Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Subscribers need a Badge

Shift

Yes, I know they have green text at the bottom of their avatar to signal they are a subscriber. But mods and admins have those...why can't subscribers? Just a badge in addition to their other badge. 

mm, I dont mind this idea to a degree, 

frankly I would like community stewards to have there own badge, but hay, its badge.

Also, the main person who designed them, nico, is not arround much anymore, I may be able to make them, but its up to feld0 and the gang if we should get new badges

• Brohoof 1

Wait, Community Stewards don't have badges? I never noticed! :(

Anyway, yeah, I just know some websites who have a badge like that and I thought it might be a nifty addition.

Not every rank here has a badge, and I for one think that's perfectly fine. Admins (tech VS community) don't have a differentiating badge, neither do mods (sectional vs global). I don't think subscribers need something to show off that they've subscribed; they got numerous perks as it is, and I just don't think it's a top priority that they need to be separated from normal members by putting them in entirely different ranks.

On top of that, I think the relatively recent addition of the color rank text below avatars is very helpful. That text is what differentiates ranks, (subscriber VS member, tech VS community, sectional VS global), so it makes the badge system have a deeper level of organization, without the need for us to have entirely separate badges for each and every group on the board.

The only thing out of all this I can see some logic in is Community Stewards, since before the rank text under avatars, it wasn't easy to tell them apart from members without going to their profile. But with the addition of rank-specific text, that's helped out a lot.

• Brohoof 9

Oh, I see what you mean. Well, there goes my idea. 

Even though I meant a badge in addition to your badge. For example, if someone is a Phoenix and a subscriber, they would have a subscriber badge in addition to the phoenix badge.

• Brohoof 1

Oh, I see what you mean. Well, there goes my idea. 

Even though I meant a badge in addition to your badge. For example, if someone is a Phoenix and a subscriber, they would have a subscriber badge in addition to the phoenix badge.

More badges seems more trouble than it's worth though, all the same. Things work just fine as they are now, to me at least, plus, having yet more badges under your avatar would be stretching posts even further, and it could easily start to feel crowded.

To add on to CD's statements...

The reason that moderators and admins have unique badges is because there are times that they need to be immediately recognizable as authority figures. It's less about bling and more about ease of recognition. Personally? I'd prefer to go through the standard badge progression, myself.

Additionally, I'm not really a fan of having multiple badges - I've seen many forums that pile on badge after badge, image after image; I simply cannot stand it - it almost always looks horribly cluttered. I guess I'm just a minimalist at heart.

• Brohoof 3

Lots of great reasons have been brought up in favour of avoiding the addition of any further badges beside a user's post.

However, I'll drop in and play devil's advocate here. I think it's difficult to deny that badges aren't popular. Many members really love them and feel motivated to make posts in order to continue "leveling up" their badge.

If we add a new badge that is exclusive to subscribers, it is quite possible that some people will actually feel more inclined to get a subscription. Yes, it will add some "clutter" to some users' "mini-profiles", and it is possible that some people might get an ego boost out of it - but in return, there's the possibility of boosting our active subscriber base, which is starting to become increasingly important for a number of reasons (not least of which is that one-time donations are both slowing down and aren't particularly sustainable in the first place).

Both sides of this ought to be thoroughly considered. Just to put it out there for anyone who sees this thread, would an additional subscriber-exclusive badge influence you to get a subscription?

• Brohoof 4

Both sides of this ought to be thoroughly considered. Just to put it out there for anyone who sees this thread, would an additional subscriber-exclusive badge influence you to get a subscription?

To anwser your question, no it wouldn't influence me in the slightest. If I had a way of getting a subscription, I would have done it long ago for my love of the forums, and not for some silly badge.

I don't think having another badge is all that helpful. Sure it might give some people that whole since of I need that badge, which would boost the subscriptions, but others might get all excited because of it and let it get to them with there pride of having a badge that not many people have.

In my mind, it's not a good idea, but that is just me.

• Brohoof 1

I really wouldn't be interested in getting a subscription just cause of a picture under my avatar. And you mentioned a possibility of an ego boost if the badges for subscribers were implemented. I really wouldn't enjoy the possibility of, just because they donate to the site and have a special badge, they suddenly feel the need to be respected or anything.

• Brohoof 1

I kind agree with CD and Zoop on this one,

I don't know if adding a different badge for subscribers is really viable, and also I doubt it would give people an incentive to donate, if people want to donate.

Also, regarding comm stewards badges...I'm indifferent, I believe that admins/mods should have unique badges, because they need to be easily identifiable, a community steward on the other hand does not deal with community support like the admins/mods do, therefore they don't need to be asidentifiable. 

Besides, I find it fun trying to climb up the badge ranks

• Brohoof 1

Not gonna lie, though I don't care too much either way, I wouldn't mind seeing extra colorful horse decorations for certain things.

Especially considering the gap between Brony and Certified Brony.  3k to 10k is quite the jump.

Lots of great reasons have been brought up in favour of avoiding the addition of any further badges beside a user's post.

However, I'll drop in and play devil's advocate here. I think it's difficult to deny that badges aren't popular. Many members really love them and feel motivated to make posts in order to continue "leveling up" their badge.

If we add a new badge that is exclusive to subscribers, it is quite possible that some people will actually feel more inclined to get a subscription. Yes, it will add some "clutter" to some users' "mini-profiles", and it is possible that some people might get an ego boost out of it - but in return, there's the possibility of boosting our active subscriber base, which is starting to become increasingly important for a number of reasons (not least of which is that one-time donations are both slowing down and aren't particularly sustainable in the first place).

Nope, especially since I had to cancel my subscription due to some more bills popping up from a hospital visit. I didn't subscribe for the perks, I did it to support the forums. I did opt-in to adds, though, so I could still support the forums somehow.

• Brohoof 3

To your question, Feldy, It wouldn't influence me that much. I would do it to support the forums...not for some silly badge. But other, un-knowledgable members may think the opposite of me.

It might look flashy and increase the amount of subs. Then again, you guys have a lot on your mind.

Meh, even though I made this thread, i'd lean either way.

Not every rank here has a badge, and I for one think that's perfectly fine. Admins (tech VS community) don't have a differentiating badge, neither do mods (sectional vs global). I don't think subscribers need something to show off that they've subscribed; they got numerous perks as it is, and I just don't think it's a top priority that they need to be separated from normal members by putting them in entirely different ranks.

On top of that, I think the relatively recent addition of the color rank text below avatars is very helpful. That text is what differentiates ranks, (subscriber VS member, tech VS community, sectional VS global), so it makes the badge system have a deeper level of organization, without the need for us to have entirely separate badges for each and every group on the board.

The only thing out of all this I can see some logic in is Community Stewards, since before the rank text under avatars, it wasn't easy to tell them apart from members without going to their profile. But with the addition of rank-specific text, that's helped out a lot.

Yeah I fully agree with post-1052-0-93634000-1352678450.gif here, he basically mentioned all my opinions except that I don't think community stweards needs a special badge. Im already 'nuff jelly about those orange titles, dont you dare doing that to me

Dont do this to me Feld0 you'll get my wallet empty :angry:

..You piece of shit :wub:

Edited by Jokuc
  • Brohoof 1

If I might add in my opinion on all of this, I feel that the addition of another badge which would be simultaneously displayed with the current rank badge is something that would not only be utterly superfluous, but would also feel cluttered and disorganized. One badge is something that should surely be more than enough for a member, and it must always be remembered why badges were created in the first place: As fun decorations to discover and rise through, not trophies to display any sort of status amongst the other members.

Administrators and Moderators have their own badges simply because, as it has been said before, they need to be easily recognized. No better way to do so than to give them truly unique badges. As Zoop has expressed, they may even desire to rise through the ranks normally as opposed to having a static rank.

A Subscriber badge is something that seems like it would only foster an ego boost to anyone who subscribed for the sake of getting it, and would add literally no benefit to anyone who subscribed for their love of the site. I don't really feel it would be beneficial on the whole to put in the effort of creating a unique badge for Subscribers.

• Brohoof 4