Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Concerned about G5’s character design

Sepul-Coloratura

(edited)

I’m a bit concerned about G5’s character design.

1. Bland Colors
  2. Less dynamic color brightness
  3. Less recognizable silhouettes

These are characters from G4.

9410075B-CC56-4AED-8F92-2F9B82DE184B.thumb.png.70cdb387c33f563bc2413e543b09bbe1.png

Their colors are iconic and recognizable, they can even be distinguished only by color. But I don’t think we could expect this kind of abstract paintings from G5.

0F3121A3-7AB8-497B-A88E-DE275C0DAFD5.jpeg.3a772e57edee840138041b7df9462a01.jpeg

Their colors are distinguishable even in black and white. The brightness of the colors are all over the spectrum. Twilight, Rainbow Dash and pinkie’s hair are very recognizable, Fluttershy’s overall bright color is noticeable too. The color dynamics within the character varies from characters like Rarity with dark purple and white and Fluttershy with light yellow and light pink.
E35854F6-2BE7-4368-9B89-DEEFCD7472A4.thumb.png.7637f8d30d4884db57ffbe1a4ea16db6.png

Their shapes and silhouettes are also distinguishing because they have big heads and widely various hair styles.

2DD515A3-8D1F-464B-A814-F56DD2B3EC37.png.9a17d94b4f74f4a2c529e7e967634b5f.png

The G5 seems to have a different style and approach. I don’t want to say they are lesser because I haven’t seen the show and I don’t know yet how their character designs work within the context. They have different graphic and animation styles, they’re in a different show.

EF181EF1-B26B-48E4-AE79-D4FC8DC2980E.png.478f96ac96a1a23f9bb377e72b8d3ee9.png
60AB956E-FA1A-4652-B167-C21DDAC8FBBF.thumb.jpeg.1be38e93e332207aef273c64dbef6096.jpeg

What concerns me the most is the color palette. I know that they have a huge disadvantage against G4’s design because they have to avoid using the obvious colors from G4. They chose secondary colors instead of primary colors. I guess the character’s colors are an artistic choice, but it’s obviously less bright, less distinguished, less recognizable and also less colorful. They look like mushed pastel tones of peach, purple, violet and blue. The brightness of the colors are less dynamic as well.

A044205C-3F05-4C9B-8D15-B3D539B314BB.png.9ab9432f5f6f95c1ed75206b2918c1af.png2416B295-AEFB-4D63-9BF9-27C9BC4D5C1B.png.46b3b6453e21216c030f3749278eebe7.png

This might not be a fair comparison because we are all more familiar to G4’s design, but I can remember that many people like me recognized characters like “the purple one” or “ the rainbow one” even when we didn’t even watch the show. We even recognized them as human versions because the hair styles were very unique. 
The silhouettes are little confusing, especially the middle one and the next left one. You can say that one is a unicorn and two are pegasus ponies, but G4 didn’t needed races to help recognizing their shapes. The hairstyles are more casual too.
It’s obvious that they are aiming for a less colorful way, and I’m just a bit concerned about G5.

G4’s Season 8’s opening was edited and directed terribly, and the show ended up being my worst season. I don’t want G5’s character designs to be a bad omen to G5. I can see some people think that ponies from G4 all look the same. I hate to say, but in G5 they kinda looks the same, at least more than G4.

Long story short:

G4:12E58335-A6E7-4DEB-B882-C702B95C845C.thumb.jpeg.c20a64098b3de843f1199a0e6d4b1315.jpeg

G5:E0513930-E36C-4433-9AA1-1997BCCF14F9.thumb.jpeg.c1697c1f5e28b5a292ea8e4f7e4e61c0.jpeg

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 5

Yeah, I can see what you are saying when it comes to less distinguishable character designs.

Some of my concerns are with the overall body shape and expressions of the ponies. They don't quite capture that same great pony look that G4 had done so well at. Plus, and this might just be me, the details such as wing and horn design also look strange to me. Then, like you mentioned, the manes and tails just aren't as distinguishable and unique as those in G4.

Now, I do think Pipp and Izzy look pretty good. Not as good as the G4 main cast members of course, but still pretty decent. Plus, maybe they'll prove to look better in the actual movie. But until then, I'll remain a bit skeptical when it comes to design.

• Brohoof 2

Sunny and Izzy were actually designed by a fan artist named Imalou, which if you look at derpibooru all of this artist's drawings have a very similar style.

As for colors, I'm not really bothered if they're less vibrant.

The only thing that actually bothers me a teensy bit is that every so often, one the renders of them have slightly odd facial expressions a tad bit uncanny valley-ish.

2558746.jpg

large.jpg

2621006.jpg

To be honest, from what they've shown so far I find it appealing more often when they're in motion rather than just screenshots. This isn't detracting from enjoying what we know of G5 though.

large.jpg

However, I adore Hitch's "Dafuq?" expression here.

• Brohoof 3

I understand on what you are coming from, but the character design in G5 are the least of my problems since 1. I'm not a big fan of CGI in general, unless it's Pixar. 2. I don't care for the G5 designs, either, but they are not horrible, and 3. I can draw the G5 characters in G4 style anyway, so it's not a big deal to me.

My only concern for G5 was the characters are not gonna be as good as G4. I'm still hoping to proven wrong.

• Brohoof 3

G5 is geared towards a more mature audience as we all know, which means that vivid colors are not necessary. Think about it, Star Wars is famous and loved yet some of the the protagonists in it wear brown-colored garments. You don't need bright and vivid colors for characters to be recognizable and loveable.

• Brohoof 6

I’m not understanding this concern.

This movie is supposed to look more realistic, the characters resembling equines more so than their G4 counterparts. We can see their fur in detail, hooves that actually shine in light, inner color of their ears, etc. Making them bright/crazy colors wouldn’t mix well with the realism they are going for. Like @EpicEnergymentioned, this choice may also because more unique colors are just not needed anymore.

If the colors of the characters are going to have an influence on an overall opinion on this movie or G5 in general, I gotta say that’s pretty absurd.

• Brohoof 8

The thing with computer animation is that it's supposed to make things look more "real". Even Pixar animation goes more for designing characters with realistic textures rather than bright, flashy colors. One of my concerns about G5 is not character designs, they're as good as they get for a children's show with computer animation today. Don't believe me, watch what they're showing on Nickelodeon now. I dare you. :maud:

• Brohoof 1

I have to applaud you. That is an exceptional analysis that I never really thought of before and it only makes me love the Mane Six somehow even more than I already do. :wub: Love that abstract art! :darling:

The G5 designs have been a worry of mine right from the start and the more I see them, the uglier and less appealing they become every time. :yuck: I know they're going for a more mature route but that doesn't mean you go and make them all barely distinguishable from each other. :mlp_wat: One thing is certain, people are not going to remember these designs with washed-out colours, bland and tiny eyes, creepy grins and smugs. :unamused: They will always remember G4's gorgeous looks, eye-catching colours, expressive eyes and instant screen presence. :pinkie:

(edited)

You G5 guys. I like you.

But that thing I said earlier about uncanny valley faces? Well even with that, sometimes those border a little more on nightmare faces... I wanted to ignore it cause I'm going to enjoy the G5 movie, but when more images come out...

aaa.png

AAAAAA

Edited by Toastypk

hairstyle the males all seen to have the same hair style and the females their hair looks bland. And izzy Horn looks like a weird party hat. And the feather wings look weird from the rest of pipp body. And for some strange reason it's giving off filly funtasia vibes. Especially with the accessories they are obsessed to. Have on. 

Have to admit the colours look bland and a Total YAWN. At least G4 the colours were Great and their hairstyles were unique plus their horn and wings matched the rest of their body. 

Hope the story is going to be worth it and for the love of Cheese don't be woke and full of political crap w3 got way too much of that junk to deal with in real life.

• Brohoof 2

I like the colours tho yea for sure they were avoiding the same sorts of colours as b4.

Tbh tho if anything the colours felt a little too bright for g4 in someways if u look at it one way and too much like a blob of random colour, these colours feel more natural idk. 

I like this muted pallette and for the most part it works tho I feel Sunny and Hitch are very similar but also intentional. They feel more like real ponies like the kinds of colours from before feel too bright for that kind of vibe.

(edited)

I don't like most of their faces looking stocky/samey for the promotional art(Zipp is the only one looking normal).

However, just like what happened with EQG and Pony Life, it looks a lot better in motion

Edited by Megas
  • Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-06-17 at 5:45 PM, The Wife of Hawks said:

I’m not understanding this concern.

This movie is supposed to look more realistic, the characters resembling equines more so than their G4 counterparts. We can see their fur in detail, hooves that actually shine in light, inner color of their ears, etc. Making them bright/crazy colors wouldn’t mix well with the realism they are going for. Like @EpicEnergy mentioned, this choice may also because more unique colors are just not needed anymore.

If the colors of the characters are going to have an influence on an overall opinion on this movie or G5 in general, I gotta say that’s pretty absurd.

Exactly.

• 5 weeks later...