Could you fall in love with inanimate objects?

Legit101

http://www.telegraph...ffel-Tower.html

Alrighty, topics over, get Swoop in here to close the topic now ;)

Yeah I kinda missed the non-real bit in the title there, as the Eiffel tower is a physical object ;) But I'm assuming the same sort of thing would apply here; if a person can fall in love with an inanimate object, why not a fictional being as well?

Edited by Klopp

Love is an emotion controlled by many factors, all of which could possibly be 'manipulated' (for lack of a better word) by something that isn't technically real, such as a fictional character. The emotion of love can be felt for anything in which an attraction can be as well, and depending on the person, appearance and personality or both could affect such a thing with a personal relationship being wholly unnecessary.

Umm... Therefore, yeah, you could technically love something that's fictional.

• Brohoof 4

I believe that you can fall in love with the made up personality of a non-existing person (or pony). If the person really gets to you and touches your heart.

I don't think you actually fall in love with, let's say, Fluttershy. I believe you fall in love with her persoanlity in some degree that you think "having her as my partner would be amazing." I don't think you actually wanted to partner up with a yellow mare with a pink mane. Imagine the scene at your home? (or your bed for that matter)

But yes, the characteristics of a made up person is supposed to mirror some type of personality that actually exists in real life, and it's THAT personality that you fall in love with.

Well, that's my point of view on this at least.

• Brohoof 4

I was, at one point, in love with Karin from Chibi Vampire.

Posted Image

No, not just based on looks, but I'll be damned if she wasn't a looker anyway. (This is fanart and not official art btw but it's close enough that it doesn't matter)

No, I really don't see how you can fall in love with an object or cartoon character. Never has made any sense to me.

• Brohoof 1

How can you fall in love with anyone? Because you like them either physically or for their personality. If you like a person's personality it hardly matters that they interact with you or not.

I suppose I value love too highly to believe you can fall in-love with characters,

you may be attracted to their personality, but love

love is much more special than that. ~

just like you can't LOVE someone you've never talked to.

Edited by Shankveld

But yes, the characteristics of a made up person is supposed to mirror some type of personality that actually exists in real life, and it's THAT personality that you fall in love with.

Posted Image

• Brohoof 2

Love is an emotion controlled by many factors, all of which could possibly be 'manipulated' (for lack of a better word) by something that isn't technically real, such as a fictional character. The emotion of love can be felt for anything in which an attraction can be as well, and depending on the person, appearance and personality or both could affect such a thing with a personal relationship being wholly unnecessary.

Umm... Therefore, yeah, you could technically love something that's fictional.

I believe that you can fall in love with the made up personality of a non-existing person (or pony). If the person really gets to you and touches your heart.

I don't think you actually fall in love with, let's say, Fluttershy. I believe you fall in love with her persoanlity in some degree that you think "having her as my partner would be amazing." I don't think you actually wanted to partner up with a yellow mare with a pink mane. Imagine the scene at your home? (or your bed for that matter)

Well, that's my point of view on this at least.

Both these posts are the answer.

Yes you can most definitely love something/someone/somepony that does not exist. Not so much because you want to be with an equine animal or a picture on paper but more because the personality and/or humanised appearance can be desirable.

Yes, It's happened to us all.

My mom own a fashion store, and one time this mother came in with her three year old son. This little fella spent the entire time hugging and hanging out with our vacuum cleaner. the mother was telling us about how he absolutely loves and adored vacuum cleaners, as if they were real people. You can imagine the chaos the little guy brought up when it was time for him to leave.

At that point I had two thoughts:

1) I hope he doesn't grow up to have a strange fetish.

2) Perhaps this is a good thing, he may grow up to have a special knack for machinery, he may just grow up to create jet packs, or hoverboards.

Or he can grow up to create vampire robot Nazi zombies and enslave us all....

*shudder*

I think it is entirely possible for someone to fall in love with an object. Of course that doesnt make it healthy in any way and the people trying to justify it on here probably have never been in a real relationship.

What I am trying to say is that yeah it can happen, but its sad and pathetic and seems like social suicide.

?box.jpeg

HEY,

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsikPswAYUM

Don't make fun of his waifu.

• Brohoof 1

I'm gonna have to say no, I don't think you can fall in love with a non-real thing/character.

Love requires an emotional connection. An animated character doesn't have emotions. An animated character has an artist, voice actor, and script writer.

Even if a person found a way to "love" said fictional character, the fictional character cannot love back. It is a fictitonal character. The closest that could happen would be if the person in "love" with the character wrote the character interacting with themselves, which would be just further slipping into insanity, and since the person would be writing their "lover's" words themselves, in reality it would be themselves they loved.

Love is brain chemistry, it can happen towards the most ridiculous of things and concepts. It can persist and persevere like a real thing but in the end it always lacks the human factor then and resembles more a religious devotion than true relationship. However since it is chemistry, as a process it is similar to love towards humans, and like everything in our limited reality, it is not magical, it is not destiny and it entails no promises, it is just brains acting up on the basis of what they have come to believe to be a suitable companion.

Such condition generally is a malfunction, a misfiring of impulses that otherwise would enable a normal relationship, now fixated to a fictional entity only bring misery through inability to truly experience interaction among other lacking features..

• Brohoof 2