Humanization of Friendship is Magic (Before You Scream "NO!", Read...)

Jack Durango

A very interesting YouTube video I came across several weeks ago has caused some rather rusty gears in my head to start turning and churning out ideas (You may or may not have seen it, which is why I'm posting it):

I'm going to start off by saying, wow, that's pretty good for a fan work, even if it does look a little simple. The movements seemed to be in time, and I still get the same emotions from the characters as I did when they were ponies. Especially from the eyes; artists often say that the eyes are the most communicative part of the human body, and I don't doubt it one bit.

Now, if there's one thing I love (and I'm pretty sure anyone else on this site agrees), it's animation. My fascination with cartoons is probably one of the main reasons that I was able to watch Friendship is Magic with an open mind and experience its marvelousness. One thing I hope to do is become a concept writer/director for animated music videos. There's just so much you can express in animation than you can in real life! :D

Anyways, back on topic. Say you take an episode of Friendship is Magic...and make all of the ponies human, as shown in the video above. Same dialogue, same expressions, same jokes and puns, and same plots (not THOSE plots), but in human form. Not exactly in the style of the video above, either. Perhaps in more of an anime style, or a realistic Western animation style? (I have a specific type in my head- it's like a cross between anime and Western, sketchy, unique... I don't quite know how to describe it :huh: ) I'm sure you've all seen fanwork of the Mane 6 and other ponies in human form, and honestly, a lot of it's not half-bad. Example:

Posted Image

I, for one, would not object to seeing a fan-made spin-off series or recreation which features the Mane 6 and other ponies in their humanized forms, all with the same quirks and personalities. Whether the stories are just episodes redone or entirely new content, it wouldn't matter to me. Just nothing that would damage the reputation of the original series ;)

Obviously, you can't take the 'pony' out of "My Little Pony" (like, hello? Derp?). And i definitely want the original series to continue, in its perfect, equine form. But this fandom is full of surprises. So, who knows? Maybe a clip of humanized Equestrian hilarity would prove popular, if done correctly.

Thoughts? Agreeances? Disagreeances?

(P.S. Thanks if you read the whole post. I know, I talk too much. :blush: )

• Brohoof 10

I have no objections, nor any quarrels. It is not like they would be changing the ponies themselves, just the physical layer so the show would remain near on exactly the same minus the species of the characters.

If the animation were as good as that particular video then I'm sure it would be something that I would watch, just so I could compare animations between ponies and humans.

(edited)

I like the idea of ponies being humanized, but like Mordecai said, they need to be done correctly. Plus, I have my own preconceptions of what each of them would look like, and if they are depicted too differently from that, I can't get into it. But I'd certainly like to see more humanized work be doing to compare and contrast with.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 2

I like the ponies the way they are much more. I mean, if its fan made, ok! But I probably wouldnt watch it, and I wouldnt at all want it to be official!

I just dont think it could be the same at all. (rainbowdash wings?)

Also, I love animals, and they are so cute as ponies but if anyone wants to, go ahead.

I really like humanized ponies, I don't know why people have such a big deal with them :P. MLP ponies are just people in pony-form anyway. ~

People hate human ponies because they think it taints MLP's escape from reality.

• Brohoof 3

As long as there is nothing sexual implied, everything's cool

I couldn't agree more, after all, rule 34 is a reason we have the amount of haters we do today, plus, its sad that artists waste their time, and talent drawing crude things like that. ;_;

I couldn't agree more, after all, rule 34 is a reason we have the amount of haters we do today, plus, its sad that artists waste their time, and talent drawing crude things like that. ;_;

Posted Image

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I must say that I really like that fanmade video in the opening post. It has a nice Lauren Faust-esque drawing style which fits the show.

Nevertheless I am not that into humanized ponies like on the pic in the opening post. Sure they are well drawn but I don't see them as more than a good drawing of anime girls who should resemble the mane6.

I mean there are female anime versions of everything(I've seen some of the Avengers lately) and they are somehow losing their uniqueness(more on the picture than in the video because the video at least keeps the art style) which is why I probably wouldn't watch humanized pony episodes.

Edited by Wildcard
  • Brohoof 1

I love humanized ponies and anthro ponies if there done right. But the whole show just wouldn't feel right if they changed the visuals to where there all human. It's an interesting idea but I don't think it should go any further than fan art. Maybe they could put in the show where Twilight is experimentin with magic and she gets stuck in an alternate dimension and everyone is now human or they could set up a situation where one of the ponies draws up a thought bubble and in it they are human or something along those lines.

I must say that I really like that fanmade video in the opening post. It has a nice Lauren Faust-esque drawing style which fits the show.

Nevertheless I am not that into humanized ponies like on the pic in the opening post. Sure they are well drawn but I don't see them as more than a good drawing of anime girls who should resemble the mane6.

I mean there are female anime versions of everything(I've seen some of the Avengers lately) and they are somehow losing their uniqueness(more than in the video because the video at least keeps the art style) which is why I probably wouldn't watch humanized pony episodes.

I've seen some more art work of humanized ponies that is not anime, plus, experimenting with different art styles is a good idea, Like some good examples here:

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Brohoof 2

I've seen some more art work of humanized ponies that is not anime, plus, experimenting with different art styles is a good idea, Like some good examples here:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Better but none of these girls tops Pinkie Pie in the video. She isn't my favorite pony but as human in the video she looks adorable :)

Overall ponies look still better and strangely less "girly"

;)

Humanized ponies are AWESOME depending on how you draw them. It could be the most awesomest thing you have ever seen, or either a load a crap.

Yay, another human pony lover, its not just drawings though, cosplay could count also (unless its a fursuit, then it is a pretty good pony costume)

Good cosplay as human ponies:

Posted Image

Bad cosplay

Posted Image

• Brohoof 5

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hey, thanks alot. Now I'm in love with all of these humanized ponies on the top. And Rainbow Dash looks hilarious though. x3
  • Brohoof 2

Posted Image

There's a clear limit between humanized cosplay and trying to haunt someone

Don't even get me started on the awful Fluttershy cosplayer with her.

Everything depends on the artist. It's whether the pony gone human, or just a human with the same hair, same eye color and the same paint job. There are more to catch rather than just the head and the clothes

One of the best in my opinion>>

Posted Image

• Brohoof 2

I'm a huge fan of human ponies, because they are able to more "accurately" display pony's personalities and styles.

IF THEY'RE DONE RIGHT.

I can agree to that. Many are not that good with human ponies.

• Brohoof 1

A fanwork? I wouldn't really find it so interesting if it was just the same pony stories onto humans. I could just watch the actual show for that. But if there was new content, and it was changed to make more sense for them being human, (such as unicorns being a race of witches, pegasi being humans who use machines to control the weather and fly around with them, and earth ponies just being normal humans with a knack for farming and a tiny bit of super strength) then I'd definitely watch that. That could be quite interesting.

Personally, I don't mind humanization as long as it's pulled off well. I'd more prefer an animesque style than a typical Western cartoony style as I'm not quite found of those. As well, anime styles are a bit more easier to take seriously.

• Brohoof 2