Well as far as what's listed on people's profiles for gender we have:

• 8983 Males
  • 4307 Females
  • 52 MtF Transgender
  • 26 FtM Transgender
  • 54 Pangender
  • 85 Other
  • 2031 Not Telling

(And no, I have no clue why these numbers add up to so much less than our member total... search is mean to me I guess)

*Murders the necessity for a poll*

Oh and I'm male :P

• Brohoof 7

I didn't expect to see double the amount of males to females. I thought there would be more females the fandom.

Even though women are a minority here, we have more female members than the fandom as a whole.  I sat on a panel at BronyCon.  I don't remember the exact numbers, but a professional demographer did a study on the fanbase and according to his results something like 80 to 90% of fans 18 and over are dudes.  That seems awfully high.  Even Transformers, toys intended for boys, has a larger female following than that.  :huh: 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a male and I'd guess that to be the majority, but over the past year or so I've started seeing a lot more women around here, which is pretty awesome. Nothing against men, but sometimes the sausage fest gets so thick I can't see anymore.

• Brohoof 3

It would be interesting to note whether or not more females are inclined to vote in this poll than males. :huh:

Statistically, I'd think there are even more males than meets the eye. Actually, I'm pretty sure I recall a MLP forums census thingo happening earlier last year, so you're likely to get an accurate representation from there.

Edited by The Crimson Cross

I'm male.

Well as far as what's listed on people's profiles for gender we have:

• 8983 Males
  • 4307 Females
  • 52 MtF Transgender
  • 26 FtM Transgender
  • 54 Pangender
  • 85 Other
  • 2031 Not Telling
(And no, I have no clue why these numbers add up to so much less than our member total... search is mean to me I guess)

*Murders the necessity for a poll*

Oh and I'm male :P

Looks like the poll confirms these numbers, 2/3 of members are male, and 1/3 are female.

I'm in the (surprising) female minority here. It seems interesting that there would be about twice as many guys on here, but I guess it does make sense. The fandom's unfortunate reputation in some circles, paired with the stigma against "geek girls" and the overall, erm, nature of the internet would equal out to there being more guys here. I do think I'm seeing a change in the trends though, both here and in the fandom as a whole, as more people are speaking up and saying "Hey, this isn't a weird guy thing. Pones are for everyone."

Personally, I hope to see this trend continue. Fandoms in general are usually heavily divided by gender, but I see no reason why at least this group here on MLPforums can't rise above that.

Also...

Looks like the poll confirms these numbers, 2/3 of members are male, and 1/3 are female.

I think you're forgetting a few people there Blobs :P

I don't feel like calculating percentages right now but it looks more to me like the members are about 1/2 male, 1/4 female, and 1/4 not telling or other identities, roughly :3

Most of the members on here are guys. I'm a girl btw.

I knew that the majority would be male, but I found it interesting that it's about 1/3 female.

Isn't it? To think a show like MLP attracts more males than females (well, teenagers/adults for that matter). When I first started out on this forum, I thought there would be more females than males.

• Brohoof 1

Most of the members on here are guys. I'm a girl btw.

Isn't it? To think a show like MLP attracts more males than females (well, teenagers/adults for that matter). When I first started out on this forum, I thought there would be more females than males.

I don't know that this is necessarily true. The 'Brony' fandom may be majority male, but that's mostly the Brony fandom formed from male-dominated places finding an interest in FiM. The important thing to note is that MLP has always had an adult fandom, and that fandom is mostly women. The 'Brony' fandom is its own thing, and should not be taken as representative of the adult (or should I say 'older'?) MLP fandom as a whole.

• Brohoof 1

I don't know that this is necessarily true. The 'Brony' fandom may be majority male, but that's mostly the Brony fandom formed from male-dominated places finding an interest in FiM. The important thing to note is that MLP has always had an adult fandom, and that fandom is mostly women. The 'Brony' fandom is its own thing, and should not be taken as representative of the adult (or should I say 'older'?) MLP fandom as a whole.

You do have a point! What I meant to say was the MLP:FiM fandom is mostly male. You are correct when you said the MLP fandom as a whole is female dominant.

The 'Brony' fandom is its own thing, and should not be taken as representative of the adult (or should I say 'older'?) MLP fandom as a whole.

Pretty much. As I see it, there are two sides to the MLP fandom, the original and pre-G4 MLP fans who are primarily interested in collecting the toys, and bronies who are primarily interested in FiM, and are mostly either apathetic to MLP before G4 or dislike it, and don't really have any interest in the toys, with the exception of Funkos and trading cards. Some are involved with or consider themselves a part of both sides, (I do myself) but for most, it's really one or the other.

You do have a point! What I meant to say was the MLP:FiM fandom is mostly male. You are correct when you said the MLP fandom as a whole is female dominant.

Without a doubt, I'd say yes. I'd say the male fans get more outside attention because either people are, at best, genuinely curious why they would like something like this or, at worst, they just want someone they can easily mock to feel better about themselves.

• Brohoof 1