Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can we survive without sleeping?

GamerLuna7

Hey everypony and here is an interestin think that i have been thinking a while. Could we somehow survive without sleeping. Because scientists havent found a reason why we need sleep,other than our brain says that we need it. Not because your body needs rest or anything. Also i see sleeping as a huge waste of time.

Actually, your body needs rest.  Over exhaustion can come in after a while of not sleeping where you couldn't do the simplest action.  So, yeah I think we need sleep,

• Brohoof 14

Well, the very simple answer would be no. You need sleep. I'm no expert about it, and I'm not about to pretend that I know why, so I guess the journalists at the Washington Post can tell you;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/10/08/AR2005100801405.html

Thanks for the link , i will read it.

Actually, your body needs rest.  Over exhaustion can come in after a while of not sleeping where you couldn't do the simplest action.  So, yeah I think we need sleep,

I hope in hte future we can find some way that we wouldnt need sleep, i really really hate sleeping.

• Brohoof 2

We need sleep because if we don't get sleep.... we get extremely weak, such as our body strength and thinking.

2nd.. we would start getting illusions..after like 4 days without sleep. 5.. we wouldn't be able to think correctly or even be able to do the simplest action such as opening a door.. 6. Our emotions would change drastictly, and could end up hurting somepony's feelings and other people.. 7 our memories will start to fade, i mean alot of things can happen to us if we do not get sleep.. that's why it's very important to get sleep every night so all of that would and will be avoided.

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for the link , i will read it.

I hope in hte future we can find some way that we wouldnt need sleep, i really really hate sleeping.

Edit: Okay, turns out it's Dextroamphetamine that the military uses. That's what I was thinking of when I mentioned the scientists. My bad. That stuff's pretty risky to take though, like other medications. What works for one, won't work for the other.

Still, I read in a scientific magazine that a better version was being developed that wouldn't be potentially detrimental to your health, so, yay!

Edited by Frances Bean

There is no report of people dying from sleep deprivation.

But there are indirect ways of how sleep deprivation can harm you. From Psychological to Emotional and finally Physical.

You'd experience hallucinations, you'll feel depressed for absolutely no reason and eventually become suicidal.

And btw.

Even though you push yourself from sleeping. Your body will automatically shut itself down. So there's really no possible way of avoiding sleep.

Edited by Arkane
  • Brohoof 2

no we cannot, we are basically addicted to sleep.  Without it our more sophisticated cognitive processes start shutting down.  In other words: If you go for more than approximately four consecutive days without sleep, you WILL go insane.

• Brohoof 2

Actually people (probably scientists) have been developing a chemical, or some kind of medication that could give people the same effects of sleeping for 8 hours, the amount of time that's recommended. It's being developed for the military, but that doesn't bar it from the public once it's perfected.

Would love to get that chemical,then i would never sleep again,just think what more can you do with 8 extra hours.

There is no report of people dying from sleep deprivation.

But there are indirect ways of how sleep deprivation can harm you. From Psychological to Emotional and finally Physical.

You'd experience hallucinations, you'll feel depressed for absolutely no reason and eventually become suicidal.

And btw.

Even though you push yourself from sleeping. Your body will automatically shut itself down. So there's really no possible way of avoiding sleep.

Bucking hell,i hate sleeping, wish my body wouldnt shut down.

no we cannot, we are basically addicted to sleep.  Without it our more sophisticated cognitive processes start shutting down.  In other words: If you go for more than approximately four consecutive days without sleep, you WILL go insane.

Scumbag body addicted to sleep.

Also because i dont sleep a lot that might explain why im depressed all the time.

Edited by GamerLuna7
  • Brohoof 1

Remember what happened to Applejack in Series One Episode Three, Applebuck Season? That is called Sleep Deprivation. While scientists may one day create a perfect anti-sleep chemical, and on that day, the world will become a happier, more cheerful, and more productive place, until that day comes, we humans will need sleep.

However, one time, I saw a Cracked.com article on hacking your brain so that it only required two hous of pure sleep rather than eight hours of impure sleep.

If I wasn't typing this on my Nintendo 3DS, I would open up a new tab and give you a link. Instead, I will tell you to google it.

Remember what happened to Applejack in Series One Episode Three, Applebuck Season? That is called Sleep Deprivation. While scientists may one day create a perfect anti-sleep chemical, and on that day, the world will become a happier, more cheerful, and more productive place, until that day comes, we humans will need sleep. However, one time, I saw a Cracked.com article on hacking your brain so that it only required two hous of pure sleep rather than eight hours of impure sleep. If I wasn't typing this on my Nintendo 3DS, I would open up a new tab and give you a link. Instead, I will tell you to google it.

Thanks for the tip man,i googled and found the article. Yes i do rember what happened to Applejack that one episode. I think im going to search more on sleep deprivation.

Yes..

But I remember reading something saying that humans can't go past 72 hrs without sleep...

But Iv already proven that wrong...

I never sleep... And when I do... I'm laying in my bed on the computer... Then go to sleep at 3am and wake up at 5 am!

Really? I thought you'd be more interested in the cure than the sickness. What are you, one of the doctors from the cast of House?

House is this television show about doctors. The main character, DR Gregory House, is played by Hugh Laurie, one of the funniest stars in british comedy.

We can live without sleep, but the question is: Would be worth it? Because, you know, you can keep drinking energy drinks, and things like it, but you would get very weak and without the capacity of do nothing that requires your motor co-ordination and force.

i know a friend that kept 4 days without sleep, but by the second day he was like he was almost going to die( of sleep) so i guess that it isn't a question of not needing it, it's a question of health and sanity.

Edited by Bruno

Also, mildly interesting trivia:

In Applebuck Season(Series one, episode three), Applejack was originally going to knock the apples down by headbutting the trees, her rapidly-increasing stupidity/silyness the result of repetitive blunt force trauma and brain damage. Hasbro forced the writers to change it, due to concerns that children would see the show and try and copy it...

...and then some get-rich-quick idiot looking to make a quick buck(Heh heh, pun.) would try and sue Hasbro, wastimg their money and making them unable to afford a season two, three, or four.

I'm bored, and feel the need to answer this question. So, even thoguh it's probably been sufficiently answered, I will answer it. I'm sorry if this bugs someone.

Anyways, yes, we need sleep. The reason you feel the need to rest is simple; your brain is biological. It needs time to repair it's self too. Failure to sleep causes exhaustion (obviously), lethargy, disinterest, and increased susceptibility to infections and disease. Basically, while your sleeping, your body is trying to repair itself. I like to think about it as your body having a heal function, which works during a nap.

No, on top of the physical and mental side effects, it would also rip our sense of time a new one. Ever watch X-Files? there an episode where a solider that was part of experiment to remove the need for sleep, he went insane from going decades without sleeping.  

I honestly cannot see myself, or anyone for that matter, surviving without sleep. Sure, it may be a waste of time, but it's a waste of time that we need. You're a lot more unhealthy without sleep.

As much as I wish we could survive without it that is unfortunately not the case, even the most advanced machine needs to be recharged or rebooted every now and then and we are no different.

I think that you should rethink your opinion about sleeping. It's not healthy to hate something you do for 1/3 of your life. 

Reasons why you should like sleeping:

1. (I'm assuming) You sleep in a bed. You have already made an investment so that 1/3 of your life sleeping can be spent in relative comfort.

2. You're giving your body time to recollect your thoughts and memories. It's good for your sanity. 

3. You can do anything that you want in your dreams. Your imagination is the limit. 

I think that you should rethink your opinion about sleeping. It's not healthy to hate something you do for 1/3 of your life. 

Reasons why you should like sleeping:

1. (I'm assuming) You sleep in a bed. You have already made an investment so that 1/3 of your life sleeping can be spent in relative comfort.

2. You're giving your body time to recollect your thoughts and memories. It's good for your sanity. 

3. You can do anything that you want in your dreams. Your imagination is the limit. 

1. I hate my bed.

2. I hate most of my memories.

3. I usually have nightmares about me being stuck in some old buildings ,not nice at all.

• Brohoof 1

1. I hate my bed.

2. I hate most of my memories.

3. I usually have nightmares about me being stuck in some old buildings ,not nice at all.

Perhaps it's time to choose a bed that you like. I can understand not enjoying your mattress if it's over 6 years old, or a cheap one that expires in under 2 years.

Well you don't like your memories? But your memories are of things you're doing while you're awake. So if you don't like those, then you wouldn't really like being awake, so you should enjoy sleeping :D

Now this is where I can relate. I had nightmares throughout my childhood. They were very bad to the point of me being afraid to go to  bed. I suggest that you build up some self confidence. It is what drives nightmares away. Believe that whatever is out there, it cannot hurt you because it is only a nightmare. And an interesting thing about nightmares is you can tell that you're in a nightmare more often than if you're in a dream. So if you do know you're in a nightmare, close your eyes and spin around until you're dizzy. Open them and your dream will usually change. 

Perhaps it's time to choose a bed that you like. I can understand not enjoying your mattress if it's over 6 years old, or a cheap one that expires in under 2 years.

Well you don't like your memories? But your memories are of things you're doing while you're awake. So if you don't like those, then you wouldn't really like being awake, so you should enjoy sleeping :D

Now this is where I can relate. I had nightmares throughout my childhood. They were very bad to the point of me being afraid to go to  bed. I suggest that you build up some self confidence. It is what drives nightmares away. Believe that whatever is out there, it cannot hurt you because it is only a nightmare. And an interesting thing about nightmares is you can tell that you're in a nightmare more often than if you're in a dream. So if you do know you're in a nightmare, close your eyes and spin around until you're dizzy. Open them and your dream will usually change. 

Well slenderman can hurt me because i know he is stalking me in real life too. And i cant change my dreams , i have tried lot of things ,but they wont change.

1. That's understandable.

2. I know how you feel.

3. That's not a good sign. You should do what I did: Learn psychology, and fix the errors in your psyche that cause nightmares. Then become perceptive enough to spot the tiny errors in each dream that show how it is a dream. Finally, gain enough willpower to manually reshape and rewrite your dream to whatever you want, as if you were Neo from The Matrix. Have you ever seen The Matrix? It's a good film.