Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The Equestria flag shown in Hearth's Warm Eve?

confusedCraftsperson

I actually came up with the exact same theory on another forum - that Luna and Celestia were either mythical figures, 'hippomorphised' personifications of the Sun and Moon, or actual goddesses who had not yet descended to Earth.

I think the most likely explanation is that the flag shown in the episode is anachronistic and is the modern Equestrian flag, rather than the Equestrian flag as originally designed.

• Brohoof 5

I think the most likely explanation is that the flag shown in the episode is anachronistic and is the modern Equestrian flag, rather than the Equestrian flag as originally designed.

This is my belief on this subject.

I actually came up with the exact same theory on another forum - that Luna and Celestia were either mythical figures, 'hippomorphised' personifications of the Sun and Moon, or actual goddesses who had not yet descended to Earth.

Logical.

That is the most reasonable solution. Equestria is a very old country (at least a thousand years), so it's likely that during the time, the original design either became lost and forgotten, or it is just so unknown that nopony would recognize it if it were used.

Dramatic effect. It's a stage play.

Lets be honest, if there was a play about the independence of say, the USA, do you think they'd use this, or use the modern one so it makes sense to the kids?

Edited by Indigo
  • Brohoof 1

I think that's the more realistic theory.

This aughta do it.

It has 42 stars. I wonder what that's supposed to symbolize.

I count 41, and probably nothing - the stars are just meant to look cool.

The only thing that makes the anachronism odd is the fact that it appeared in such a high production pageant. This isn't some dinky litlte podunk town in the middle of nowhere. This was Canterlot. You'd think they would have higher production values and wouldn't use the modern flag.

But that's just a minor quibble of mine. I'm not about to worry about it all that much.