Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rule that should be added to blank flanks

Nah

(edited)

Non staff don't have the privilege to see banned member's profiles.

And your restrictions on topic creation do seem fair to me.

As it will give then a chance to see what already exists on the forums and therefore should make them less likely to post spam/redundant threads.

Edited by Tom

A balance between control and freedom must be reached, it seems.

I think auto-deleting lowranked accounts sounds good to an extent. What if they come back? I think if you guys tried implementing something like this, you'd need to experiment for a while to find the right time length, etc.

If this rule is to be implemented, Omnipony needs to make a bold text bullet note on his little welcome page announcement that all newbies see, clearly explaining this rule, and at what point they can make new topics in any forum.

But as we all know, either way, the suggestions forum will be burdened with 'I CAN'T MAKE LE TOPICS, HALP' anyway =p

To the suggestion of deleting inactive accounts, server resources are a non-issue. If I have enough resources at my disposal to allow unlimited file uploads up to 100 MB each, I'm sure that a few inactive accounts won't be a problem. ;) As Senn555 said earlier, an account consists of barely several kilobytes of data.

I like the idea of restricting Blank Flanks from creating new topics outside of Welcoming Plaza until they reach Muffin status. Honestly, there's plenty to discuss. To help prevent the confusion that comes out of Blank Flanks posting in CDC and wondering why their post count isn't increasing, that section could be locked off to them until they reach 5 posts. It would somehow need to be communicated to them very clearly, however, that they will not be able to start new topics for a few posts. I suppose I could add that in giant print at the top of the ToS notice that you are forced to sit through for 30 seconds.

Another trend I've seen is, every now and then a new member will join who spams random Canterlot Castle threads to raise their post count. It's great when people pay attention to site announcements (another issue in itself), but a new member mourning the demotion of a moderator that happened weeks ago is just wrong, and a post like "i never knew him" is even worse. Perhaps it may be wise to restrict Blank Flanks from posting there as well - I mean, what's the point of commenting on site updates if you're barely familiar with the community?

• Brohoof 8

even though i am a blank flank I think this is fair

Nice to hear feedback from a blank flank, thanks for agreeing with me.

This is a very good idea in my opinion but no matter how obvious you may make these rules there are still people that are bound to miss it or forget about it, it's inevitable and I don't think anything can really be done about it. I don't mean this in a bad sense but some people are just less observant and more forgetful then others, it's just a part of who we are. I know my memory can be pretty bad at times.

• 3 weeks later...

I for one agree even as a blank flank. If this rule is enforced, I won't mind if my topics are deleted. So long I don't get warning points if that rule is posted, this brony won't flinch. I know what a blank flank is but I don't get it on this forum.

Having recently ascended from that rank, I agree that until one understands how this site works (and I am still learning), they really shouldn't be allowed to start a new thread while they are in the Blank Flank phase. I would even go so far as extending the required amount of posts to 10 before they reach Muffin. The only thing it seems most of them care about is their avatar.

So, maybe your avatar is available at 5 posts and thread creation / Muffin status begins at 10 posts?

I for one agree even as a blank flank. If this rule is enforced, I won't mind if my topics are deleted. So long I don't get warning points if that rule is posted, this brony won't flinch. I know what a blank flank is but I don't get it on this forum.

It's for people who are new on these forums. When you're new, I think the mods and stuff basically want to see if you're a spammer or not. That, or it's just some hazing from our evil overlord Feld0, meant to strike fear into the souls of the weak.

Either or.

• Brohoof 1

I agree, it gets kinda annoying when every new pony makes a "Who's your favorite pony" thread when there already is 9001 of them.

• Brohoof 5

I agree with increasing post requirement for creating topics. It's a bit annoying looking up in the Recent Threads section of the sidebar and seeing 3-5 topics made by the same blank flank in rapid fire succession to get their post count up. It's a rarity (intended) when a blank flank creates an unique and insightful topic immediately. Most of the time, as others have stated, it's a topic that has been repeated ad nauseum (favorite pony, favorite episode, basically anything that asks what our favorites are).

How can they properly introduce themselves then, how about a minimum of one post in welcoming plaza, feedback is for problems (as we all know), and they should understand that, hopefully.

I think after a Blank Flank is officially created, it should be mandatory to be redirected to a "Introduce Yourself!" topic creation. Along with that a message would be directly sent to said Blank Flank and have it stated about the search bar for currently created topics, such as "who is best pony?" . Why these don't have their own forum fields called "common questions" is beyond me. In fact, while everyone's at it, create THAT right there! A common question field to put regularly asked questions would be helpful, don't ya' think?

(edited)

I think after a Blank Flank is officially created, it should be mandatory to be redirected to a "Introduce Yourself!" topic creation.

You know, that reminds me. I've seen at another forum I recently joined that until one makes a thread in the Welcoming section to introduce themselves, they aren't allowed to post anywhere at all. It might seem a little restrictive, but if the Blank Flanks really do get that bad, it would be something to consider. Once they made their welcoming post, and they could then proceed to create their five posts to get out of the Blank Flanks group. It would be easier for us mods to determine who's a spammer and whatnot. And it'd make their learning curve significantly easier as they got used to the forums. Their welcoming topic could be their "training" topic.

Of course, that'd require a lot of explicit explaining, otherwise we'd have people leaving out of confusion. We'd probably have to have it up in bold and neon up somewhere. Because of how often the rules are skipped over. I just thought I'd bring it up anyway.

Why these don't have their own forum fields called "common questions" is beyond me. In fact, while everyone's at it, create THAT right there! A common question field to put regularly asked questions would be helpful, don't ya' think?

We're working on something like that, I believe. :P Edited by Sorceress Arylett
  • Brohoof 5