Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Boat Loads of Moderators

Zoop

My two cents:

I think it's a good thing to have more helping hands, since it's for the better of the forum. I can understand why some may feel intimidation, but remember this: At the end of the day, they're still members like anyone else, and still human. If you end up having an issue with anyone on staff, you can always approach them about it via PM kindly but honestly.

• Brohoof 1

So, lots new mods, eh?

For the normal peeps, please remember that we can easily take a snapshot whenever one of them new mods screwed big time, and send it to Feld0. Being the new staff they are, it's still easy to kill them off Posted Image

They are still a human.

I'm more interested in the green guys, lol :P. The word "Super" makes them look more tough than the purple counterparts.

Also, I'm not sure if I like this too much. One of mah posts in "MLP taken down to 4th most popular meme" was deleted and I don't know why. I mean, I think it said "The amount of fucks given is like -1 :P", but I can't entirely remember. If so, does that mean we have to censor the f-bomb now, because I liked it better when I was able to say it freely (Of course in moderation :)).

Remember that this forum is growing at a very fast rate, and we're not even close to season 3 yet. 10 new moderators might seem like a lot now, but just imagine that number in a few months, and compare it to the number of users that'll be here. Also remember that the mods and admins can't dedicate their entire life to this website. And don't forget to consider timezones too.

18 moderators is way too many.

I understand the prior set of mods couldn't cover everything but it seems like too big a jump for a forum that is not currently in need for so many.

I'm also shocked (well not really, it's happened before) at some of the people who were selected mods. Some of which, in my opinion, shouldn't be mods.

• Brohoof 10

I'm also shocked (well not really, it's happened before) at some of the people who were selected mods. Some of which, in my opinion, shouldn't be mods.

Sadly, I have to agree.
  • Brohoof 1

My issue exactly.

In every single forum I have been in (About 30 in 8 years) the second new mods are created, they think they have become the pokemon master, and that they must do everything in their power to destroy things against them.

I've had random posts on threads be deleted for reasons I guess for saying "shit", while Chiggens among other users said the exact same thing, but their posts are alive.

I just don't want to see the mod positions here turn into a quest of power for people.

I know that feel bro.

Two almost identical comments in a thread,

mine gets deleted and the other is left.

-.-'

• Brohoof 1

Although I agree with you on the most part, this line not so much. You could've easy maybe not noticed there potential...Or you're are right and it was a bad idea. But its only the first day. Lets not disapprove of certain members just yet.

I know that feel bro.

Two almost identical comments in a thread,

mine gets deleted and the other is left.

-.-'

I've brought that issue up to Zoop a LOT.

I feel singled out sometimes because of it.

• Brohoof 1

My issue exactly.

In every single forum I have been in (About 30 in 8 years) the second new mods are created, they think they have become the pokemon master, and that they must do everything in their power to destroy things against them.

I've had random posts on threads be deleted for reasons I guess for saying "shit", while Chiggens among other users said the exact same thing, but their posts are alive.

I just don't want to see the mod positions here turn into a quest of power for people.

I'm more interested in the green guys, lol :P. The word "Super" makes them look more tough than the purple counterparts.

Also, I'm not sure if I like this too much. One of mah posts in "MLP taken down to 4th most popular meme" was deleted and I don't know why. I mean, I think it said "The amount of fucks given is like -1 :P", but I can't entirely remember. If so, does that mean we have to censor the f-bomb now, because I liked it better when I was able to say it freely (Of course in moderation :)).

So mods,

swearing gets our posts deleted now?

~

I'm afraid some of the new mods are going a little for lack of a better phrase "mad with power".

Multiple posts that are a month + old are being deleted, even posts that don't deserve to be deleted.

*sigh* it's all very depressing.

~

This is something that happens with all new mods, I'm not going to lie about it. When I was first given my privileges I went around specifically looking for new things to test my new buttons on, but after the first night I didn't care so much any more. However, I did not delete anything that was not against the rules, just things that were not reported, and unseen by the previous moderators.

This is all that is happening now, they are testing out their new buttons, and deleting posts that are against the rules, most commonly this one:

Make quality posts. Posts - and threads - that lack content are not allowed and may be deleted without notice. Repeatedly creating posts and/or threads that are off-topic, spammy, or otherwise pointless will result in your posting capabilities becoming restricted.

If anything, I would encourage them to keep it up for a day or two, to clean out the mass of posts that we have not seen in the past. In fact, this is why they were appointed because we cannot oversee everything that is unreported. With these new mods a larger number of rule-breaking posts will be taken care of.

Just stick with it for a day or two and once they get done with the initial clean-up everything will be better ;)

• Brohoof 3

I've brought that issue up to Zoop a LOT.

I feel singled out sometimes because of it.

I thought I was the only one getting this.

I'm not exactly BFFs with the mods and see clear favouritism. ~

• Brohoof 1

I thought I was the only one getting this.

I'm not exactly BFFs with the mods and see clear favouritism. ~

Trust me, someone seems to ONLY reporting my posts on pages.

This is something that happens with all new mods, I'm not going to lie about it. When I was first given my privileges I went around specifically looking for new things to test my new buttons on, but after the first night I didn't care so much any more. However, I did not delete anything that was not against the rules, just things that were not reported, and unseen by the previous moderators.

This is all that is happening now, they are testing out their new buttons, and deleting posts that are against the rules, most commonly this one:

If anything, I would encourage them to keep it up for a day or two, to clean out the mass of posts that we have not seen in the past. In fact, this is why they were appointed because we cannot oversee everything that is unreported. With these new mods a larger number of rule-breaking posts will be taken care of.

Just stick with it for a day or two and once they get done with the initial clean-up everything will be better ;)

Might as well delete half the forum them :/ ~

• Brohoof 1

I know they are not different...but I do feel mod status has change some people.

Well, I can understand where you're coming from. But, really, I'm still the same person. I can assure you that being promoted to moderator status on this site has had absolutely no effect on my state of mind. I can assure you that I felt no sudden rush of power. :)

I would like to say one thing though, you should not think of moderators as mighty figures of authority looming over you and watching your every move. That may be why you feel so uncomfortable, and it really isn't the right way to think of any moderator on any site.

You should not fear moderators. The moderators exist to serve the community. The purpose of a moderator is to uphold the quality of the community. If moderators are making users uncomfortable and intimidating them, then they are not doing their proper job. From what I've seen, all of the moderators of this site are aware of this.

There may be some growing pains in the next few days as all of us newbie moderators figure out how to effectively do our jobs, but, I can assure you, there is no harm intended by any of us. As was said by Zoop earlier, if you believe that a deletion was not justified, then you can contact Zoop or Swoop and they will look into the situation.

Finally, I have one last thing to say. Many users seem to think of moderators as cops or federal agents. That's not the best way to think of us though. We are much more like a neighborhood watch. We are regular folks that just happen to be tasked with ensuring the safety of the community. We are your friends. :)

Rather than fearing or feeling threatened by moderators, you should understand that we are humans and your fellow members of the community. And please, try not to be judgmental. What some interpret as power tripping or abuse of authority may, in fact, just be an innocent mistake or misunderstanding.

In conclusion, I would like to say that moderators exist to serve the community. Our purpose is not to victimize and it is not to make anyone feel uncomfortable. Our purpose is to keep everyone here safe and try to preserve a pleasant environment.

I look forward to doing my part to keep MLP forums the best pony board on the Internet. :D

• Brohoof 12

My issue exactly.

We should get more mods to moderate the new mods!

Seriously though, I do find it a bit absurd. I have no doubt that Feld0 and the others had good reasons for selecting the new mods and I'm not going to make a judgement on that, as I am sure that they are all competent if they were chosen. However, I do believe that 18 mods is abusive for a relatively small forum like this one. I really do not think that it is needed and like it's been pointed out before, it will intimidate members who will feel more restricted in what they can say.

• Brohoof 3

Trust me, someone seems to ONLY reporting my posts on pages.

Hmm I can speculate to about 40% accuracy, but that's a shitstorm in itself. This thing would solve itself quicker if every action wasn't hidden.
  • Brohoof 1

Snip

Look, I would like to believe you, but I already notice one person awhile back change after a while of being a mod. I understand you guys are still people, but I just feel worried.

Also, there are more personal reasons why I don't like this.

• Brohoof 1

Still waiting for a mod to delete certain threads, unless people will think that talking about your fetish is okay

Why not? It's just a discussion like another.

Now if people were posting pictures and nsfw stuff or if the thread was encouraging people into engaging into sadomasochism, I could understand, but there's no harm in simply discussing a subject matter. I personally see no use in censoring or banning certain subjects.

If such a thread offends you, just don't go in it. No need to ruin it for the other people who actually want have a serious discussion and voice their opinion about it.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Rather than fearing or feeling threatened by moderators, you should understand that we are humans and your fellow members of the community. And please, try not to be judgmental. What some interpret as power tripping or abuse of authority may, in fact, just be an innocent mistake or misunderstanding.

While ultimately you are correct, I think it's just ingrained in everyone that when a certain person holds a power over you that could potentially restrict your opinion/voice, it's hard not to see them as an authority figure. That's the nature of the beast when it comes to being a moderator that even though you're in it to keep the peace and make sure everyone has a good time. Despite your best intentions, you're naturally going to be viewed as a power-wielder and thus an authority figure.

Edited by Doctor XFizzle
  • Brohoof 6

(edited)

They are still a human.

As a former Fanfiction.net fan-forum administrator, this reason is a mixed bag. When someone is a mod or admin, they have to show some professionalism in the way they handle it, especially here because the top staff expects them to handle circumstances in such a manner. They can make a mistake and admit to it, but they can't do it repeatedly. I left the Sonic Stadium Message Board because the attitude from most of the moderation staff deteriorated so badly following a March 2009 server wipeout that whenever something sets them off, they'll act like volatile, vulgar, unprofessional jackasses when setting members straight. Posts like this one comes to mind (Warning: VERY foul language there from a thread containing a NSFW topic), and it isn't even the worst I've seen there. Using the reason "they're human" only applies for the occasional error. Repeating this nullifies this reason.

As for the new wave of mods here, I've got no problem here. The mods work in only specific forums, but they can keep a close eye on the content whenever stuff passes under the higher staff's noses. I've got no opinion on them right now, so I won't comment on their actions. But I've seen mods turn from comment-goers to just mods only to the point where they stopped getting involved in discussions in some parts of a forum, and I don't want that to happen here.

(Edited link.)

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 3

If such a thread offends you, just don't go in it. No need to ruin it for the other people who actually want have a serious discussion and voice their opinion about it.

Remember why Feld0 refuse to set up a 18++ subforum?

Yep, that's why

• Brohoof 1

Having all of these new moderators is like having rottweilers as a security system.

I'm glad they are there and I know they mean well, but I'm still afraid they will rip me to pieces, effectively ending my life bite me really hard.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

But I've seen mods turn from comment-goers to just mods only to the point where they stopped getting involved in discussions in some parts of a forum, and I don't want that to happen here.

To echo your point, I miss seeing Zoop and Swoop around here (unless I just don't go into the topics they're in). I miss reading their insights and opinions because I think they're swell fellas. :/

Edited by Doctor XFizzle
  • Brohoof 3