MrAwesomeness

This has been bothering me for a while, you see, my friend has seen season 1 and 2, and claims to be a brony, although he never watches it at all anymore :/ he hasn't seen one episode of season 3, or rewatched any episodes. even though he has had plenty of time to do so. Is he still a brony? I keep telling myself he is, but he never wants to watch it anymore. The deffinition of brony is one who enjoys watching mlp right? So is he still a brony? Sorry if this is a stupid question or anything like that. This has just been bugging me for a while.

Edited by MrAwesomeness

He is a brony if he calls himself a brony.

He doesn't have to have seen any of season 3 yet in order to still retain his brony "title."

It's not even a big deal. He can watch the show on his own time. He probably has better things to do, or at least things that are better for him in his mind.

Don't worry about it. Your friend likes what he likes. His interest in MLP just isn't as big as yours.

• Brohoof 1

I would say yes. Also, why do you care if he likes the show or not? And how do you know if he has time to watch season 3? (I've only gotten around to watching the first 2 episodes, after I kept getting harassed on a different forum to do so.)

Those are just some things I'm wondering.

Also you don't need to continuesly rewatch episodes to be a brony...

I think I covered everything (failed to put it together in a nice smooth paragraph) but yeah...

I agree with Rarity. There really is no checklist you must complete to be a Brony, BUT I will say, it could be maybe he has lost interest and doesn't know how to tell you out of fear you won't understand.

Best thing to do here is respect his choice in watching or not watching. You just keep on doing what you do, invite him to watch if he wants, but don't make it seem likes your friendship hangs in the balance. Friends should be able to be themselves, even if we lose a part of them.

But worry not.....he may just need a break. Some ponies get lazy. ;)

• Brohoof 2

He is a brony if he calls himself a brony.

He doesn't have to have seen any of season 3 yet in order to still retain his brony "title."

It's not even a big deal. He can watch the show on his own time. He probably has better things to do, or at least things that are better for him in his mind.

Don't worry about it. Your friend likes what he likes. His interest in MLP just isn't as big as yours.

That seems like the perfect answer, except for one thing. Your first statement about how I'd he calls himself a brony, he is a brony. Are you saying that pretty much anyone that hears the word could call themselves a brony without even knowing anything about the show? Like if they just wanted attention or something? Thanks

I would say yes. Also, why do you care if he likes the show or not? And how do you know if he has time to watch season 3? (I've only gotten around to watching the first 2 episodes, after I kept getting harassed on a different forum to do so.)

Those are just some things I'm wondering.

Also you don't need to continuesly rewatch episodes to be a brony...

I think I covered everything (failed to put it together in a nice smooth paragraph) but yeah...

I care because if he doesn't like ponies, than I don't want to annoy him by talking about them a ton. An I know he's had plenty of time because me and him are close friends. He's currently playing mincecraft, and has been playing Dota 2 a ton today :P

I agree with Rarity. There really is no checklist you must complete to be a Brony, BUT I will say, it could be maybe he has lost interest and doesn't know how to tell you out of fear you won't understand.

Best thing to do here is respect his choice in watching or not watching. You just keep on doing what you do, invite him to watch if he wants, but don't make it seem likes your friendship hangs in the balance. Friends should be able to be themselves, even if we lose a part of them.

But worry not.....he may just need a break. Some ponies get lazy. ;)

Never thought it could be out of fear... Huh.

Yeah I will respect his choice. It's just plain annoying when people don't :P

Thank you all for your replies! It really does help. :)

Man it takes a while to type out all this on an iPhone. :3

Well, I haven't seen the show for a few months now (I'm only on episode 8 of Season 2, but I'll watch the rest soon), but I'm still active in the fandom (mainly through the forums and Reddit). I still consider myself a brony, so yes, your friend is still a brony. Really, a brony is anyone who likes the show and/or it's fandom. Some people are bronies that don't like the show that much, or so I read on a survey.

Bottom line, your friend is still a brony.

Really glad we could all help with yer problem! Just remember not to worry. Keep doing what you do until he says otherwise and don't forget to talk about new things HE enjoys too! *Brohoof from one pony sister to pony brother* ;)

That seems like the perfect answer, except for one thing. Your first statement about how I'd he calls himself a brony, he is a brony. Are you saying that pretty much anyone that hears the word could call themselves a brony without even knowing anything about the show? Like if they just wanted attention or something? Thanks

Well no, lol. But why would you even call yourself a brony if you have never even seen the show? I think that would make you a liar. It would be like me saying that I am a fan of Doctor Who even though I have never seen the show. (inb4YOUHAVETOWATCHIT)

My point is that there aren't greater or lesser fans out there. If someone has seen MLP and likes it, and he wants to call himself a brony, then he may.

Well sure he's still a brony. Far be it from us to set arbitrary limits or definitions as to who is or isn't a brony. I only rewatch episodes from time to time myself although I eagerly devour new ones. I'm not obsessed with Derpy or any background character really, I haven't produced any fan art, music or fiction. I haven't gone to conventions or anything. I lack many common characteristics of a brony. I just think it's dangerous territory to try to judge who is a bigger fan of the show, or to decide what constitutes a brony. Sounds like asking for trouble to me.

• Brohoof 1

• 8 years later...
8 hours ago, Paleopony said:

He's still a brony, even if he only watched the first two seasons.

Yeah..that is quite true...sad ....but true..... Just by touching anything pony related you are considered a brony.. this community is very accepting.....

Like the villains? Brony 

Only read or watched fan made content and not one single mlp.... Brony:laugh:

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2012-11-26 at 6:04 AM, MrAwesomeness said:

Is he still a brony?

If he says he is a Brony, he is a Brony :fluttershy:

That's what is great about this fandom. You are allowed to be a Brony if you wish, on your own conditions!