• Mac OS 9 (or older)
    • Linux
    • Other
    • Windows 8
    • Windows 10
  2. 2. Kind of computer?

• An unstoppable monster
    • Just your average, modern machine - decently fast, but nothing special
    • A slow hunk of plastic that hardly deserves to be called a computer anymore

(edited)

CPU: I7-3770K

GPU(s): SLI GTX 760s OC

Motherboard: ASROCK Z77 EXTREME 4

PSU: CX600M

Mouse: Raizer Taipan/GM3900

Standard gaming keyboard

RAM: 16 GB RAM

Disk Space: 2 TB HDD

Monitor: BenQ 24" 1080p 60hz

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred V3

Standard Case Fans

Because some people may be interested, FPS in multiple games on competitive settings

Battlefield 3: 130+ FPS

Battlefield 4: 70+ FPS

Team Fortress 2: 130+ FPS

CS GO: Practically infinite XD

Edited by ARagY

I have a few, this is the primary workstation at home.

Some of you may actually recognize this build.

CPU - Intel Core i7-4770K
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 (not a fan of the company but what can you do)
Mem - Patriot Viper 3 32GB
SSD - Two Samsung 840 EVO 250GB
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 2TB
Video - Asus Radeon HD 7970 3GB
OS - Dual - Windows 8.1 Professional & Linux Xubuntu (may move to SUSE)*

Monitors - Three Dell Ultra Sharp 24" IPS

* I would love to get rid of Windows completely ... but my daughter would kill me if she couldn't use After Effects and CC. (sigh)

• Brohoof 1

I use a Series 3 Samsung Chromebook. It's alright, but not enough for what I want to do. The processor is clocked at 1.7Ghz, but apparently, it uses the ARM architecture, which doesn't seem to have much support anymore. mlp-fnotamused.png

• 1 month later...
~ Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 ATX

~ CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz

~ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150

~ Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3-1600

~ Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5'' 5400RPM

~ Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB

~ PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G2

~ OS: Windows 8.1 Pro (64-Bit)

~ Monitor: Asus VS228H-P 21.5''

Just built it last month. It runs games pretty damn well compared to my old computer, though it still ain't the most powerful one out there. :P

• 2 weeks later...

*Ahem.*

I present to you the specs of my beast:

Case: RAIDMAX AEOLUS ATX

Motherboard: ASUS A88XM-A

PSU: (Supplied with case, but it's 500W.)

CPU/GPU: AMD A10-7700K Quad Core 3.4Ghz APU

HDD: Seagate 500GB

RAM: 16GB

It can play TF2 at high settings with 140 FPS at average. 

• 3 weeks later...

~ Case: Thermaltake Chaser A31 ATX
~ CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz
~ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150
~ Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3-1600
~ Storage: Western Digital WD Green 2TB 3.5'' 5400RPM
~ Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB
~ PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750W G2
~ OS: Windows 8.1 Pro (64-Bit)
~ Monitor: Asus VS228H-P 21.5''

Just built it last month. It runs games pretty damn well compared to my old computer, though it still ain't the most powerful one out there. :P

Old post, but do you know how much power that thing is taking? >w<

If you don't, try to guess what ya think~

Old post, but do you know how much power that thing is taking? >w<

If you don't, try to guess what ya think~

~267W according to PC Part Picker (and the PSU has an output of 750W ... overkill?), though I'm not sure how accurate that is. :P

~267W according to PC Part Picker (and the PSU has an output of 750W ... overkill?), though I'm not sure how accurate that is. :P

Very accurate actually. I've studied my wattage with different items as well, and that should be about as much as it should pull since both the intel part and the nvidia maxwell part are quite good power savers.

That being said, may never know if you'd switch out the graphics card to something like 2 Gtx 760's or so >w< Then it'll pull about 400 or so i'd believe including processor.

In the meantime, I might as well post my own specs, since i've updated my GPU <3

Case: Sentey Optimus GS-6000 mid tower case, with +1 fan on the bottom added.

Processor: AMD Athlon x4 740 processor, clocked at 3.2 ghz

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty FM2-A88x Killer

Graphics Card: HIS Radeon HD 6950 2GB (( Replaced 2 Radeon R7 260x's by Gigabyte, rarely used both of them at the same time, so I upgraded ))

RAM: Team Zeus 8GB DDR3 2133 (( Running at 1866 ))

Hard Drive: Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM hard drive

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600 power supply.

Roughly i'm thinking that it draws about 350 watts of power since the processor takes little juice, on the other hoof, the 6950 takes about ~250 watts to run it at full. If I end up getting a new computer, i'd probably move the GPU over to it to give it a bit more headroom for performance.

Edited by Milk Wave
  • Brohoof 1

Mac book pro... Need I say anything more?

Well there is more to it, late 2011, runs windows 8.1, and it's ok for some of dem games!

Soon I'm getting a new one tho

A new mac book? Jesuis those things are the same price as a custom desktop or gaming laptop

Edited by ARagY

A new mac book? Jesuis those things are the same price as a custom desktop or gaming laptop

No... You really think I'm gonna make the same mistake? (Actually it's was gifted to me :P) I ment I'm getting a new computer.... That actually might be a gaiming laptop...

No... You really think I'm gonna make the same mistake? (Actually it's was gifted to me :P) I ment I'm getting a new computer.... That actually might be a gaiming laptop...

Good, good.. just stay away from Alienware/Origin PCs

Hm... I'll try to remember what I can. (I recently made a post about this in another topic here, so that may help my memory. xD)

AMD Athlon II 2.20 Ghz

6GB RAM

Radeon HD 3200 Integrated GPU

600GB HDD

24 inch 1080i (or is it p... I don't know...don't care. xD) monitor.

I do not know the rest. All I know is it does not run The Sims 3 well at all, and I couldn't take it anymore.

And here's the one I just ordered, which *should* be able to run TS3 amazingly... But it is a PC, and it is The Sims 3... So fingers crossed. >.<

Intel Core i5-4430 3.0Ghz Quad Core Processor

8GB RAM

Radeon R9 270X GPU

1TB HDD

256GB SSD

Hm... I'll try to remember what I can. (I recently made a post about this in another topic here, so that may help my memory. xD)

AMD Athlon II 2.20 Ghz

6GB RAM

Radeon HD 3200 Integrated GPU

600GB HDD

24 inch 1080i (or is it p... I don't know...don't care. xD) monitor.

I do not know the rest. All I know is it does not run The Sims 3 well at all, and I couldn't take it anymore.

And here's the one I just ordered, which *should* be able to run TS3 amazingly... But it is a PC, and it is The Sims 3... So fingers crossed. >.<

Intel Core i5-4430 3.0Ghz Quad Core Processor

8GB RAM

Radeon R9 270X GPU

1TB HDD

256GB SSD

Oh pfft, runs like a breeze.

Just saying, Sims 3 doesn't take that much juice to run. Your old computer just had very outdated and weak specs. And being a very big AMD fan, I know my stuff when I say that it can run that game.

Heck it can run a bunch of other games too at much higher settings as well. Though I wouldn't have gone for that specific Radeon GPU, that's still an alright choice to buy for its money.

Oh pfft, runs like a breeze.

Just saying, Sims 3 doesn't take that much juice to run. Your old computer just had very outdated and weak specs. And being a very big AMD fan, I know my stuff when I say that it can run that game.

Heck it can run a bunch of other games too at much higher settings as well. Though I wouldn't have gone for that specific Radeon GPU, that's still an alright choice to buy for its money.

I got the first computer five years ago, and it was a gift. I most certainly wouldn't have chosen the integrated graphics card if I had the choice... But I was so happy to have a computer that could run games at all. The one before had gotten issues and would crash if anything intensive was done, like watching a video full screen.

It may not take a lot of juice to run, but running and being playable are two entirely different things. The game can run on my current PC, but it runs horribly. It freezes all of the time, textures take ages to load (and are oftentimes very blurry for long amounts of time), Sims stand around for half a Sim day doing nothing after I told them to go to work. etc., etc. Plus, them loading screens... >.<

I went with that graphics card because it was reported to be one of the first in line to run The Sims 3 + All Expansion Packs with minimal lag. I was going to get a Geforce GTX 760 instead but was told it wasn't necessary. Here's to hoping that was true.

Going to finally update my post from like last year.

My PC is a Chillblast Fusion Firefly

Intel i3 3220 3.3Ghz

Asus P8B75-M LX Motherboard

8GB of RAM

Nvidia Geforce GTX650 1gb Video Ram

1TB Hard Drive

That's everything that is important :D Not amazing, but it does the job. 

I got the first computer five years ago, and it was a gift. I most certainly wouldn't have chosen the integrated graphics card if I had the choice... But I was so happy to have a computer that could run games at all. The one before had gotten issues and would crash if anything intensive was done, like watching a video full screen.

It may not take a lot of juice to run, but running and being playable are two entirely different things. The game can run on my current PC, but it runs horribly. It freezes all of the time, textures take ages to load (and are oftentimes very blurry for long amounts of time), Sims stand around for half a Sim day doing nothing after I told them to go to work. etc., etc. Plus, them loading screens... >.<

I went with that graphics card because it was reported to be one of the first in line to run The Sims 3 + All Expansion Packs with minimal lag. I was going to get a Geforce GTX 760 instead but was told it wasn't necessary. Here's to hoping that was true.

*nodnods* Ahh, okay. R9 280's a better GPU then the GTX 760 by a little bit, costs the same as the R9 270x which is unusual, but either or works >w< I prefer to get the best out of my system though, which is why I always check price to performance, always.

Tis why I got my Radeon HD 6950 at like, $75 bucks used. Tis a bossing outdated GPU at a kickass price which rips games apart better then my R7 260x <3

Soooo...I am not sure of my computer specs, mainly because I work on things when needed...

BUT I must comment on the OP's poll questions in regards to my computer...

My computer is a monster....not because it's beefed up and can run Skyrim at the max FPS or anything, but because IT JUST WON'T DIE!

The computer I have is the cheapest laptop from Best Buy...7 years ago. It's a Toshiba. It's been thrown out the 2nd story window, been sat on, stepped on, and has had things spilled on it...and other than replacing the HDD, battery, and cable over the course of 7 years, everything else is in tip top shape (for its age and condition). The screen (other than a few faded spots that take a keen eye to see) works fine, and the internal components have stayed fairly clean. I upgraded the HDD from 160gb to 250gb last year, and recently replaced the battery and cable because it was on literal life support for 3 years (15 minutes of battery life, if that) that I couldn't stand it anymore. It won't die...I have named it ZombieCompy....

2r4hiis.jpg

Soooo...I am not sure of my computer specs, mainly because I work on things when needed...

BUT I must comment on the OP's poll questions in regards to my computer...

My computer is a monster....not because it's beefed up and can run Skyrim at the max FPS or anything, but because IT JUST WON'T DIE!

The computer I have is the cheapest laptop from Best Buy...7 years ago. It's a Toshiba. It's been thrown out the 2nd story window, been sat on, stepped on, and has had things spilled on it...and other than replacing the HDD, battery, and cable over the course of 7 years, everything else is in tip top shape (for its age and condition). The screen (other than a few faded spots that take a keen eye to see) works fine, and the internal components have stayed fairly clean. I upgraded the HDD from 160gb to 250gb last year, and recently replaced the battery and cable because it was on literal life support for 3 years (15 minutes of battery life, if that) that I couldn't stand it anymore. It won't die...I have named it ZombieCompy....

img-3156325-1-2r4hiis.jpg

Sounds like I really should have gotten that one!

I got a laptop that very same year... An HP. I bought it with my graduation money and I was so happy to have one and get to use it for my first year at college. But instead it was broken the first day of college (it literally messed up on that day).

Combined with terrible service from HP (acknowledgement that it was a defective model, and that it could not be fixed, promising to send me a new model... Getting my old laptop back, 'fixed', but with NEW issues), I will never buy an HP ever again.