Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Super Mario (2023)

Steve Piranha

I split this into its own topic mostly because the other topic was created to talk about the 90’s film, and … this actually looks great. It’s on my must see movies list for next year. 

• Brohoof 1

Me wonder, is this because Sonic Move success?

I really liked the real sound effects of Kamek/Magikoopa magic. The trailer was really engaging! :o

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have noticed that both this Mario movie and the Sonic movies (the new 3D ones) try to make 3D characters lovable by just making their eyes more realistic. Those realistic eyes are not present in the games (the 3D games), nor are they used in the MLP G5 A New Generation which was 3D as well but didn't derive from a game.

• Brohoof 1

On 2022-10-07 at 5:07 PM, Kn0xDaF0x said:

it looks fantastic! except, the idea of chris pratt voicing mario is a bit offputting. jack black as bowser seems fucking epic though!!!

What people have to consider is Charles Martinet has only ever done the VA in these games for a few "ya" "wah" & "yahoos" he's got a few very limited one liners he does in this voice, it may be beyond the realm of expectation to think that he could verbalize the entire script they had planned for Mario in his "Mario voice for a full 90-110 minutes, I'm sure his adaptation will grown on us as the movie pans out.. it can't be any worse than Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu that was dreadful

• Brohoof 1

2 hours ago, Spook Conundrum said:

What people have to consider is Charles Martinet has only ever done the VA in these games for a few "ya" "wah" & "yahoos" he's got a few very limited one liners he does in this voice, it may be beyond the realm of expectation to think that he could verbalize the entire script they had planned for Mario in his "Mario voice for a full 90-110 minutes, I'm sure his adaptation will grown on us as the movie pans out.. it can't be any worse than Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu that was dreadful

Charles Martinet is a professional VA, he’s lent his voice for plenty of big franchises like Star Wars, TES, and most recently the newest Dragon Ball movie. There’s really no reason to not expect him to adjust Mario’s voice to suit a movie 

• Brohoof 2

1 minute ago, Megas said:

Charles Martinet is a professional VA, he’s lent his voice for plenty of big franchises like Star Wars, TES, and most recently the newest Dragon Ball movie. There’s really no reason to not expect him to adjust Mario’s voice to suit a movie 

I would concur, but I would honestly have to see the Mario movie first and witness the range, emotion, and dialogue expected of Pratt in this movie to have any guess as to whether or not Charles would be able to deliver these expectations consistently throughout a 100 minute film, plus they would need to get relative VA for other Mario characters in the film and expect them to do the same thing, none of the films you mentioned are the voice of Mario, I'm not calling him unprofessional, obviously he does the VA of one of the most iconic videogame characters if not THE most iconic video game characters in the world, pretty sure he's done Wario and other Mario characters before to, but bouncing Charles Martinet off Charlie Day and company, it's like I said they'd need a recast, and expect all of the VA to keep their pitch consistent when delivering a wide array of different emotions, possibly even sentiments such as sarcasm, different pitches, what we've mostly heard in Charles Mario voice are excitement and sadness/fatigue there are lots of things to account for, and it may have just been more difficult to expect that VA to deliver the kind of performance in consistency that they are looking for... Like I said I have to watch the film and then imagine what's being said in the same emotional/situational context in Charles Mario voice before I can conclude whether or not I think it was the right decision

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Spook Conundrum said:

it can't be any worse than Ryan Reynolds as Pikachu that was dreadful

i thought it was cute! :please: but every pokémon in that movie was HORRIFYING! realistic pokémon is something that should only exist in nightmares.. 

Edited by Kn0xDaF0x
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

My friend's movie that is being filmed for Netflix is starring Chris Pratt, and I was like, "you talked to Mario??" :derp: (technically, Chris Pratt talked to my friend on-set, so I should have said "Mario talked to you??"

I am looking forward for this Mario Movie!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I will say one thing. Marios voice is terrible in the movie "English voice to be exact" it sounds nothing like the fun one from N64 and so forth. Even the french and italian dubs has better voice for Mario in the movie than the english one.

In the comments they try to argue that he is supposed to sound like Mario is from Brooklyn. But Super Mario Bros Super Show does a way better voice than this one while being faithful to the character. So yeah the voice is just bad to me.

Edited by SIgmaBETA
  • Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...