Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can we survive without sleeping?

GamerLuna7

On 12/26/2012 at 5:13 PM, GamerLuna7 said:

Also i see sleeping as a huge waste of time.

Oh, that's funny, because apparently basically the entire human race seems to disagree with you!

To answer your question, the human body can survive for approximately 11 days without sleep.  Of course, long before that time, most people will just drop, face-plant, pass out where they stand no matter how hard they try to stay awake.  However, there have been rare cases of someone developing some kind of super rare neurological condition that prevents sleep, and 11 days is about the maximum before the brain just goes kaput.

I've been 3 days without sleeping a bit and working at the same time, and it feels horrible because all the time you feel like fainting and you start to get cold as time passes.

There's been times where I've gone through some weird insomnia spells where you cannot sleep and can go through the entire night either without any sleep or fainting for a few minutes at random during the night, can last months and you do start to get crazy and your head feels like exploding. 

So i would guess that it must be horrible regardless if you die or not from it.

There's been stories of people actually dying from exhaustion and lack of sleep in my line of work... Just one day they fall to the ground and they were dead.

• 1 month later...

Ive experienced sleeping with my eyes open.... Its inevitable.... The brain will shut down weather you like it or not.... And yhe body will get tired or over heat and what not and you die...... So yeah when you die you dont sleep anymore.....

• Brohoof 1

4 minutes ago, Emerald Heart said:

Definitely. We definitely need sleep.

Where the hell did you find that garbage information?

One time, I couldn't sleep for an entire week and I ended up having a seizure the next day. 

That is...horrifying honestly.  I hope you never did that again, that is dangerous!

30 minutes ago, Califorum said:

That is...horrifying honestly.  I hope you never did that again, that is dangerous!

Yeah. I wasn't doing it on purpose, I just kept having nightmares.

Also, it was actually pretty confusing for me because I haven't had a seizure in a LOOOOOONG time (I have epilepsy.) 

I was more confused than horrified. 

13 minutes ago, Emerald Heart said:

Yeah. I wasn't doing it on purpose, I just kept having nightmares.

Also, it was actually pretty confusing for me because I haven't had a seizure in a LOOOOOONG time (I have epilepsy.) 

I was more confused than horrified. 

That is still really bad and something you need to watch out for.

32 minutes ago, Califorum said:

That is still really bad and something you need to watch out for.

It's uncontrollable, bruh. There's no "watching out" for it. If it happens it happens.

I do take meds though, but still...

You can't "watch out" for seizures. They just happen.