Is Fluttershy overrated?

Toughbrony20

The one thing that I think is over looked about Fluttershy is that when she is even a tiny bit annoyed she looks like she is ready to kill. So I think that she is just using the shyness not to go on a murderous rampage through ponyville.

like right here she looks like she wants to murder pinkie pie

• Brohoof 1

e903e0168e.png

Are you the best pony fluttershy?

Don't hurt her feelings she can be overrated but she still cant be treated badly!

She is not trying to get attention she just wants to be loved and tolerated. :(

(well she is a bit overrated but not too much you should Derpy)

G32x3ee.jpg?4

Nope. She isn't my favorite, but I can see why she is allot of folks favorite pony. Just because allot of people voted that she is doesn't make her overrated or anything like that.

• Brohoof 1

Fabulous.png
 "We are all in the gutter, but some of are looking at the stars" ~ Oscar Wilide

She is a nice pony but not the best of the best that is just the best scene to put is front of "are you best pony" I think it is Just an opinion. Any pony can think what he or she wants about the best pony!

best pony!

^_^:lol:;):huh::D -_-

G32x3ee.jpg?4

Am I the only one who gets the vibe that generally all the named ponies get equal amounts of love? I see as much Fluttershy and Derpy love as I see Rainbow Dash love. Where do you people venture that not all ponies are equal ponies? :blink:

1fwbo8.png

• 1 month later...

AWWWW HEEEELLL NO THIS THREAD IS NOT SAYIN' WHAT I THINK IT'S SAYIN'! :angry:

I don't think so. Like she doesn't get that much attention. If anypony is overrated it's Rainbow Dash...

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH YOU THERE!!! MAH FLUTTERSHY IS NOT OVERRATED!!!

And yea, Ranbow Dash gets WAAAAAAAAY too much attention... I think it's gonna make her get a big head...

• Brohoof 1

post-3479-0-68552300-1361330583.png

The Troubled Fighter: Paradox The Creative Romantic: Skyline The Blind Psychic: Psych

Signature: CrystalRose & MatrixChicken

I think the love for this character is deserved. She is very relatable to many because she is so shy, yet is filled with so many good traits that won't come out under normal circomstances.

I'd be willing to bet that a lot of people in the Brony fandom feel they have much in common with her, along with Twilight.

I like to do requests. Please, if there is something you want to see me, an amateur, draw for you, just send me a PM with the details and I'll say yay or nay. Most likely yay.

This may get a lot of hate, but...

Yes.

I do agree that Fluttershy's overrated. She has best pony from Season 1 simply because of that moment from the Best Night Ever. Her personality is way too common in all manners of shows; cute, shy girl who turns strong for her friends. Kind of Mary-Sue like..

*waits for onslaught*

COME AT ME BRAH

• Brohoof 1

Yes.

I do agree that Fluttershy's overrated. She has best pony from Season 1 simply because of that moment from the Best Night Ever. Her personality is way too common in all manners of shows; cute, shy girl who turns strong for her friends. Kind of Mary-Sue like..

*waits for onslaught*

COME AT ME BRAH

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!! AAAAALL OF MY RAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!!

lol jk. I understand why you think that one episode from season one was why Fluttershy was loved so much and why you think she is overrated, but many of us found that we loved her before that.

And never, EVER CALL FLUTTERSHY A MARY-SUE!!!! THAT AIN'T RIGHT! :P

post-3479-0-68552300-1361330583.png

The Troubled Fighter: Paradox The Creative Romantic: Skyline The Blind Psychic: Psych

Signature: CrystalRose & MatrixChicken

Yes.

*waits for onslaught*

COME AT ME BRAH

Agree with that. What annoys me the most, is that she doesn't seem to learn anything at all.

Get's self-confident....and the next episode she behaves exactly like before.

The problem is that her whole character and all the episodes seem to revolve around shyness...and yes, even shy people change with help from their friends and experience. (And Flutters is close friends with RBD and Rarity)

Why not making episodes that focus more on her connection/adventures with the animals or something else...

I may start liking Flutters if she actually starts to show some character development.

Edited by Wildcard
  • Brohoof 2

d3CXl.gif

OC was made by Princess Ariona.

Give her some brohoofs here: http://mlpforums.com/topic/22162-so-you-want-a-pony/ ;)

A lot of screen time goes into Fluttershy so it didn't really surprise me when i saw how popular she was in the polls. And i definitely wouldn't say that she is overrated.

I have to admit that i thought Rainbow Dash was going to be the fan favorite though.

Edited by Bucky_McGillycuddy

Yes.

*waits for onslaught*

COME AT ME BRAH

Haha, I'm not going to hate you, I respect you, my good AJ fan. ;) But to be perfectly honest, Fluttershy isn't a Mary Sue. At least not to me. Besides, if anything, I give credit to the writers for actually NOT making the charcter of Fluttershy too...well...boring. Yes, so far, all her episodes have gone around DIFFERENT types of fears, which is why I love it. Each fear MUST be represented differently, because they are not the same. Will she stand up for her friends, in very, very dire situations? Yes. But so does everypony else. The only difference is that it gets a bigger spotlight to how much of a scaredy cat she is. But for example, has another thing that not many people, I think, considered. And that is, she takes things to the extreme. Fluttershy does in a bigger scale what actually works for her. She's being super afraid of everything and uber shy? Stay away from the only town around, even if it means being closer to a dangerous forest. She can actully find a way to get assertive? BOOM! She turns into a bully Gilda would be rather proud of. And besides, she has a lot of fillyhood trauma, with of getting teased CONSTANTLY by others when smaller. I think that shows enough develpment, to be honest. Is she slightly overrated because of her cuteness? (which I adore :wub: ) Probably a bit. Doesn't make exactly less, the overrated others could consider with Twilight and Rainbow.

Agree with that. What annoys me the most, is that she doesn't seem to learn anything at all.

Get's self-confident....and the next episode she behaves exactly like before.

The problem is that her whole character and all the episodes seem to revolve around shyness...and yes, even shy people change with help from their friends and experience. (And Flutters is close friends with RBD and Rarity)

Why not making episodes that focus more on her connection/adventures with the animals or something else...

I may start liking Flutters if she actually starts to show some character development.

I think she actually did learn something, in my opinion. After Dragonshy, she'd probably react faster to dangerous situations. After Putting Your Hoof Down, she DID became more assertive. And after Hurricane Fluttershy, she learned to at least TRY doing something, regardless of anything else (not really shown because of how close to the ending it was). The problem with Fluttershy is, as you said, she's a shy character. AKA, NOT easy to develop`. The problem is, writers just CAN'T rush her development. Shy people can actually change that with help, of course. But how fast do you actually expect them to? Not everyone can get over that easily, and in the case of Fluttershy, her shyness got BOOSTED after falling from Cloudsdale. Her love for the animals is ALREADY a sort of development thanks to that little bit part of backstory of how she ended up in Ponyville. Not only she loves, thinks they're cute, etc, but they also saved her life. Hence, she does two things. Stay away from the things that would scare her, and at the same time, stay close to the things she loves most, sans her friends. Truth is, that kind of "trauma" I DON'T expect it to, well, heal easily, to be perfectly honest. And I actually think that the writers going around different types of fear (which to be fair, they have done with everypony), is a best way to slowly develop her more, bit by bit. I don't expect her to change so easily. I would like to, but I know it won't. An animal episode would be a nice idea, though, I agree with that.

But guys, the overrated part is a matter of opinion. So at the end of this I'll say "In my opinion", because I don't really know if I'm right. That's what's great about the show, the INMENSE amount of things we can actually think of if we look good, which is another reason why the show is so awesome. :) Reminds of a game called Shadow of the Colossus, which had little to none explanation, and you could just wonder about EVERYTHING...which if done well, is great for the game itself.

Edited by Arcanel

:huh: Huh... I suppose she could be. Don't get me wrong, she gets credit and praise where credit is deserved, most notably for being absolutely adorable (which she most certainly is), but to be fair she doesn't really do that much. Yeah, she tends to her animals (and I assume, based on that one time that she brought Opal to Rarity's after grooming her, she actually might take care of other ponies' pets for a living, ya know, when they're sick, injured, or need to be cleaned/groomed, etc.), but she really needs to be directed by her friends, or other ponies even, to do any activities outside of her comfort zone, or at least they usually need to give her the initial push to do anything outside of her comfort zone. It doesn't matter though, we still love ya Fluttershy!!! :wub:

CDFuh.gif

"You'll hunt me. You'll condemn me, set the dogs on me. Because that's what needs to happen. Because sometimes... cupcakes aren't good enough. Sometimes ponies deserve more. Sometimes ponies deserve to have their faith rewarded... with muffins!!!"

-The Muffin Mare

I don't know, guys. I've seen quite a few topics saying that <insert one of the Mane 6 here> is the most overrated character ever.

Just accept the fact that the Mane 6 works like a comedy troupe. If one member of the team defects, then the comedy act will suffer the next time. Without any of these ponies we wouldn't have the show we all know and love.

Nobody is overrated or underrated. The show's staff does a great job at providing unique one character episodes from time to time.

• Brohoof 1

She needs more character development so the writers can give her more stories. And she needs more events and different stories to happen to her other than testing her shyness/assertiveness so she can grow as a character.

Also, it doesn't matter if she is overrated. There's no prize for being the most accurately rated pony.

Edited by Hat988
  • Brohoof 1

Nah I do not think any of the ponies in the mane 6 are overrated. The only ponies that are like way overrated are Luna and Derpy.

• Brohoof 2

img-2823101-1-UpBh15J.png

I think Fluttershy needs more character, how much do we really know about her besides the love for animals and the shyness (and occasional bouts of rage)...

Her and Applejack don't have a whole, whole lot to them (though I think even Applejack has more identifying traits about her, regardless both deserve more attention)

• Brohoof 1

Can't visit Ponyville? Show up and say you can't!

Nah I do not think any of the ponies in the mane 6 are overrated. The only ponies that are like way overrated are Luna and Derpy.

I agree on Luna and Derpy. While I like Lunas color scheme and her character in the show. that entire Lunar Republic thing, seems so stupid too me...

And Derpy is a nice Easter Egg, but nothing more in my opinion. Also I don't like that almost the entire fandom portrais Derpy as a pony that loves muffins and makes mistakes all the time

• Brohoof 3

d3CXl.gif

OC was made by Princess Ariona.

Give her some brohoofs here: http://mlpforums.com/topic/22162-so-you-want-a-pony/ ;)

I agree on Luna and Derpy. While I like Lunas color scheme and her character in the show. that entire Lunar Republic thing, seems so stupid too me...

And Derpy is a nice Easter Egg, but nothing more in my opinion. Also I don't like that almost the entire fandom portrais Derpy as a pony that loves muffins and makes mistakes all the time

The Derpy thing I understand, she was something the fans latched on to, being unique and she has in many ways become a sort of symbol of how bronies influenced the show (how many other shows can you name where the fans get a meaningless background character up to such a status?)

Luna, I don't understand, maybe its the colours or the story, who knows- ask a Luna fan

Can't visit Ponyville? Show up and say you can't!

Also, Chuck Testa.

Simply because a lot of people like her does not mean she's overrated. She's very cute and sweet, and that makes her easily likable to the majority of the fanbase.

how even is otter and how can it be if

Flutteryshy is a boring character in my opinion. She's always painfully shy to the point where even talking to her own friends or confessing up to something with them is a painful experience and that's something I find very irritating. It's almost like she can't trust her friends because of some weird lingering fear that they will judge her. Hasn't she been through enough with them to trust them at this point?

I also don't like how bland she is. She's shy, quiet, and preserved until she needs to step out of her character and be assertive. It's something they've played out too many times and it just gets very boring after awhile.

As for whether or not she's overrated, well, I don't know. A lot of people like her but that's not to say that she's overrated. The majority of a lot of people just like her because she does cute things, and yeah cute things are awesome. For me though, her personality just doesn't make anything she does cute. Sometimes I have my, "Oh Fluttershy~" moments, so I do confess to having some moments with her, but for the most part I find myself just rolling my eyes.

Edited by dBPony

I think Fluttershy is overrated because she attracts people with her "cuteness" which she doesn't really seem cute to me anymore. Anyway, Fluttershy is my 4th favorite pony.

Kind of yes. She is probably so famous with the fandom cause she is cute. I always thought people would choose their favorite pony based on how much she is like him or her. That's why I chose Rainbow Dash. But I'm not going to lie, Fluttershy is adorable as hell and it's their opinion.