Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Elements of Disharmony

Xievie

Well, the Kaelkinator got me thinking about this. He posted a picture of Deharmonized Elements of Harmony...

Well then, what if there were the opposite of Elements of Harmony? Say, maybe they appeared in an episode.

Well, I have a question for anypony who reads this. What would these Elements be called?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So we have:

Honesty

Kindness

Laughter

Generosity

Loyalty

Magic

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What would you say the opposite of these are?

(edited)

Dishonesty

Cruelty

Anger

Selfishness

Betrayal

Chaos

Are the best I could come up with. Laughter is hard to find an opposite to that fits the disharmony theme.

maybe despair or gloom or pain or sorrow Edited by Thatpony124
  • Brohoof 1

I once made an entire graph explaining the elements of disharmony. I would call them the elements of chaos, because chaos sounds cooler. Now I finally get to use that chart! I also guess the elements of chaos would be most prevalent when discord corrupts the mane six.untitled.bmp

I would say-

Twiluight sparkle: Science]

Pinkie pie: Angst

Fluttershy: Cruelty

rarity: avarice (If you dont know waht avarice means you should read a damn book.)

rainbow Dash: betrayal

applejack: Lies

for those with slow computers

this becomes easier when you have an extended vocabulary

untitled.bmp

(edited)

Gonna try to find more unique/descriptive terms but mintfreshAD and Fanayvea pretty much have them nailed

Twilight: Magic -> Logic

Rainbow Dash: Loyalty -> Treason

Pinkie Pie: Laughter -> Weeping

Fluttershy: Kindness -> Cruelty

Rarity: Generosity -> Avarice

Applejack: Honesty -> Deceit

Edited by Doctor XFizzle
  • Brohoof 4

I would say-

Twiluight sparkle: Science]

Pinkie pie: Angst

Fluttershy: Cruelty

rarity: avarice (If you dont know waht avarice means you should read a damn book.)

rainbow Dash: betrayal

applejack: Lies

The only thing about those is that angst and science don't seem particularly disharmonious or chaotic. Magic in the series seems to be based on rules and structure, judging by all Twilight's study. That's why I went with chaos, perhaps anarchy would work too. As for Pinkie, well, she's all about making people smile and laugh and feel good. So the opposite might be something like mockery or schadenfreude.

So, Magic when reversed is Science? And Logic? Those two are complete opposites to chaos, so if these are elements of chaos.....

I can see how logic and science equal Disharmony though......

Gonna try to find more unique/descriptive terms but mintfreshAD and Fanayvea pretty much have them nailed

Twilight: Magic -> Logic

Rainbow Dash: Loyalty -> Treason

Pinkie Pie: Laughter -> Weeping

Fluttershy: Kindness -> Cruelty

Rarity: Generosity -> Avarice

Applejack: Honesty -> Deceit

Maybe Sorrow instead of Weeping? The Element of Sorrow flows a bit better I think. Still not convinced that science or logic are opposites of magic in the MLP world, since their magic seems to be a sort of science in itself. It also doesn't sound all that negative compared to the other ones ^^;

The only thing about those is that angst and science don't seem particularly disharmonious or chaotic. Magic in the series seems to be based on rules and structure, judging by all Twilight's study. That's why I went with chaos, perhaps anarchy would work too. As for Pinkie, well, she's all about making people smile and laugh and feel good. So the opposite might be something like mockery or schadenfreude.

Youre right. I would say that magic is the hardest to find an opposite for. But, also, youre right. sorrow dosent seem like the opposite of laughter. Just becuase yoy laugh dosent mean your happy, many crazy people laugh, and many people laugh to hide their feelings. When people are in angst, they to tend to not laugh at all theyre mostly not at peace with themselves. if you arent at peace with yourself, that certainly points to some disharmony, yes?

(edited)

Rainbow: Arrogance

Fluttershy: fear

Pinkie: spontinaeity

Twilight: paranoia (think lesson zero)

Rarity: vanity

AJ:.....uuuuuummmmm...... I got nothin'.

These are all, of course, based on the character's actual imperfections instead of their discorded qualities.

*also I didn't make this up...it was on the cheezburger site.....

Edited by sirseansy

Rainbow: Arrogance

Fluttershy: fear

Pinkie: spontinaeity

Twilight: paranoia (think lesson zero)

Rarity: vanity

AJ:.....uuuuuummmmm...... I got nothin'.

These are all, of course, based on the character's actual imperfections instead of their discorded qualities.

*also I didn't make this up...it was on the cheezburger site.....

On that criteria, I'd say Applejack's is probably pride.

• 8 months later...

Hatred (Dark half of Fluttershy and Element of Cruelty, leader of the Elements of Disharmony)

Sorrow (Element of Despair and dark half of Pinkie Pie)

Avarice (dark half of Rarity and Element of Wealth)

Deceit (Dark half of Applekjack and Element of Deception)

Blaze (Element of Betrayal and dark half of Rainbow Dash)

Oblivion (dark half of Twilight Sparkle and Element of Non-Magic)

Well, I'd been thinking about this topic at one point too, but I had a different track:

Twilight = Obsessive compulsion

Applejack = Stubbornness

Rainbow Dash = Egotism

Rarity = Narcissism

Pinkie Pie = Neurosis/Psychosis

Fluttershy = Paranoia

Not really opposites of the Elements of Harmony here, but fun nonetheless. :)

• Brohoof 1

Everyone, Science and Magic can't be the chaos counterpart of magic. Twilight uses them. Sheesh....

Magic-Witchcraft.

Laughter-This Element of Disharmony is divided into two-Craziness(as in Pinkanema Diane Pie craziness) and Sadness.

Kindness-Cruelty

Loyalty-Betrayal

Honesty-Deciet

Generosity-Selfishness

Wah? Why is science and logic the opposite of magic? We know Twilight has used science in 'Feeling Pinkie Keen' and is the most consistently logical thinking character. She even goes gets on a literal soapbox about how magic is logical...

Magic requires training and hard work, so maybe work from that for it's opposite. But honestly, I don't think that one needs to be changed, as magic can be used to create disharmony. Like Discord.

Honesty becomes Deceit.

Kindness becomes Cruelty.

Laughter becomes Despair.

Generosity becomes Greed.

Loyalty becomes Betrayal.

Magic becomes... magic. I mean, magic is just spells and enchantments. What the wielder does can be good or evil. Magic is neither good nor evil, it has no moral persuasion.

Not to state the obvious, but didn't this happen in the Return of Harmony 1 & 2? The only one that didn't switch to her opposite character was Twilight, since she just gave up. Not sure if magic has a opposite.

I'll go with what Twi said, "We've got the liar, the grump, the hoarder and the brute." :)

But I don't think all of the nicknames Twilight gave them are necessarily personality traits. I did think of that before I made my post, but then... yeah, what I said in my first sentence.

I'd say they are quite descriptive, no? :) Actually they are personality traits and I'm sticking with them. Besides they are canon. :)