Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

mega thread Everypony's Religion And Why?

Ezynell

What is your religion?  

65 users have voted

1. 1. What is your religion?

• Catholic
    • Orthodox
    • Protestant
    • Lutheran
    • Anglican
    • Methodist
    • Baptists
    • Unitarian/ Universalist
    • Christian (other, or general)
    • Islam
    • Hindu
    • Buddhist
    • Agnostic
    • Atheist
    • Satanist
    • Reform
    • Judaism (other, or general)
    • Equestreism (or don't care)
    • Electic Pagan (added at request)
    • Wicca (added at request)
    • Jehovah's Witness (added at request)
    • Spiritual (added at request)
    • Other (quote the OP and I'll try to add it ASAP)

Nopony is. That's why we're here! What would life be but a waiting room for eternity without experience? Our imperfections lead us to improve ourselves and our world!

well said....very well said

with that said when I responded to your post originally I accidentally hit report and posted my comments there

how's that for imperfection!

Agnostic myself

I'm not objecting to the idea of a higher being, however i am not sure if one does exist.

Raised as a christian, but i guess i turned away from it because i didnt want to turn into my parents.

I'm agnostic.

I used to have such a negative outlook on religion, mainly because my grandparents used to cram the bible down my throat. I hated it. I saw religion as the #1 cause of all the world's problems. I tried to convince other people to think the way I do and I actually succeeded a couple of times.

As I got older, I realized just how stupid and ignorant I was being. I suppose I have my mother to thank for helping me open my eyes.

I believe everybody needs a voice to follow. I guess it gives them a sense of safety and security, because they have morals and certain things they abide by. Morals and certain things that will be rewarded if they follow them before passing away.

While I may not believe in any specific god(s), I believe in being a good person in general. Being kind, respectful, generous, trustworthy. I can't always be like that, because I am not perfect, just like everybody else.

As for atheists, I've had bad experiences with them, because most of the ones I knew personally were complete jerks, but I know that they're not all bad. I do not see them as the scum of the earth. I see them as equals, as we all should.

......and now it's back to watching The Kootra Testing Initiative c:

You sir, are speaking my language! I'm sorry about your grandparents. If you've played Fable II you'll recall a character named Hammer. If not, she was a monk who renounced her vows of pacifism to join you're quest to save the world. She regains a new perspective on the Powers that Be over the course of the game, but never returns to the Temple. In regards to the texts of her former following she says "If you swallow it all . . . it can get you killed." The same can be said of the Bible. It cannot be viewed as the Alpha and Omega itself. The Bible is a historical document with some good life lessons. Whether you call Him God or not, there's no denying Jesus of Nazareth was a wise and kind teacher and a good man. Religion serves the dual purpose of set made guides to ethical behavior and self-actualization. Others don't want the pre-made package and want to make their own. Okie dokie lokie! As a good Shepherd once said with his dying breath on a little moon. "I don't care what you believe in. Just believe it!"

well said....very well said

with that said when I responded to your post originally I accidentally hit report and posted my comments there

how's that for imperfection!

It's cool man. :)

(edited)

You sir, are speaking my language! I'm sorry about your grandparents.

Oh, heh.. I probably should have brought this up in my original post. They don't cram religion down anybody's throats anymore. They've changed a lot throughout the years, perhaps around the same time I changed my views on religion. While they are still very religious, they accept others' beliefs, just like mine.

When you brought uf the Jesus of Nazareth thing, I found myself nodding and smiling. You're completely right! He was a good teacher.

Edited by Autumn Skies

Oh, heh.. I probably should have brought this up in my original post. They don't cram religion down anybody's throats anymore. They've changed a lot throughout the years, perhaps around the same time I changed my views on religion. While they are still very religious, they accept others' beliefs, just like mine.

When you brought uf the Jesus of Nazareth thing, I found myself nodding and smiling. You're completely right! He was a good teacher.

Oh sorry. I don't mean to speak ill of others when it's not deserved. I knew someone like that awhile back. She was a nice girl, but SO narrow minded in her views on what was permissible or "okay". She not only thought you HAD to be Christian to get into Heaven; but if you were gay you COULDN'T! (I'm not gay, but the sentiment seemed rather harsh. Why punish somepony for something so insignificant in the grand scheme of things?)

*sigh*

You missed my point, LRP. Radical atheists like Josef Stalin and Dahmer are entirely dangerous, yes. BUT, as a belief, atheism DOES NOT command you to kill "infidels" because there is no official guide to atheism! It's simply a lack of beliefs. Thus, an atheism isn't obliged to, say, stop a woman from exposing her hair to the public.

No no no, because the Inquisitor's actions were commanded and engineered by their Holy Book, but Josef Stalin's personal beliefs were that theists were the scum of society.

Actually both can be just as easy to spin to your favor. You can launch a Holy War or a Religious clensing War in the same manner. Where a religious man may claim he is a servant of God and do evil, an atheist can feel with no God there is no consequence to being evil or try to become a god among men.

I wasn't going after agnostics who are willing to see even a Diest styled god. I mean atheists who are completely convinced there is no greater power. Even the most religious have their doubts at times but to say there is no incarnatin of a higher power seems to me just small minded. Maybe us Catholics are wrong, maybe God was just a clockmaker who now just watches from afar but that still says there's an afterlife of some sort and a higher power.

• Brohoof 3

Actually both can be just as easy to spin to your favor. You can launch a Holy War or a Religious clensing War in the same manner. Where a religious man may claim he is a servant of God and do evil, an atheist can feel with no God there is no consequence to being evil or try to become a god among men.

I wasn't going after agnostics who are willing to see even a Diest styled god. I mean atheists who are completely convinced there is no greater power. Even the most religious have their doubts at times but to say there is no incarnatin of a higher power seems to me just small minded. Maybe us Catholics are wrong, maybe God was just a clockmaker who now just watches from afar but that still says there's an afterlife of some sort and a higher power.

I'm a Catholic and I sometimes feel like God is a clock maker, but one who can still get out his tool kit if one of the screws is loose. If God didn't create the universe to follow certain physical laws, planet Earth wouldn't exist, the conditions for life would come and go in the tenth of a millisecond, it would be pure pandemonium! (Discord would be laughing his head!) I feel like God made this Universe FOR us! It's for us to research, to discover, to explore!
  • Brohoof 1

I'm a Catholic and I sometimes feel like God is a clock maker, but one who can still get out his tool kit if one of the screws is loose. If God didn't create the universe to follow certain physical laws, planet Earth wouldn't exist, the conditions for life would come and go in the tenth of a millisecond, it would be pure pandemonium! (Discord would be laughing his head!) I feel like God made this Universe FOR us! It's for us to research, to discover, to explore!

And to find what else he created for us to find and interact with.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

As for atheists, I've had bad experiences with them, because most of the ones I knew personally were complete jerks, but I know that they're not all bad. I do not see them as the scum of the earth. I see them as equals, as we all should.

You're a atheist too, you don't believe in a god, you don't know it for certain, so you are a agnostic atheist (me too)

I guys a tip for you is to look on wikipedia what all the terms: theist,atheist,agnostic,anti-theist mean

I am a agnositc atheist and a anti-theist, i think you're the same execpt the anti-theist part

Edited by Gozutennou

Well, atheist doens't mean that that you say that: '' you know for certain that a god exists''

those people are gnostic atheist, (not me)

Most atheists are in fact agnostic ! (and vice-versa) they think that no god exist, but they dont have proof for it

You won't meet many, if any, atheists that think that there isn't any chance of there being a higher power.

it's just that we believe that the chances are so insubstantial that we don't think much of it. To us, the claim of there being a higher power has no more merit than any other supernatural claim. There's just no reason to think that higher power actually exists.

• Brohoof 2

You won't meet many, if any, atheists that think that there isn't any chance of there being a higher power.

it's just that we believe that the chances are so insubstantial that we don't think much of it. To us, the claim of there being a higher power has no more merit than any other supernatural claim. There's just no reason to think that higher power actually exists.

Yes, you will. Which is a shame, it's very close minded to think that way.

You're a atheist too, you don't believe in a god, you don't know it for certain, so you are a agnostic atheist (me too)

I guys a tip for you is to look on wikipedia what all the terms: theist,atheist,agnostic,anti-theist mean

I am a agnositc atheist and a anti-theist, i think you're the same execpt the anti-theist part

While you make good points, I don't think you're correct. I don't believe in any specific god, but I do believe there's some sort of higher power out there, dead or alive.

While you make good points, I don't think you're correct. I don't believe in any specific god, but I do believe there's some sort of higher power out there, dead or alive.

What do you mean with a higher power, a god ? aliens ?

What do you mean with a higher power, a god ? aliens ?

I don't have an answer for that one. I just believe that there's some sort of higher power out there. Could be a god, could be aliens.

I don't have an answer for that one. I just believe that there's some sort of higher power out there. Could be a god, could be aliens.

kk, you're just deist, like the most founding fathers. or a agnostic theist. :-)

Yes, you will. Which is a shame, it's very close minded to think that way.

That way of thinking is not how we approach learning the world. We can't add things to our list of fun things we know about the universe only on the ground that it might be true. Being openminded is not about taking things to be true because you don't know better, but what's really open-minded is being able to change your views to better fit the world. Is there a reason to believe in a 'higher power'? Well then, surprise me with something juicy!

• Brohoof 1

There is a good quote that i heard from somene, i think it was Richard Dawkins. it goes like this....

''Be openminded, but not so openminded that you're brains fall out your skull''

:-)

• Brohoof 3

There is a good quote that i heard from somene, i think it was Richard Dawkins. it goes like this....

''Be openminded, but not so openminded that you're brains fall out your skull''

:-)

Words to live by!

Well, according to you two...it's impossible to for atheism to cause harm, and it's impossible to do something in the name of atheism.

As cute as that may be as a form of atheistic apologetics, it's little more than an attempt to whitewash atheists on all they may have done wrong due to their ideology.

History says otherwise. So unless you can rewrite history, then you cannot logically deny actions taken in the name of atheism.

*sigh*

You're not getting this, at all. Debating with you is like trying to argue with a brick wall.

-Atheism has no morals

-Atheism has no guidelines

-Atheism has no boundaries

-There is no official atheist way of thinking.

So in that sense, one cannot kill in the name of atheism, because you'd only be killing in the name of something that doesn't exist. Rather, they'd kill in their own view of the world.

Saying religion is slime is not atheism. It is a personal belief. Nowhere in the atheist Holy Book does it say that we should harm the religious, because there is no atheist Holy Book, or any book at all. Atheism is too lax to allow any official way of practicing it. But one could use religion was a weapon because there are quotes and sayings in religious Holy Books that promote violence.

• Brohoof 2

*sigh*

You're not getting this, at all. Debating with you is like trying to argue with a brick wall.

-Atheism has no morals

-Atheism has no guidelines

-Atheism has no boundaries

-There is no official atheist way of thinking.

So in that sense, one cannot kill in the name of atheism, because you'd only be killing in the name of something that doesn't exist. Rather, they'd kill in their own view of the world.

Saying religion is slime is not atheism. It is a personal belief. Nowhere in the atheist Holy Book does it say that we should harm the religious, because there is no atheist Holy Book, or any book at all. Atheism is too lax to allow any official way of practicing it. But one could use religion was a weapon because there are quotes and sayings in religious Holy Books that promote violence.

Using religion as a weapon does not present an inherent problem in religion, but rather in humans. Violence will be present with or without religion, and virtually anything can go under killing in the name of _____.
  • Brohoof 2

Using religion as a weapon does not present an inherent problem in religion, but rather in humans. Violence will be present with or without religion, and virtually anything can go under killing in the name of _____.

I'm pretty sure he didn't say it presents an inherent problem in religion, I just think he's making the point that people can kill in the name of religion.