Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Equestrian religion?

I_wesley125

Isn't it obvious? Their religion is Pinkie Pie. Reference Feeling Pinkie Keen.

And if you don't believe that, then they probably don't consider themselves to have an actual religion. See, they have two godlike beings that control the Sun and Moon that they can SEE all the time. So they don't need to BELIEVE in them, because they know for a fact that they exist. So technically, it isn't a religion.

Edited by SBaby

So what kind of religion do they have in Equestria?

I like to think they are scientific and not religious.

scientific??? you kidding me??? MAGIC!!! they have freaking MAGIC! how's that scientific? how you like dem apples?

scientific??? you kidding me??? MAGIC!!! they have freaking MAGIC! how's that scientific? how you like dem apples?

Well, if magic existed in our universe we would mix it with science.

Im sure they do the same.

• Brohoof 1

They have some sense of religion, but not like that of our own. They likely believe in an afterlife of some sort.

I remember seeing what appeared to be a cross in the backround during one of the shots of Ponyville but I doubt they are Christian unless they adopted the religion like other human related mannerisms and architecture.

I have mixed views on their view of Celestia and Luna, some probably see them as goddesses but others may just worship them in the sense of them being their great monarchs. History proves that powerful leaders can become reveared like gods so that may be a part of it.

You know, I'm not sure if ponies are more peaceful than humans, or if it's just me, but I kind of have a hard time imagining ponies being so cruel as to use a cross. I mean, before it was a religious symbol, it was, you know, something else that I think is kind of unmentionable here... And it had to be that before it became a religious symbol.

Of course, within mainstream Christianity, the idea of ponies instead of humans raises all kinds of questions, lol.

Interestingly enough, though, the particular denomination of Christianity I believe actually has official doctrine on how things work for non-human intelligent beings :P So, if there are ponies in space somewhere, they're covered, lol.

What is science other than magic? I mean, F = ma, F = (Gm1m2)/(d^2), what we call science is how the natural world acts. If magic existed, we wouldn't even be able to tell, because it would just blend in with natural physical laws. It would just be another natural law.

Except, granted, there is some difference. Natural laws as we know them apply everywhere, always. Magic, on the other hand, has a lot of arbitrary things. Like, for example, Twilight had a spell to let them stand on clouds. What, exactly, is a cloud? Does fog count? Why or why not? What if a cloud is halfway on a mountain, so it's fog, AND a cloud? What if I boil some water and steam comes up, can I jump up on the steam? What if I breathe the steam? Can I choke on it? What if I use that spell, then fly a plane through a cloud? See what I mean?

Perfect consistancy is why magic can't exist... The universe is always perfectly consistent. There is one set reality. That's the beauty of it, really.

They worship Pagan Egyptian deities of course

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=I7K2VHfSJrw

SO. MUCH. WIN! Every reference I've seen so far I thought I was the only one who would get it! *clears throat* Anyway. Celestia is very much like Ra, with domain over the sun. Celestia also fits nicely into the role of Pharaoh, as she is both the political head of state and figure of worship for her people.

Still the way you worded it, it sounds like somepony can only be one or the other. Rather than having a healthy balance of faith and rationale.

SO. MUCH. WIN! Every reference I've seen so far I thought I was the only one who would get it! *clears throat* Anyway. Celestia is very much like Ra, with domain over the sun. Celestia also fits nicely into the role of Pharaoh, as she is both the political head of state and figure of worship for her people.

Still the way you worded it, it sounds like somepony can only be one or the other. Rather than having a healthy balance of faith and rationale.

In my opinion, faith is a bad thing, you may have faith that something is true but you should try to proov it scientificly.

Magic has been prooven in Equestria.

I haven't really seen any indication of religion but that isn't to say that there isn't one.

I don't believe that ponies worship Celestia/Luna, its like Great Britain and the queen. We don't see her as a god.

They may be Pastafarian?

The closest thing to religion Equestria has is the Diarchy between Celestia and Luna (though Luna is rarely reviered as a ruler, I would consider her part of a diarch), seeing as both are much older than the other ponies and rarely age (almost implying they're everlasting.) On the other hand Celestia interacts with the otherponies on a very personal level (well, very personal for a Princess).

So, I don't see why there would be any religion. :unsure:

Hey! Jesus and the Buddha (and probably others) interacted with people as teachers. Celestia is doing the exact same thing. (Directly in Twilight's case. Disciple IS a more formal term for student, after all.)

In my opinion, faith is a bad thing, you may have faith that something is true but you should try to proov it scientificly.

I can respect that. (Even if I disagree with it.) Still religion as codes and philosophy are good things. Any bad that's done in the name of a religion is an obvious perversion of it's teachings done by man and not the wish of whatever deity is venerated. i.e. God sure as Hell didn't want the Spanish Inquisition but it happened under His son's Cross. Celestia doesn't have to be a moral guardian, her responsibility ends at raising the sun and keeping the borders safe, but she tries to foster kinship between her subjects. Promoting friendship as a philosophy.

It's Celestian ;D ~

How about Celestianity? :lol:

I really love the idea of a god ruling over a country in person. I mean that would be perfect, like Equestria (except when another god comes, of course)

Now, while I think it's clear ponies don't worship Celestia, I'd say thats just because thats not something she would want, you know. She does seem to like being around normal ponies and being treated as an equal. People worship gods because supposedly they were told to do so. Celestia didn't, so they don't worship her, though they still honour her as their perfect leader,

Funny you should mention that. According to the Book of Revelations, after the Apocalypse and the Battle of Armageddon where evil is finally defeated, God will rule ON Earth and all will be good. If Celestia is metaphorically God, than Equestria just might resemble what Earth will be like! Equestria is now CANON, IN REAL LIFE! B)

I can respect that. (Even if I disagree with it.) Still religion as codes and philosophy are good things. Any bad that's done in the name of a religion is an obvious perversion of it's teachings done by man and not the wish of whatever deity is venerated. i.e. God sure as Hell didn't want the Spanish Inquisition but it happened under His son's Cross. Celestia doesn't have to be a moral guardian, her responsibility ends at raising the sun and keeping the borders safe, but she tries to foster kinship between her subjects. Promoting friendship as a philosophy.

Islam does explicitly say that they should kill "infidels".

Islam does explicitly say that they should kill "infidels".

That it does. Which is why I agree with my Dad in saying the religion's leaders should have their own modern version of the Council of Nicaea and decide what of the Prophet Muhammad's teachings are truly moral enough to follow. My muslim friend, who was born and raised in Pennsylvania like me, said something to the effect that the greatest jihad is simply living well. I don't see anything wrong with that. :)

You are right about one thing. BLIND faith is a very bad thing! Growing up, the Priest's and my family actually encouraged me to question my faith, to keep my beliefs honest and consistent with what was right instead of just being an iron doctrine.

Creation vs. Evolution? I say BOTH are true. God created the Earth in just the right astronomical conditions to support life. (distance from the sun, water to support carbon based organisms, magnetic field to shield us from radiation etc.) Adam and Eve's banishment from Eden could have just been a metaphor for humanity's evolution to intelligent thought. (The Tree of Knowledge much?) With knowledge enough to make tools and such also comes a concept of morality, of good AND evil. We evolved from the innocence of instinct into the light and harshness of sentience.

The Laws of Physics? God's rule book of how reality works! We don't invent them, we're discovering what's already there! All of reality is like a giant puzzle that God/Allah/The Force/The Flying Spheghettis Monster/ whatever you wanna call it gave us to solve. If reality were truly random, it would be like Discord's rule, we wouldn't be able to make a mathematical system that could decipher it.

Science and Religion. I pity those that restrict themselves to either, the world is so much more wonderful when you can see through heaven's eyes with a microscope! :lol:

"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind." ~Albert Einstein

My idea is that Celestia and Luna are venerated as goddesses. See Rainbow's "In the name of Celstia." and Rarity's "with Celestia as my witness" three guesses what "Celestia" is standing in for in those quotes. Her subjects kneel before her, maybe I'm not wise in the ways of royal conduct, but I always thought it was a bow at most. Deities ruling a country? The concept is an interesting one as it is often negative, but not so in this case obviously. Ancient gods were used to explain how the world works, but the ponies already control much of it on their own and as Twilight has shown, have dedicated a good amount of scientific study as to HOW they do this.

Celestia, in my mind, is venerated as a goddess for the same reason one should a deity. Not because she moves a giant ball of hot gas in the sky, but because of her teachings. I posted this in another thread.

Indirect action, in my opinion, is where Celestia's character shines. (Laugh at the pun if you must. I'll wait.) Celestia's will doesn't need magic to be evident and real. She has so much experience and wisdom that she knows how and what to say or do at the right time to get the result she wants. In the pilot, when Nightmare Moon's return was nigh, Celestia sends Twilight off seemingly unconcerned about her student's warning. When all is revealed however, it turns out Twilight's assigned task of making friends was actually purposeful instruction instead of off hoof advice. You wanna really think about it, Celestia might have recognized Twilight as the Element of Magic from her first day and took her as an apprentice purposefully to free Luna. (Though, comparatively, that's cutting it pretty close to the wire if she didn't already have contingency plan.) Then there is sending Twilight back her Friendship reports when Discord had pretty much won. Celestia gave Twilight the resolve to save the world not by direct words of wisdom but just by reminding her student what was important to her on a personal level. Considering that much of the world is directly effected and controlled by the "mortal" ponies already, Celestia's intangible influence in starting, reacting to, and changing events makes her a better metaphor for God than raising the sun does.

If God, does effect the world in a story, a better way to tell that story is by having Him do it through people! If Celestia just waved her horn to solve every problem at hand, it would damage not only her as a character, but the quality of the show! In past generations of MLP and similar shows, the world is so simplistic and the characters so devoid of negative emotion that conflict is nearly non-existent. The Princess could very well invoke such a reality! She could scorch away the Everfree Forest, and remove failings from everypony's mind, yet she chooses not to. To create such a world, would make her just as bad as Discord, just by imposing absolute order as opposed to absolute chaos. No conflict, no resolution, no advancement. Complete saccharine stagnation! Celestia (like God) understands that people/ponies aren't perfect. That bad comes of free will, but if you are forced into doing good, the action looses it's meaning.

Celestia knows mortals are good at heart, they just need to find their way. As one who's been around long enough to know every roadblock and how to overcome it, she's more than willing to nudge her subjects in the right direction.

Edited by Steelquill

• 2 weeks later...

I believe the ponies live under a theocratic monarchy, like with the Japanese emperors and Egyptian Pharaohs of old. I believe Celestia and Luna are the pony goddesses - expressions like "By Celestia!" can be found in the series in place of "By the Gods/OMG" and there is a statue of Nightmare Moon (Luna) which the ponies make offerings to in the Luna Eclipsed episode.

I don't think that Celestia is placed on a pedestal as much as we humans did to god-kings in the past because of her style of rule and the fact that she shows herself at social functions - but she is still given the respect due to a monarch. Luna on the other hand, because of her past deeds and her absence for the past 1000 years, may be feared as a demoness or a malevolent mythological figure (like something out of a traditional ghost story).

• Brohoof 1

If we want to go really far out with this (which, clearly, we do!) in many schools of Buddhism there are different realms, and types of realms. There are god's realms, where things are awesome and peaceful and not wholly bound by scientific principles (say, ponies control the weather...). The 'mortals' get to interact and chill with godly being (devas) who, although they are not strictly gods, they are very powerful and distinct from the mortals otherwise in the realm.

The mortals within the realm aren't concerned with religion or worship because things are so perfect, they don't feel the need to think about religion. Beings are reborn here because of very good karma (clearly these ponies have excellent karma!) but the flaw is that they don't focus on enlightenment, and they use up that good karma and eventually fall back into lower realms. It would even follow Buddhist philosophy that beings within the 'perfect' realm would be vegetarian! ;)

Clearly Equestria is a god's realm, Celestia and Luna are devas, and the ponies are the mortal beings! :P

Edited by Sugar_Rush
  • Brohoof 2

It's true, I've always imagined Princess Celestria being the top pony in Equestria (aka God). Unless there's a Queen Celestria lurking somewhere with powers untold in legends.

I really wouldn't want to consider Luna as being the devil~ish, but she does match the darkness and spreads fear, even unwillingly.

If we want to go really far out with this (which, clearly, we do!) in many schools of Buddhism there are different realms, and types of realms. There are god's realms, where things are awesome and peaceful and not wholly bound by scientific principles (say, ponies control the weather...). The 'mortals' get to interact and chill with godly being (devas) who, although they are not strictly gods, they are very powerful and distinct from the mortals otherwise in the realm.

The mortals within the realm aren't concerned with religion or worship because things are so perfect, they don't feel the need to think about religion. Beings are reborn here because of very good karma (clearly these ponies have excellent karma!) but the flaw is that they don't focus on enlightenment, and they use up that good karma and eventually fall back into lower realms. It would even follow Buddhist philosophy that beings within the 'perfect' realm would be vegetarian! ;)

Clearly Equestria is a god's realm, Celestia and Luna are devas, and the ponies are the mortal beings! :P

Holy . . . well yeah HOLY! That makes perfect sense! hehehehe Buddhist ponies, never heard THAT one before. ^_^

It's true, I've always imagined Princess Celestria being the top pony in Equestria (aka God). Unless there's a Queen Celestria lurking somewhere with powers untold in legends.

I really wouldn't want to consider Luna as being the devil~ish, but she does match the darkness and spreads fear, even unwillingly.

Luna is actually a pretty good example of the classical deities we associate with things that are bad, but aren't bad themselves. Take Hades for instance. Out of most of the Greek Pantheon, he was the most reasonable and decent of them, especially when compared to his brothers Poseidon and Zeus. Poseidon could be your best friend or punish you for most of your life as he did with Odysseus. Zeus, well do I need to say more? You so much as look at his statue the wrong way and he smites on the spot! Or worse, comes up with a sadistically elaborate and eternal punishment! Hades was a bit of standoffish jerk, but he did allow Hercules to take Cerberus for one of his trials, and allowed Orpheus to attempt to save his wife Eurydice after some prodding from Persephone. Speaking of whom, there are some interpretations of the legend that her marriage to him wasn't entirely unwilling.

Luna's bad reception to modern ponies very much reflects how our own media treats Hades and the like. They're domains are things that we fear, (darkness, death, winter, etc.) so we lump them in the "evil" category. Luna had to show them that her night was not something to fear. (Admittedly, the choice to make her royal debut on Nightmare Night was probably not the wisest decision, but it all worked out.)

Equestria doesn't really have a "devil" figure in the styling of Christian tradition. (Strangely though, Tirec of the G1 movie resembled the Devil proper almost to a T.) However, going along the Classical Greek line of thinking, Discord very much resembles the Titans. Before the gods rose to power, the Titans ruled the Earth in a constant state of pandemonium. Order and Civilization as we understand it only took hold when the gods beat and imprisoned them for all eternity. Sound familiar?

Celestia is God? Yay! Wait......What if Celestia's mother.....is God?

When did the Princess become the God? Or even a princess? I'm confused :I

Celestia isn't explicitly referred to as God but she displays the traits of a classical western goddess. She's immortal as far as we can tell, she's larger and more visually impressive than her subjects, and she raises the sun each morning. Similar to Apollo's job. Truly her status of actual worship largely stems from many ponies invoking Celestia's name in lieu of a prayer.

Rarity: With Celestia as my witness . . .

Rainbow Dash: In the name of Celestia!

So it could be assumed that the ponies view her as divine.

Edited by Steelquill

As has been said before, its a kids show, and they want to appeal to the widest kid's audience possible. For that reason war, pain death, anquish are all off screen...as is religion. The quickest way to loose a segment of your audience, is to bring in religion and politics,

Ponies are mere alegory for humans. they are us.

Celestia is the wise mother figure who nurtures and guides her little ponies.

Luna can figure into a lot of categories, but I like to believe she is the second chance offered to everyone who done bad...and she's loved for it.

The Princesses are all we will ever see of divisive Equestian politics, hidden behind a wise, benevolent dictatorship/monarchy.

Remember: The Unicorns handled the movement of the sun and moon before Celestia/Luna...That alone does not make the sister's dieties.

Weather control belongs to the pegasus race, so you can kiss off dieties of the sky.

Thus with so much unpleasantness happening off screen, Equestria comes off as a sort of Utopia. Making friends is easy. All problems are small and resolved under 30 minutes. Every story has a happy ending. Your leaders are always right.

With such a pleasant place, everyone wants to color Equestria to fit their idea of utopia. Its conservative, it's liberal, all the ponies believe or not as I believe.

That said,

As speculation seems to be in the spirit of this thread, I would draw a religious conclusion thusly:

Equestria is heaven. Perfect, Utopian, designed so life is always refreshing and exciting/never boring. Monsters threaten, but are always vanquished before they hurt anyone. no wars. Learning experiences abound. Frienship is magic.

The afterlife is eternally rewarding

Edited by Silverhoof
  • Brohoof 4

As has been said before, its a kids show, and they want to appeal to the widest kid's audience possible. For that reason war, pain death, anquish are all off screen...as is religion. The quickest way to loose a segment of your audience, is to bring in religion and politics,

Luna can figure into a lot of categories, but I like to believe she is the second chance offered to everyone who done bad...and she's loved for it.

The Princesses are all we will ever see of divisive Equestian politics, hidden behind a wise, benevolent dictatorship/monarchy.

Remember: The Unicorns handled the movement of the sun and moon before Celestia/Luna...That alone does not make the sister's dieties.

Weather control belongs to the pegasus race, so you can kiss off dieties of the sky.

Thus with so much unpleasantness happening off screen, Equestria comes off as a sort of Utopia. Making friends is easy. All problems are small and resolved under 30 minutes. Every story has a happy ending. Your leaders are always right.

With such a pleasant place, everyone wants to color Equestria to fit their idea of utopia. Its conservative, it's liberal, all the ponies believe or not as I believe.

That said,

As speculation seems to be in the spirit of this thread, I would draw a religious conclusion thusly:

Equestria is heaven. Perfect, Utopian, designed so life is always refreshing and exciting/never boring. Monsters threaten, but are always vanquished before they hurt anyone. no wars. Learning experiences abound. Frienship is magic.

Nice interpretation. Though it irks my spelling nazi instincts.

That said,

You're right, none of that will be addressed in the show and I wouldn't want it to. This is just us bronies interpreting from what we've seen. I certainly agree with you in that last part! :) Honestly, if Equestria ISN'T heaven when I get there, it's at least one of the steps of Limbo or one of Heaven's outer spheres. (Those of you who've read the Divine Comedy know what I'm talking about.)

Nice interpretation. Though it irks my spelling nazi instincts.

Resist! Resist the Dark side of micro managing! :lol:

Manichaeism, obviously.

Seriously speaking, their concept of religion is probably quite different from ours. What we might consider "supernatural" or divine intervention is quite a common occurrence for them; after all, their princesses control the cycles of the moon and son. From our perspective, it would be a pagan religion with an emphasis on embodied deities which control the whole of nature quite directly. Canterlot is perhaps the equivalent to an Olympus or St. Thomas Aquinas' concept of the City on a Hill (lol bob page); quite literally it is fixed on a mountain overlooking the entirety of Equestria. Much like in a classical tale, when things go awry, the gods (i.e., Celestia) descend from the mountain to restore order.

The Manichean reference being mostly a joke, there are some gnostic tendencies toward suspicion of the natural world. For example, the Everfree Forest is considered dangerous because it is not completely mastered by the ponies; it works according the rules which we generally consider to be the state of the natural world. As such, it is often a location which the ponies wish to avoid. The writers undoubtedly intended merely to have a location in which there were sufficient dangers and poked fun at the way Equestria functioned. But within the gnostic mindset, it might serve as a tale illustrating the disorder of the material world.

And let us not forget Nightmare Moon, the Sister of Darkness, versus Princess Celestia, the Princess of Light. Very dualistic. That's what led me to make the Manichean reference.

Of course, Applejack and Rarity, the both of whom engage in manual labor, break that gnostic trend. On the whole, the ponies are often judged by their deeds rather than mentally held attitudes. So, again, it is mostly classical in structure. If they had a normative religion, it would be based on finding a calling (Cutie Mark), being amicable toward your fellow pony, and, if possible, winning the favor of Celestia. Those are the norms with the pony society, it seems.

They do have funerals, as seen in "Hearts and Hooves Day", accompanied by a chaplain or minister. The appearance of a Christianesque minister was undoubtedly played purely for laughs, since we have yet to see any other religious officials in Equestria, if Celestia herself does not count.

• Brohoof 2