Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My reaction

post-4621-0-50625500-1340144992.jpg

But seriously, though, You made an Excellent point. I've always pondered that in my mind. That is why i always encourage ponies to see the other side of conflict

Near the end, though, I think it got a bit more complicated and personal...

(edited)

When you take universal concepts, and compare them to human concepts you will find contradictions. Good and evil, right and wrong are human concepts of duality. Whereas once we remove this concept of opposing forces we are left with only our concepts of the universe in a holistic sense. Because in one we have divisions, and in the other we have unifying principles. Consider for a moment words are merely symbolic expressions of our understanding of personal concepts. So a person who says that demons are evil. Is associating their own concepts of these words in a way to express their own conceptualizations of a given subject. In terms of the logic that they use to draw these conclusions. While I am sure that most would agree that without knowing both sides of any story in their totality. A proper conclusion cannot be drawn. However when one debates what is "truth" and what isn't. We get into a plethora of conflicting principles, and begin to gravitate dangerously close to absolutism. We cannot in good conscience discuss things in such a black and white manner, because what is truth if it's not in someway correct or right?

This reminds of me a statement I read a long time. It went something like this: " 500 years ago it was a fact that the world was flat. However in modern times we now know that it is fact that the world is round. The only things that will change are the facts. The truth that remains the same."

If we are to believe that the truth of any given subject are things that represent reality, and not opinion. Then we can draw a conclusion that the truth is something that can be substantiated by objective means. This is the establishment of a frame of reference, and as such it can be debated. Everything can be debated if you think on it enough. Though there is one thing I have seen. The personal truth. The truth that has to do with one's own personal experiences. This differs from opinion in that it has to do with real concrete experiences, and is influenced largely by ones capacity to remember details and their ability to ascertain the emotional context. What does this have to do with truth? It has everything to do with perception. Which is the crux of the original post. My point is that truth as long as it is something we perceive can always be debated. This is the truth as I see it. Does it mean that it is false because it might contradict the truth as other people see it? What frame of reference shall we use to determine this? What is the "right" frame of reference in anything? So you see we have come to a point in which the concept that the truth is an absolute. A golden frame of reference if you will, and I don't think anyone really knows what this is. I know I don't, and all I can really offer anyone is the truth as I see it. I will end this conversation with another quote I read a very long time ago.

"Of course there are absolutes in this world. The very statement "There are no such thing as absolutes" is self defeating. For if that statement was not in itself an absolute. It could be wrong."

Some food for thought of course. This is my intention behind my post. To offer the truth as I see it with the hopes that it might be enhanced with the experiences of others.

Edited by Waifles
  • Brohoof 1

The entirety of the OP's argument is based on the mathematically unsupportable position of moral relativism. It is based upon the concept that right and wrong are based entirely on the perception of any given person. However, relativism does not take into account the fact that you cannot have a collective based on the majority of differing opinions, because it not only exhibits argumentum ad populum, but it also tries to draw conclusions based on incomplete data, exhibiting the Ludic fallacy.

The OP also relies on the concept that the context matters, when it does not. Regardless of context, moral relativism is the concept of forming a collective absolute without taking into account that it is all being formed from a fallible perspective. The binding standards of good and evil could not have been the result of human beings, because humans are a race that has existed in a finite timeframe, meaning humans are a creation of something. So under relativism, if we define right and wrong, and we did not always exist, how could things before our existence be bound to right or wrong?

lol bad mod removed all my replies to those who actually had a point.

Sucks to be me.

But in short;

You were so wrong because you were wrong about the pretence.

And you were wrong, but not that wrong.

I suppose that's what you get for trusting an idiot to do the job for you. HEY-O.

Why is there a thread about concept of relativity? All there is to this argument, the're concepts that have meaning with one another, it's a comparison unique to the individual. There, thread summed up.

Why is there a thread about concept of relativity? All there is to this argument, the're concepts that have meaning with one another, it's a comparison unique to the individual. There, thread summed up.

Dude.

I made a thread.

Discuss, don't go summing up until EVERYTHING about it is discussed.

I can make fifty additional points and that's not even the start.

You wanna go find something definitive, study a rock for fifty years and you may come close.

Also, OP IS a summary in on itself. What did you expect from it?