes it on newgrounds. If the minigames would be part of the game, but not everything. Part of something like SIM-Friendship game sounds good as MadhouseMischief suggested:

Yes a sim friendship game! Ahaha You understood. :lol:

Has it been done before? I can't find anything like that with fast googling.

Edited by equardos?

Well depends. If you mean that the whole game should be only minigames then no, because that is something someone does with flash and postes it on newgrounds. If the minigames would be part of the game, but not everything. Part of something like SIM-Friendship game sounds good as MadhouseMischief suggested:

Has it been done before? I can't find anything like that with fast googling.

I haven't seen any pony ones. I just play other kinds of sims all the time and thought that would be a good Idea

I haven't seen any pony ones. I just play other kinds of sims all the time and thought that would be a good Idea

I have never ever been playing sim games (well except for the sims 1 and sim city) so this might be a problem. I will download couple games for test and comparison before i start coding. If i don't like that type of games i will not start coding something like that. It would be just boring and the end product would be just awful because of that.

(edited)

I say make it either a choose your own adventure game or a game like "Pokemon Mystery Dungeon".

Uuh i like that. Mystery dungeon = simple Roguelike.

Uuh Everfree forest as the starting / final dungeon. Caves of the diamond dogs! Oh the ideas! THIS IS PERFECT!

MY MIND! IT'S SUDDENLY FULL OF IDES! THANK YOU! YOU ARE NUMBER ONE!

Edited by equardos?

(edited)

I'd love a pony RPG, possibly involving Nightmare moon, Discord, Chyralis or some random villain.

Roquelike is kind of like RPG. You level up, you do missions and grind dungeons and collect items. I have somekind of backstory in my mind right now. Something to do with the elements of harmony being stolen and Discord (or as you said: some random villain).

The problem is that i suck at story writing, so i think i will just start coding the game and ask help from my friends or this topic on the story side :P

NEWS ON THE GAME! Did i yell? I'm sorry

First of all: The genre(s) has been chosen. The game will be roguelike, RPB, turnbased combat. (Thanks for the brain explosion Sly Cooper :P)

Second: Me and my friend brainstormed on skype today. The conclusion was: There will be 6 members who may join your team. Fluttershy, Twilight, Rarity, Rainbow, Applejack and Pinkiepie. You may choose only three of them, but the ones you won't choose to join your team will help you in other way: Stores! All of the ponies will have their own speciality and specialized store based on the pony itself (For example Pinkiepie will be fast and durable fighter and her store will provide healing and / or energy items.)

Well that's all. I will start coding the basics, but that doesn't mean i don't need any ideas. Help me build this! I think this is going to be epic!

Edited by equardos?
  • Brohoof 4

As long as it has Doctor Whooves somewhere in it (Disco Doctor WHooves would be awesome) This sounds like really awesome ^^

Hmm.. Nice idea. He could have something to do with the plot.

That reminded me..

We need a doctor!

I have problems with my computer. So that means i can still code, but i won't be able to compile the game for download or testing for quite some time.

Just tough i would post it here.

Oh and i can't draw.

Posted Image

Yeah that's the game logo for now. As i said: I can't draw. I'm just a programmer.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Hmm.. Nice idea. He could have something to do with the plot.

That reminded me..

We need a doctor!

I have problems with my computer. So that means i can still code, but i won't be able to compile the game for download or testing for quite some time.

Just tough i would post it here.

Oh and i can't draw.

Posted Image

Yeah that's the game logo for now. As i said: I can't draw. I'm just a programmer.

Keep that. The logo, that is. Edited by BananaStorm

(edited)

This topic is starting to die, so before it does, let me bring some good and bad news.

Good news first:

The game engine is building up just the way i wanted (well almost and that's the bad news). Simple things like lobby, dungeon, map loader and stuff like that are going well. The next part is the game itself (battle, stores, items and stats etc.).

Bad news:

For some reason the game doesn't load on some computers the first time it's installed. The problem is solved by first downloading the game and running. If that doesn't help then you have to update your java. If that doesn't work you have to re-download the game. After these steps the game works perfectly.

Is anypony familiar with this problem? Game is made with java + slick2D + LWJGL.

Oh and one more thing. Should i make the battles to be like the original pokemon games or should i make them like mystery dungeon battles?

Edited by equardos?

I wish I could help, but it's been so long since I've programmed anything. From my experience, though, I'd say it might be an issue with however the heck this thing was downloaded since re-downloading seems to fix the problem.

I wish I could help, but it's been so long since I've programmed anything. From my experience, though, I'd say it might be an issue with however the heck this thing was downloaded since re-downloading seems to fix the problem.

Yeah the re-download thing is pretty interesting. It always fixes the problem. No matter what. Also if you get the game to work once it will always work no matter what version i send to the player.

Hi! I got my new computer yesterday and my father just got remaried so i haven't have much time to code. I will finish building my step-brothers computer tomorrow and after that I shall get back to coding.

I think that's a great idea! And there would be lots of ways to play it, so it will be a long time before it gets boring.