Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books Are you reading anything good right now?

lardbobobo

I'm currently reading Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton. It isn't bad per se, but so far I'm not seeing anything that really distinguishes it from all the other pirate stories out there. It does however include all the fun pirate stereotypes such as sword fights, cannon fights, the annoying governor of some port who hates pirates with a passion, lots and lots of booze and wenches everywhere. Generic or not, it has pirates in it and those are always fun for me. Maybe things will get better as I continue reading.

What about you guys? Are you all reading something good or bad? Fanfics can count, by the way.

Still casually reading through the Necronomicon, as its a collection of short stories it means i will read a story and then come back to it another week while reading other books between.

I'm actively reading the hunger games trilogy now, been meaning to do it for a while so i picked them up, they're rather good, didnt expect them to be written in first person though.

• Brohoof 1

I just read Storm Front, the first book of The Dresden Files. A friend recommended it to me a few weeks ago and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who needs something to read.

I'll work on tracking down the second book.

• Brohoof 1

I'm slowly reading The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling at the moment. Different, but it's nice to see that Rowling can write titles that aren't fantasy-oriented and still make it work well. 

Oh! And I'm reading Christine by Stephen King, or as like to describe it to relatives;

"And then; honk! honk! The car honked its own horn!" 

Edited by Frances Bean

I'm half way through chapter 3 of The Fellowship Of The Ring.

It's actually my first time reading the book series.

I also read the occasional creepypasta.

Well, I'm currently finishing up American Psycho, and then I'm going to either read the next book in the Dresden Files series or The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. I also have Flowers for Algernon, which I purchased a little while ago, and I want to read when I get a chance. It is very unfortunate that school keeps me from having the time for leisure reading.

Well, I'm currently finishing up American Psycho, and then I'm going to either read the next book in the Dresden Files series or The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling. I also have Flowers for Algernon, which I purchased a little while ago, and I want to read when I get a chance. It is very unfortunate that school keeps me from having the time for leisure reading.

Dude, Flowers for Algernon is one of my favorites. It's very, very thought-provoking, I'd recommend that you get that one squared away first. You won't regret it. 

Currenly reading Bioshock: Rapture by John Shirley... again! :D I love this novel, and I love the game.  It's actually one of my favorite games and it's actually cool to play the game after reading it, even if you already had beat the game before you ever began reading it.  It just makes things so much more easy to get, I guess.  <3

• Brohoof 1

Just finished C J Sansom's Dominion, alternate history set in 1952 in a world where Britain made peace with Nazi Germany in 1940. Its not bad, the plot is quite good, and the characters are sympathetic enough, but its clunky. It doesn't need to be a doorstop of a book (Fatherland wasn't) and the detailed flashbacks to Frank's experiences at school are unnecessary and boring. There is a lack of 'life' in some scenes, and definitely a certain lack of drama, even though the description is excellent and the events make perfect sense for the plot. Only one line made me tear up, and even Churchill somehow lacked drama. It didn't have the spirit of something like And All The King's Men by Gordon Stephens (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/s/gordon-stevens/and-all-kings-men.htm) and didn't drag one in as deeply as Fatherland did. All in all, its probably a 7-out-of-10 and my advice is don't read the bizarre polemic afterword that finishes the book off, after the story and credits are all completed. That just makes you think  the author is a nutter...

I'm slowly reading The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling at the moment. Different, but it's nice to see that Rowling can write titles that aren't fantasy-oriented and still make it work well. 

I just finished that, and it was much better than I expected. All-in-all, it's a good character study and I was less bored than i thought I would be. The ending however, although it made me a bit teary-eyed, was a tad bit rushed. 

I'm currently reading Mark of Athena, by Rick Riordan, is highly entertaining, funny, and has excellent allusions to Greek/Roman mythology and great characters. Although Rick Riordan's books are getting really formulaic, (kids who in someway are related to ancient gods go on quest to stop evil/save the world and along the way encounter tons of characters from ancient mythology with humor and action thrown it) they're not getting boring, that's for sure. 

Edited by Rarietty