Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are these real bronies?

Beat Shock

At school today, I wore a "Doctor Hooves" t-shirt. I met two people during an activity who call themselves bronies, but I'm not sure if they really are.

At first, they came up to me all excited and brohoofed me, and they started talking about the show, and their favorite characters. I was certain that they were bronies, and that they were involved in the community, and I told them: "Haha, yeah. I just learned this song on piano from WoodenToaster-"

One of them cut me off and said: "A wooden toaster? What?"

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. :mellow:

"Yeah, you guys know about WoodenToaster, right? He writes techno pony songs like Nightmare Night, and Rainbow Factory!"

"No..."

"Well what about TheLivingTombStone?" :huh:

"I know he made the soundtrack for asdf movie 5."

SERIOUSLY, THEY KNOW HIM BY ASDF MOVIE, AND NOT BY HIS INCREDIBLE PONY SONGS??? :angry:

"Well, you guys don't know about brony musicians... how could you not know? Equestria Daily shows them all the time-"

Again, one of them cut me off: "What's Equestria Daily?"

These guys are noobs. http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png

"Do you guys know anything about the brony stuff on the internet?!"

"Bonies are on the internet? Our friend showed us My little Pony, and told us to brohoof other fans at the school."

I don't know if these people should be considered bronies. They are definitely fans of the show, but they don't have any clue of the huge fandom that made bronies who they are.

SHOULD THESE CHUMPS BE CONSIDERED REAL BRONIES? :wacko:

EDIT: When I am asking, "Are these real bronies?", I am pretty much asking if a brony is someone in the fandom, or just a MLP fan.

Edited by Beat Shock

I know with me I can barely name any Brony musicians simply due to the fact I'm not into the kinds of music 90% of them do. Also, Brony just means fans outside of the intended fan-base, so yes, they're Bronies.

I wonder about the EqD thing though, I knew about them before I even fully jumped in.

Edited by Shoboni

If they're fans of the show and consider them broniesselves, let them be bronies. No need to look down on them or question their status as a brony simply because their enjoyment of FiM doesn't extend beyond the show into the online community.

• Brohoof 7

to a lesser degree, but bronies none the less. did they tell you when they first discovered the show? if it was like, a week ago, then whatever, im sure they would have found out someday, but if it was like a year ago, then maybe they just dont dive into the fandom as much as the show

• Brohoof 1

What the living muffin is WoodenToaster? I never really liked any TheLivingTombstone too :huh:

Am I a brony?

If one man should knows every damn thing related to the fandom before he allowed to call himself a brony, then no one in this forum is a Brony

• Brohoof 2

Yes because they actually like the show. They just don't know about the fanbase. Which might be good in a way because parts of the fanbase are really kinda...bad. Though I'll be honest I don't know who WoodenToaster is either. I don't really care about things like songs and fanfics and stuff.

Honestly if you would've asked me the same questions about WoodenToaster and TheLivingTombstone, I would've had the same reaction as them. As for Equestria Daily... well it's a pretty major site in the brony community, but I don't think that not knowing it disqualifies you as a brony.

To me, a brony is someone outside of the target age group who enjoys the show. Period. It doesn't really matter if they internet or not. If they know the show and they like it, they're bronies.

Ponies are everywhere, but you have to know that they really aren't everywhere. Yet.

What I mean is they might know about those guys in their non-MLP works, but maybe specifically said works.

When you take a moment to look literally around you, ponies aren't related to every single item in popular culture, despite how much of it already is may hype you. So don't expect these guys to relate anything to a/the pony part of whatever topic you bring up.

to a lesser degree, but bronies none the less. did they tell you when they first discovered the show? if it was like, a week ago, then whatever, im sure they would have found out someday, but if it was like a year ago, then maybe they just dont dive into the fandom as much as the show

They said their friend Justin introduced them to My little Pony over a year ago... I don't think they would search anytime soon. -_-

I was shocked when they said they said: "I bet no one likes My little Pony as much as the kids at this school"

That was SO untrue! There are barley any of them where I am, and the aren't even that excited about ponies.

Are there even such a thing called "real bronies?" I mean at least those guys knew who the characters are and what the show is about. Plus they knew what a Bro-hoof is. Just because they may not like to listen to certain kinds of music or even listen to certain artists doesn't make them any less of a brony. Your a brony if you enjoy watching the show and have grown to love its fandom. So to me there is no such thing.

• Brohoof 2

They said their friend Justin introduced them to My little Pony over a year ago... I don't think they would search anytime soon. -_-

I was shocked when they said they said: "I bet no one likes My little Pony as much as the kids at this school"

That was SO untrue! There are barley any of them where I am, and the aren't even that excited about ponies.

then im gonna go ahead and say that they have no idea how big bronies are. honestly i dont even know of a commonly known place in which ponies havent invaded yet. introduce them to some stuff, and who knows, maybe one day theyll tell you about a new pony musician

Seriously, there is no such thing as a brony heirarchy. You're either a brony or you're not, there's no such thing as good or bad bronies, experienced or not bronies, etc. I'm a brony and I very much dislike brony music. Two of my friends are bronies, yet they never check Equestria Daily, hang out on forums, or listen to pony music. It would be like calling an American not an American just because he/she doesn't know who Frank Sinatra is.

It's not a good habit to consider people lower on the rung just because they're a little different than other people who are part of the fandom.

• Brohoof 2

"Not true Scotsman," eh? You shouldn't expect new people to be as intimately familiar as you are with old things. Everybody starts somewhere, and if they were brought to the show by somebody in real life rather than stumbling across it on the internet, they probably wouldn't know about all that stuff unless he introduced them to it as well.

A brony, in the simplest definition of the word, is somebody who likes the show. You could take it a step further and say the only people who are bronies are those who espouse the show's positions on the nature of friendship and self-worth. Never should it have anything to do with one's acceptance of fanon or materials extraneous from the show. The ideas set forth within Friendship is Magic are what have "made bronies who they are." Anything extra that developed from our gathering is great, but to say those things alone are what defines us is a bit insulting to the writers and animators, and is to take undue credit for ourselves.

You sound a bit elitist, to be honest. Don't treat them that way.

Well, they like ponies, so that qualifies them to be a brony.

It's probably just that they're new, and are going to discover the fanbase very soon. And then they'll be normal.

But yeah. I can understand your frustration. Some dude found out I was a brony, and was all "I like my little pony too!", so I asked him what his favorite pony was. He said "Cutie Pie". I was all "Cutie Pie?" and he's all "Yeah, Cutie Pie."

I facepalmed so hard.

:|

While it too baffles me a bit that they didn't know of Equestria Daily, as long as they watch the show, I say they're still bronies, it's all I mostly care about when it comes to MLP but I'm pretty passionate about liking it. Also, I don't listen to brony music very often, so I don't know who the heck WoodenToaster is. :P

Edited by (\SBB64/)

At school today, I wore a "Doctor Hooves" t-shirt. I met two people during an activity who call themselves bronies, but I'm not sure if they really are.

At first, they came up to me all excited and brohoofed me, and they started talking about the show, and their favorite characters. I was certain that they were bronies, and that they were involved in the community, and I told them: "Haha, yeah. I just learned this song on piano from WoodenToaster-"

One of them cut me off and said: "A wooden toaster? What?"

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. :mellow:

"Yeah, you guys know about WoodenToaster, right? He writes techno pony songs like Nightmare Night, and Rainbow Factory!"

"No..."

"Well what about TheLivingTombStone?" :huh:

"I know he made the soundtrack for asdf movie 5."

SERIOUSLY, THEY KNOW HIM BY ASDF MOVIE, AND NOT BY HIS INCREDIBLE PONY SONGS??? :angry:

"Well, you guys don't know about brony musicians... how could you not know? Equestria Daily shows them all the time-"

Again, one of them cut me off: "What's Equestria Daily?"

These guys are noobs. http://mlpforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.png

"Do you guys know anything about the brony stuff on the internet?!"

"Bonies are on the internet? Our friend showed us My little Pony, and told us to brohoof other fans at the school."

I don't know if these people should be considered bronies. They are definitely fans of the show, but they don't have any clue of the huge fandom that made bronies who they are.

SHOULD THESE CHUMPS BE CONSIDERED REAL BRONIES? :wacko:

EDIT: When I am asking, "Are these real bronies?", I am pretty much asking if a brony is someone in the fandom, or just a MLP fan.

Real bronies? I would like to say this without sounding like a total dick. But who in the hoof are you to decide who is a "real" brony or not. What definition of "brony" are you using? You are not using the definition of the fact that they are simply fans of mlp, you are saying they have to be more. Like as if every "brony" by your standards needs to know who certain brony artists are. That is not the loving and tolerating way. This fandom is made up of millions of people. Some of them might not like certain music or art. Does that make them any less of a fan of MLP? No, it does not. And for you to insinuate this, really shows how intolerant you are.
  • Brohoof 1

Seriously....your seriously asking this? Wow.

Yes, they're bronies. They don't have to know everything to be one. Hell, I don't even listen to them or care for their music. I only know a little of their music as well. Couldnt tell you who did what. Not everyone is going to be all into the tiny details like that.

Bro, I think you worded it a bit too harshly, even if you are a Jr. High student, and it is common slang for you, (as you explained to me earlier) in the internet, your words can be taken ENTIRELY differently than what you intended. Always keep that in mind.

Yes, they are as much as bronies as we at MLP forums are. There are different types of fans as there are different types of people. Some are only in it for the show, and a near equal amount are in it for the fandom entirely with the majority residing somewhere inbetween. Some could even exist without even knowing much about the other side.

And unless they watch the show and object to being called a brony, they have as much of a right to be called a brony as you do They probably are unaware of the internet fandom, as a few other bronies could actually be. It's entirely possible. You can browse the internet and avoid the pony sites easily if you aren't looking for them, so it is a very "in the know" kind of facet of the fandom. Though, just do them a favor, tell them to look up these musicians and inform them *kindly* about the internet base. They might be unbelieving, but informing them may help them enjoy the brony experience to it's fullest. Also, ask them what genre of music they like, and come to me. Undoubtedly, there is a pony musician specializing in that genre that they can listen to, along with showing off a few brony classics such as the Discord Remix by Tombstone or Nightmare Night by WoodenToaster, who are counted as part of the "mainstream" brony musicians.

Personally, I think that "show bronies" unaware of the fandom side of MLP are missing out on half the fun. I keep my daily dose of ponies up, but I can't go by without my Brony music blaring on Yamaha Subwoofers or rapping a song by Mic the Microphone. If they stay away, then respect them for that. But I think the funnest part of converting or introducing people to the fandom is introducing the awesome talent and works it has to them personally. Trust me bro, it's a fun experience.

Edited by Brisineo