Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why Are There So Many Pegasi OCs?

Brook

Why did I make my OC a pegasus? Well... I'm Batbrony... that is all... what, that's it, no other reason, honest. -_-

OK, you got me, it's so I can fly and more easily fight crime... and get muffins. ^_^

na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-na-BATBRONY! Also, crime-fighting for muffins is a damn good reason to make your OC a pegasus..
  • Brohoof 2

I have a unrememberable slightly small amount of OCs. I think, like, 1 or 2 of them are pegasi.

Pegasi:said awesomeness

Unicorns:I HAVE A HORN!!!

Earth Ponies:They're ponies. What can I s-PINKIE PIE!!!!

Sooo yeah, pegasi are awesome just because of Rainbow Dash...

Sooo yeah, pegasi are awesome just because of Rainbow Dash...

Well, you probably didn't mean it like that but, pegasi aren't cool JUST because of rainbow dash... They do have some talents.

I cannot speak for others as to why they choose a Pegasus over any others, but I have my own reasons for choosing a Pegasus to represent myself as a pony.

To start with, I've always had a fascination for weather. I love rain, snow, wind, lightning... Anything that you would consider the worst of weather, I would consider to be the best! Bring on the Blizzards and the monsoons! I'll just stand outside and in the middle of it, enjoying every second of it! But anyways, yeah, pegasi and weather kinda go hand-in-hand together, just in case you haven't actually seen the show or anything :P

Secondly, I have always had a dream of flying... Not like, flying an Airplane, I mean simply soaring through the skies like a bird. Honestly, I'd be happy if I suddenly grew a pair of wings and could fly about freely through the sky! Hope I don't need to explain the reason why that makes a Pegasus the best choice for my OC :P

And for the last reason, it is because the other two pony types just do not fit me as well. Sure, I'm strong like a hard working earth pony, and I could easily fit into that category as well. However, it's just not ME, ya know? Unicorns go right out the window, as I don't need any bits of magic to get things done :P

I would also like to throw an assumption out that people like to be Pegasi because they are pretty much the central choice. People don't pick Earth ponies because they are just too plain, they are farmers and bakers or pullers of trains. People don't pick Unicorns, because their magic makes them seem over-powered, and they are the upper-class citizens of Canterlot. Alicorns are just right out in terms of Over-poweredness :P Pegasi are in the middle, not too plain, no magic to do everything for them, they just fly around and control the weather, which is also a plus cause who wouldn't want to do either of those? And they are pretty laid back for the most part, which is always a good choice, right? :)

• Brohoof 4

Honestly, I'd be happy if I suddenly grew a pair of wings and could fly about freely through the sky!

I have to say, that sounds pretty damn painful, if you randomly just grew 32 or so bones with feathers attached to them out of your back for no reason. yeah that's uh... unpleasent to say the least :P. But in genaral I understand what you said and I completely agree, not too fancy, not too plain, just perfect.

And the because people want to make alicorns but some bors look down apon that(i dont know why thoe) and think that u only mad this one for the power it has. That and theres wing opptions than horn opptions on the pony makers.

I can only say why I made Pinkie Shy a pegasus, because I unfortunately lack the power of long range telepathy. Anyway, I made Pinkie Shy a pegasus because I had already made an Earth pony OC (Peeps) and because I thought the wings looked cute and fluffy, especially in the colour pink! Also, I'd like to be able to fly...

• Brohoof 1

because pegasi are the master race

the reason i went with pegasus is because i think the are cool

pegasi are also in greek mythology, and greek mythology is awesome

and they fly

• Brohoof 1

because pegasi are the master race

the reason i went with pegasus is because i think the are cool

pegasi are also in greek mythology, and greek mythology is awesome

and they fly

Like i said wings make everything 21% cooler. Yea thats right i just went there, come get me world :ph34r:
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

"Pegasi" are not in Greek mythology, Pegasus is. Pegasus was not a race of beings, but a single entity, son of Medusa and Poseidon.

Now, popular culture has taken to calling pterippus (winged-horses) the pegasus a race or pegasi, but it is important to remember that Pegasus was a single winged-horse or pterippus.

The purpose of this is to point out that, no, Pegasus are not in Greek mythology as the word "are" suggests more than one, while pterippus are.

Sorry, that's kind of a pet-peeve of mine.

Edited by Vinyl Octavia Karpington
  • Brohoof 3

"Pegasi" are not in Greek mythology, Pegasus is. Pegasus was not a race of beings, but a single entity, son of Medusa and Poseidon.

Now, popular culture has taken to calling pterippus (winged-horses) the pegasus a race or pegasi, but it is important to remember that Pegasus was a single winged-horse or pterippus.

The purpose of this is to point out that, no, Pegasus are not in Greek mythology as the word "are" suggests more than one, while pterippus are.

yes i am aware of that, Hercules used pegasus in greek mythology

ive watched too many ponies and played too much age of mythology XD

(edited)

Um... I really hope you are joking.

First off, "Hercules" was never in Greek mythology, Heracles was. Hercules is Heracles' Roman counterpart.

Secondly, Bellerophon was the only hero to use Pegasus as a steed. "Hercules" only used him in the Disney movie.

Edited by Vinyl Octavia Karpington

My OC is a Alicorn based on my story. If I was limited to the main 3 types I would be a unicorn.

Also I consider a Pegacorn a mix of unicorn and Pegasus but not having much endurance nor having much magic ability. So its much weaker than a Alicorn can be.

Um... I really hope you are joking.

First off, "Hercules" was never in Greek mythology, Heracles was. Hercules is Heracles' Roman counterpart.

Secondly, Bellerophon was the only hero to use Pegasus as a steed. "Hercules" only used him in the Disney movie.

i just put what ever spell check put

and look im sorry im not an expert on greek mythology ok? i know basic, i know enough to sound like an expert to those who dont know much about the subject

Let's keep this on topic, folks. The thread is about Pegasi OCs and why they are so popular, not Greek/Roman mythology.

Carry on. :)

• Brohoof 4

My question is barely a change of the title... Why are there so many OCs? Seriously, everyone and their grandmother makes one.

because they like the show so much, they have a sense of being apart of that universe having a OC. Well that's what I believe anyway.

Um because its cool? and a representation of the fans? That is a very rude question without plausable cause, and I am not a pegasus because Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy are pegasi, in fact that would be the absolute last reason in my opinion

• Brohoof 1

because they like the show so much, they have a sense of being apart of that universe having a OC. Well that's what I believe anyway.

That's... strange. Very... very... strange. Can't think of many other ways to say it... It is just... strange.

That's... strange. Very... very... strange. Can't think of many other ways to say it... It is just... strange.

well if you feel that way, WELCOME TO THE FANDOM, there is no saving you now. Just wait a few months and it will sink in.

well if you feel that way, WELCOME TO THE FANDOM, there is no saving you now. Just wait a few months and it will sink in.

People have said the same thing about shipping and YTPs. And I still will eternally hate both of those. (Don't even get me started on shipping)

(edited)

My OC is a Earth Pony, mostly due to the fact I like underrated things. Ever heard of the background pony Apple Fritter? Most don't, but she's my favorite background pony. Why? She has an awesome design but doesn't get any love.

Also never been one for "the cool factor"

Edited by Skar

Yes, accept this is a personal thing one chooses to share with others. Often it is a deep inward look at who you would be if you were a loving and tolerating pony, and it is putting yourself out there to be apart of that world along with others of the fanbase

On Topic, I get incredibly insulted when people make Alicorn OC's, I mean everyone I am sure would think it pretty cool to be one, but it is not giving in to the temptation and not making Mary Sue characters that is important. But perhaps pegasi are becoming Mary Sues...?

(edited)

People have said the same thing about shipping and YTPs. And I still will eternally hate both of those. (Don't even get me started on shipping)

I don't understand what "shipping" is honestly. I enjoy the show and I already made a fanfic already which my OC is in.

Edited by Ethan Pow

I don't understand what "shipping" is honestly. I enjoy the show and I already made a fanfic already which my OC is in. Truthfully If you don't like it that's fine but I don't think 'crazy' is a good term to basis those that have a OC.

If you don't understand what shipping is, make no attempt to find out. It's worse than reading Sweet Apple Massacre.