Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Lessons in Friendship

Somebody

After all the recent talk of the brony community straying away from the original reasons it was started for in the first place, I decided to start this thread where we can go back to our roots! Everyone's invited to take part in this "old school brony" thread. It will be a happy place where we can share life-learned lessons and wisdom, and a place for us to share love, tolerance and hugs if need be! Brohooves, too! :D

So, what sort of lessons in friendship have you learned lately? They can be lessons from the show you took to heart, or they can be personal lessons you learned on your own. Kind of like a "Dear Celestia" letter!

For me, these past few days, I've learned that friends are very important to one's life, but choosing the right friends is just as important. Not long ago, I was with some people who weren't really being good friends. I had to realize that true friends won't hurt each other, and won't tell each others' secrets. Real friends will share in both each other's happiness when good things happen, and comfort each other during the bad times. Each friend is a pillar of support for the group as a whole, just like a family is supposed to be. You have the right to choose your friends, so choose wisely! ^_^

How about you guys? What lessons in friendship have you learned from the show, or just from life in general? :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Uh, a MLP fanfiction taught me that you don't really know who a person really is. Everyone wears a mask of one sort or another. Just because you might of known someone for years, they is always something they hold back, even if they do it unintentionally. In truth, I've seen this in a lot of things. It's just the games we play...

Edited by Coeus
  • Brohoof 1

I've learnt that it should be what you think of yourself, and not the others around you. When you go and buy a new shirt, think I'll look great in this. Not what will people think? It doesn't matter if they don't like it, or make fun of you. It's that you're yourself, and others can't change that. They may not like it but it only matters if you do.

Uh, a MLP fanfiction taught me that you don't really know who a person really is. Everyone wears a mask of one sort or another. Just because you might of known someone for years, they is always something they hold back, even if they do it unintentionally. In truth, I've seen this in a lot of things. It's just the games we play...

It's just human nature. Still, just as it can hurt a friendship, finding out that there are hidden facets to another person can strengthen a friendship, too! :)

I came here because when I attended BronyCon, I felt the pull of the herd. As an older Brony, I have been through what most of you have been through or are going through, but without a fan-base of like minded people that I could have asked for advice when things were looking down. I had to figure out how survive.

Well, now I'm older and a bit wiser, so I am intent on helping my fellow Bronies and Pegasisters get through the tough times that we all face.

I want to celebrate what I have found to be a wonderful show with wonderful fans.

Come on everypony and smile, smile smile

• Brohoof 3

Friendship sucks.

Nah, just kidding. Lately, I've been hanging with my friends a lot more. When I'm with them, there's nothing in the world I'd rather be doing. Even if we're just boarding back and forth on the sidewalk downtown (We do that for hours. Have I mentioned that our town is boring?), I still really enjoy being in their presence. I guess if I've learned anything, it's that there's nothing more precious in the entire world than a good friend. Even if they're a douchebag (Which my friends usually are), I'd still rather have an evil friend than no friends at all.

(edited)

I learned that true friends should be loyal. I used to have a really good friend throughout elementary school and in 8th grade. When high school started, she started hanging out with her awful middle school friends, who were strangely happy "emos" who sort of abused her (and constantly made fun of me). They were a really bad influence but she looked up to them all the same. Eventually, she had treated her little sister so badly that she was kicked out of her house and was sent to live with her relatives in Utah. She unfriended me and blocked me on facebook most likely because her friends told her I was a lesbian.

It turns out that she wasn't a good friend at all (I'm still super angry at her). My two other friends, on the other hand, haven't left even though most of the kids at their school (I switched schools) talked shit about me and made fun of me. They're much more loyal, and those are truly good friends.

Edit: I'm not a lesbian by the way!! Forgot to mention that!

Edited by cleva

I learnt that its ok to give a friend a good knock on the head if there being a idiot or compleat jack ass because somtimes its required of you to set them strate

(slaps himself in the face)

I have learned that even after years of friendship (I am talking like 15 16 years) friends can drift apart. I have just recently graduated high school and I am going to be attending college soon. My friends promised me we wouldn't drift apart but it happened any way. My best friend Devan moved to a town 50 miles away, my friend Andy and Zack have little to no time for me because of their girl friends, and so lately I find the majority of my time spent alone. I feel this tug of loneliness and if I think about it too much I start to cry (I am very emotional), I know they say people make more friends in college, but I don't know if I want more friends. I spend time on forums to fill the void but that only takes me so far. I am afraid I might fall into another depression.

I learned that you can't really judge a book by its cover. I came to a conclusion too quickly about one guy here, judging by only 2 of his posts. Turns out he is a great guy with hard life at the moment. :/

She unfriended me and blocked me on facebook most likely because her friends told her I was a lesbian.

Well that's some huge news; I thought you were a guy. O_o

(edited)

Well that's some huge news; I thought you were a guy. O_o

I hope that's not a bad thing... ^_^; I get that a lot. (On the internetz at least)

(And I'm not a lesbian, fogot to mention that -_-)

Edited by cleva
  • Brohoof 1

Dear Princess Celestia

I learned that joining a internet forum can be a great way to make new friend's and also become rather addicting!

Your Faithful student

Thyflesh

One thing I've learnt about friendship in my studies? If you find real, true friends, you and they will be there for each other when you need it and when you don't. I've been through some tough tough times lately, and without my friends, I'd be a mess. They were there for me when I wanted someone to talk to, or needed help. I could go into the things they did for me, the amount they went out of their way, but I won't.

I learnt that if you're true, deep friends with someone, you'll not only go out of your way for them, but you'll do it happily, just for the chance to cheer them up, help them out, or be there for them.

(edited)

Dear Citizen Questio,

Today I learnt that sometimes both sides of an argument can have the wrong idea, and need to put their differences into the hooves of an innocent bystander and compromise.

Your decadently-ringed equal,

Abomanon.

Also, here's why I sent you this letter:

I was the innocent bystander with which the differences were burdened. I was right all along, as they soon found out.

Edited by AbominableAnon

Dear Citizen Questio,

Today I learnt that sometimes both sides of an argument can have the wrong idea, and need to put their differences into the hooves of an innocent bystander and compromise.

Your decadently-ringed equal,

Abomanon.

Also, here's why I sent you this letter:

I was the innocent bystander with which the differences were burdened. I was right all along, as they soon found out.

Sounds interesting! I've been in that situation before, where both sides of the argument were wrong. Though I've learned that if those kinds of arguments are frequent among friends, it's important to confront the issue. If that doesn't work, it may be time to reevaluate one's reasons for continuing to be in the same group. I used to have this naive idea of universal friendship, that any two people could be friends if they worked at it... but some people are just incompatible with each other. If that's the case, no one is truly at fault. I found that sometimes the only solution is to walk away in that case.