Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Multivitamins?

Lost

20 users have voted

1. 1. Multivitamins, Good or bad?

• Good
    • Bad
    • A mixture of the two.

So, the title says it all really, what are everyone's thoughts on taking Multivitamins, does anypony else take them?

I take them because my diet isn't varied enough, mainly just because i'm a plain fussy eater, but i recognize that i need to get the vitamins some how.

These are what i take:

Posted Image

Posted Image

I alternate between them.

• Brohoof 1

With multivitamins you risk getting too much of some of them and it is not as good as getting the vitamins from food. *IF* you know you havent had any vitamin C during the day or something then sure -- it is better than nothing -- but unless you have a major deficency it isnt the best thing to take every single day.

I take a vitamin tablet maybe twice a week when I am dieting which makes it harder to get what you need. Pretty rarely normally.

Honestly I'm against taking any pills or any kind of artificially made stuff. I don't even take cough drops lol, so I would say I'm against them because they're unnatural but I mean as far as this kind of stuff goes I think they're generally harmless.

I just try to eat well as best I can

I prefer getting my vitamins and minerals through delicious food. Not through tiny hard capsules!

Seriously though. I prefer real food.

Honestly I'm against taking any pills or any kind of artificially made stuff.

Posted Image Edited by Lady Rarity Pony
  • Brohoof 1

They're okay if your diet isn't very good but not the best substitute from getting the vitamins other ways.

My boyfriend has a bad diet and takes multi vitamins and his immune system is crap.

I have a good diet and don't take multivitmains and I don't get sick (only allergy).

Throughout the major part of their evolution humans relied on a certain composition of nutrients: of particular interest here are vitamins, minerals and calories. Back in those boring days our long-forgotten ancestors were spending a lot of time (and energy) to get on with their lives - search for food and escaping predators were much more demanding than what we're used to. And the food that early humans consumed (basically just what can be found in the wilderness) was not particularly rich in energy, so they had to consume a lot. Unwittingly, with it all they also consumed the required doses of those compounds that we call vitamins and minerals. When civilization brought the gift of easily produced food and all sorts of mechanisms to make life easier, humans simultaneously lost the need to consume as much calories as before and gained access to crops that are rich in energy but not so much in the vitamin and mineral department. And your body still needs as much of them every day as in those uncivilized days to be at peak performance. So, take your vitamins.

I worked in a pharmacy for two years, so I've tried all kinds of different stuff haha I usually don't take anything because I am

1) Too lazy

2) forgetful (miss dosages or whatever)

but yeah... They are good. But obviously getting the nutrients through eating the actual foods is far better. But they are good if you're dieting or whatever lol

I don't take any multivitamins. If you need some vitamins, just eat fruits or vegetables. They are better and much more tasty than pills. Vitamins should come from real food, not synthetic stuff.

I persoanally try and jsut eat as healthily as i can so i don't have to take them, however i do take pill's for omega 3 particulaly arround exam time's to help my brain process stuff better.

I think multivitamin's are not really good beucase they encourage you to eat whatever and then just take a pill to solve issue's with an imbalanced diet.

I can understand why someone may take a specific vitamin for a time (like vitamin c before you go on a plane to help avoid illness) or vitamin D if you need to get your level's up fast, but long term taking of vitamin's is not a good thing im mym eye's.

And definate nono to taking them just because you don't eat properly :P

I don't take any multivitamins. If you need some vitamins, just eat fruits or vegetables. They are better and much more tasty than pills. Vitamins should come from real food, not synthetic stuff.

What’s the difference though? I don’t think it would matter if you received the nutrients you were missing in your diet from a pill rather than actual food. For example vitamin C is vitamin C, it does not matter where it comes from the body will still recognize the nutrient as vitamin C. Perhaps I’m misled but that’s always been my view on it.

• Brohoof 1

They are better and much more tasty than pills. Vitamins should come from real food

And exactly what differs the atoms and molecules found in grown organisms from those isolated elsewhere? And do you really do the exercises necessary to deal with all the calories that would come along with the necessary amounts of vitamins in natural package?

@@Mrhnhrm,

@@Flying Whales,

Well, for example, some synthetic vitamins strain your kidneys. When it comes to the vitamin C, here's what I found:

"If you take a look at a variety of vitamin C supplements, you will find that the majority of them contain only ascorbic acid or a compound called ascorbate, which is a less acidic form of acorbic acid. Ascorbic acid is NOT vitamin C. It represents the outer ring that serves as a protective shell for the entire vitamin C complex, much like an orange peel that serves as a protective shell for an orange.(...)

When you take only ascorbic acid found in your synthetic vitamin C tablet or powder, your body must gather all of the other components of the full vitamin C complex from your body’s tissues in order to make use of it. In the event that your body does not have adequate reserves of the other components, ascorbic acid itself does not provide any of the health benefits that the full vitamin C complex does."

source :http://drbenkim.com/...s-vitamins.html

Ascorbic acid is NOT vitamin C

Yes it is, this guy should learn to call a spade a spade. And yes, vitamins only do their job in the organism when bonded to certain proteins. The problem is that these proteins may differ from species to species, and your digestive system has no choice but to break down vitamin-protein complexes present in food until only individual aminoacids and vitamins remain. You just can't absorb anything else into the bloodstream and lymph. Your system will then rebuild what it needs from what it has. You shouldn't trust a guy who calls himself a doctor and doesn't know that.

What’s the difference though? I don’t think it would matter if you received the nutrients you were missing in your diet from a pill rather than actual food. For example vitamin C is vitamin C, it does not matter where it comes from the body will still recognize the nutrient as vitamin C. Perhaps I’m misled but that’s always been my view on it.

This is true, however if you need vitamin C then you might not be getting enought fruit.

Ignoring this and just taking a pill encourage's bad eating habit's that may be affecting your body in other ways (like a lack of fibre from not eating enought fruit).

atleast this is what I think :P:)

Edited by Happy Plant

When I remember to, sure. It can't hurt to get a little extra help every once in a while. My diet is simple and often very poor, but I do try to make sure I eat some healthy stuff every so often.

@@Mrhnhrm,

Perhaps you're right :huh: . I won't argue, cause my biology knowledge is really poor.

However, I still prefer real food. Unlike pills, it's tasty :) .

My multi-vitamins are actually rather tasty, if i could eat more than one a day i would happily eat them as a snack.

I take those Everyday Health ones too.

I'll admit, my diet isn't perfect, but I never really have any problems. I've taken multivitamins all my life, so I guess they're doing alright.

I took them as a child, but only started taking them again about a year ago because i felt my diet wasn't sufficient enough.

• 2 weeks later...

I would only do vitamin pills if my body was lacking that certain vitamin, ether wise I would just stay away from them. I wouldn't count them as bad, but not all of them have the vitamins packed into the pill as well as it says.

Though I take something called "Get well" medicine when I start feeling sick, because it is like natural steroids for your immune system. Works well.

I take a multivitamin every day. It's very hard to get all the nutrients you need from food (at least the food I eat). I always take it with food. If the body is absorbing nutrients from food the vitamin just mixes in. You can't really take to many vitamins since those that aren't needed just get secreted (lol).

We eat lots of veggies and fruit and lean meat in our house but taking a multivitamin helps with a lot of lethargy I struggle with, If I miss my women's multivitamin for a couple of days I get very lethargic and worn down. I am missing some vitiman or mineral I just don't know.what, so the multivitamin helps keeep me going until I can get to the Dr and find out