Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Things you do that you can't explain

JeanHover

If you don't know, OCD stand for Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. Every human has a bit of it, some more than others. For example, when I am walking anywhere with tiles, I like to step only on every other tile and only every other tile. Also, I know this is weird, but I like to do everything eight times. I count my steps to makes sure that I do eight at a time, if I spin a globe I do it eight times, even sometimes when I click on my computer I feel compelled to do it seven more times. It's quite possible that I have a more serious case of it, but as I said, every human has it.

So, what does your OCD make you do, if anything?

• Brohoof 1

When I'm walking down the sidewalk I always try to place my feet on the exact same place on every crack. I also obsessively clean things. Not to mention I freak out if things aren't even or straight.

Edited by Death the Kid
  • Brohoof 1

I like to do everything in fours. I click on my mouse four times or tap my computer 4 times. I also might do it eight times but that's not so common. I also have an obbession on getting things completely aligned correctly. For example, I was making a poster with Photoshop today and I went tryhard over trying to get the text 100% perfectly centered. But my OCD isn't as bad as it was a few years ago

I am self aware of my arm movements when I'm walking, so I either stuff my hands in my pockets when I'm bothered or I just swing one arm. Also, the sight of a single icon on my desktop annoys the heck out of me. My real life organization skills are nowhere near as picky though, in fact, some would argue they are non existant. I like to call it "organized chaos."

• Brohoof 1

It really shouldn't be called obsessive compulsive disorder.

If anything, it should be called Obsessive Compulsive ORDER.

It's silly that people call something so orderly a disorder. :P

I do that stuff with the tiles, I like to keep things organized and an a pattern, and I really like to keep stuff symmetrical.

I'm also obsessed with using words and terms correctly (such as the word "disorder").

One of the things that bothers me most, though, is how we have a language that uses 34 sounds, and yet with only have 26 characters in our alphabet, 3 of which are redundant. I think it's silly that we don't have a consistent system of 34 characters. :P

It's sad how in the word "father" the A makes a short O sound.

• Brohoof 2

-When using the soap dispenser I have to press it 10 times

-I pick at my eye lashes

-I randomly breath in heavily until my lungs feel like they are going to burst

-When showering, I have to increase the heat regulator exactly 4 times, starting at under 38°, then 38°, then about 40° and then I set it to 42°C

-Everything needs to be perfect, that's why everything on my desk has its place and I totally freak out if it just gets moved by 1mm. So every time I accidentally move something I will probably spend the next 5 hours trying to put it back into the place it belongs

That's all I can think of at the moment. I'm sure there's plenty more I could list.

Edited by CloudsdaleCompanion

In my writing class, we write paragraphs, each of which must contain 6 different sentence types. We label the sentences with numbers at the beginning to indicate which type of sentence it is.

When I do mine, I write it so that each type of sentence comes in numerical order, thus going in a strict progression of 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Doing this makes it slightly harder to write, an a tiny bit awkward, however, I do like having them in order, and I feel compelled to do it.

Everything needs to be on one side of my desk. If it gets on both sides, I freak out.

Also when I put papers in folders, they all need to be at the same height and width.

I trip over things that aren't there. I always flail my arms when I get excited. (Yeah I dunno) When I see a stack of papers, I try fixing them so they are perfectly lined up.

Teeheehee, this:

Posted Image

My OCD is spread over a massive area - not necessarily a huge influence, but it touches most everything. For example, everything on my desk has a place. It may seem random, but it has a purpose nonetheless.

Actually, if any of you have the time, I highly recommend this article, called "The Nerd Handbook":

http://www.randsinrepose.com/archives/2007/11/11/the_nerd_handbook.html

My OCD tends to follow the premise of this article with stunning accuracy. Even if you're not a "nerd" or "geek" per se, I think almost all of us here on the forums would find some very intriguing insight as to why we do, what we do. It's definitely worth the read.

• Brohoof 1

I chew on things. Usually it's either the tips of my glasses or my ring.

I started using JonTron's various psychotic voices in normal conversation.

I found a Bionicle whilst cleaning out my room today, and promptly hanged him.

Posted Image

A lot of times after I say something, I usually go "Huh" or "Hm".

I also noticed that I have a tendency to write my full name on things...

This is my dream topic. :lol:

- When walking down the sidewalk or places with tiles/lines on the ground, the arch of my foot MUST be on the line/crack.

- When I turn my iPhone's screen off, it MUST be on the first page of the home screen. If it isn't, I will wake my phone up and navigate to the home screen.

- If I crack one knuckle (even on accident), I must crack every other crack-able knuckle in my body.

- Papers on a desk must be parallel to each other, look neat, and not one page can be a smidge out of place.

- Folding a page is akin to assaulting the book, so if I see someone else folding a page I will reach over and unfold it and do my best to uncrease it.

- Doors must be completely open or completely shut.

- My favorite: in my head, every line, dash, triangle, etc. on a track creates a line coming out of the corner. I am not allowed to step on these imaginary lines. Makes running a lot more fun and challenging.

Though I am normally very disorganized I feel compelled to organize my bookcases (I have an almost absurd number of books in my house) by genre, subgenre,author, and then title.

I eat in a circle. I eat each different food on my plate at a time without even thinking about the others, and I do this in the order the food is arranged on my plate, starting with the vegetable.

I constantly avoid stepping on sidewalk cracks for no reason whatsoever.

I randomly snap my fingers.

Edited by MelancholicMemory

I don't walk on the cracks between tiles on the floor(glad to see I'm not the only one doing something similar to this)

I have to keep things I'm doing organized.

I hate to leave something unfinished. If I have to, I have to wake up early to get it done.

I have to move every five seconds. I count it in my head and then I move. That's probably a big factor in why I don't sleep XD

I have to sleep in my bathtub or on the floor.

When I speak a sentence, it is repeated under my breath or in a low mumble right after I say it. I don't know why I do this, but a lot of people find it quite annoying.

The shower curtain must always be on the outside of the tub. I don't care if it makes a huge watery mess on the floor, I cannot be comfortable with it lining the inside.

I tend to swallow at random times, obnoxiously loud at most.

Very often I keep poking every square inch of the inside of my mouth with my tongue.

If I move a part of my body in one direction, then I have the urge to move in the opposite direction just to balance it out.

And sometimes when I'm laying in bed, I get the feeling that I'm falling from a great height.

When I'm itchy, I will scratch both the itchy spot and the mirrored side (if my left palm is itchy, I would also scratch my right palm, things like that)

<and now I'm terribly itchy, arghhh>

I have this tendency to speak with myself. When I'm talking with other, I often found my mouth replying to myself. This has earned me more than enough share of funny looks from my friends. I hate my mouth :x