Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can we survive without sleeping?

GamerLuna7

No we can't survive without sleep because we need rest

But one thing i find strange is why animals and us sleep because in the wild it would not be a good idea to sleep when other animals are looking for food at night. You would not survive for long 

Edited by Codelyoko373

No we can't survive without sleep because we need rest

But one thing i find strange is why animals and us sleep because in the wild it would not be a good idea to sleep when other animals are looking for food at night. You would not survive for long

I too also wonder why so many living things would develop such an evolutionary trait that seems so counter intuitive
  • Brohoof 1

After reading this you will no longer want to take this anti-sleep-medicine-stuff:

http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/The_Russian_Sleep_Experiment

And after reading this you will never again want to "go to sleep":

http://creepypasta.wikia.com/wiki/Jeff_the_Killer

I highly recommend not to read both. If you do you'll probably go insane and kill yourself because you neither can go to sleep nor stay awake. Oh...and be aware of the fact that if you click on the second link you'll be immediately welcomed by an image of Jeff which you'll really regret to ever have seen.

See y'all around,

Steve

Edited by Steve Remington

There is one way we could survive without sleep, we could upload ourselves into machines and leave our biological selves behind. I would miss sleep though, its a good feeling to just lie down in bed after a long day and pull a nice thick quilt over yourself...

But yeah, as it stands currently, I doubt we could. Sleep in general is a fairly complex process.

It would be very hard to live without sleep. Not sleeping can affect your health in many ways, hallucinations and depression are some of the symptoms of sleep deprivation. Not to mention that if you were always up, you would want to go to bed sometime, as you might get bored.   

No we can't, The brain more or less just starts breaking down, 

Although, science fiction as came up with ways of not sleeping such as cybernetics replacing certain brain functions or being able to make the brain sleep in stages so that one rests while still awake.

My mom always tells me I get to little of sleep, I think its a massive waste of time, I honestly hate sleeping. If you really hate sleeping that much why don't you try a polyphasic sleep cycle, it really cuts the amount of sleep you get and need in half, or actually more.

1. I hate my bed.

2. I hate most of my memories.

3. I usually have nightmares about me being stuck in some old buildings ,not nice at all.

what bout REM SLEEP? You need to have time to filter all the temporary data in the human brain

what bout REM SLEEP? You need to have time to filter all the temporary data in the human brain

With a Polyphasic sleep cycle you can go straight into REM sleep without any delay. Look it up and see what you find, who knows it could work for you.

You will hallucinate and your body will shut down without sleep, you'll probably go insane and kill yourself or it'd be impossible to stay awake because your body would just shut down and force you to sleep.

Dreams are also important, as you can learn so much from them. You can't really channel your subconscious as well while you're awake. I don't think that scientifically advancing ourselves into being able to stay awake forever is a very good idea.

Who knows, though? Maybe hundreds of years from now people will think we were sickly for having to shut down daily for about 8 or more hours. 

Um I need my sleep. 

One night last semester during finals week, I couldn't sleep that night. I did well enough on the final but my mom called me that afternoon and it was a lot like at 3:09. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2VhC1QF7ww&t=3m9s

Not that I had been playing games, though. I was stressed for finals week. But that's about how my brain was working that day lol

Edited by Space Woona

• 1 month later...

From personal experience, I have to lay on a hefty "no"

I'm someone that struggles with regular sleep and without getting enough sleep I can already feel my body taking a toll

First, my head will feel very woozy, then I start to feel overly warm and eventually my chest gets heavy and I can't breathe properly

It's a terrible feeling

No, people cannot survive without sleeping.  Our brains need rest, b/c if it doesn't, you most likely go screwed up in the head, and death will follow.

Studies have shown people that have DIED from not getting any sleep whatsoever, so we most deffinitely need sleep. But if you realy want to cut back on it, look into methods of surviving with limitid sleep. It is possible to minimize your sleep.

I WISH!

I would never sleep again if I could.

But, I think it's 10 Days max you can go without sleeping before, you know, you die and stuff. ^^"

But to answer your question: no, we can't. ^^