Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

books The Book Thread

Octavia2

So many favorites. My top favorite book that I've read over and over again and will continue to read over and over again is Lord of the Flies by William Golding. I also really love It's Kind of a Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. Lord of the Rings trilogy is fantastic as well as Harry Potter. Annabel by Kathleen Winter is another amazing book. I can't think of anything else right now but there are just so many good books out there!

• 3 weeks later...

Yay Book thread :D This is definitely my comfort zone.

I've just discovered audio books recently which suit me perfectly when I go on long long long walks.

I recently finished "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" (a little late to the game) and have just started "The Hobbit".

I often prefer the performance voices on CD to the monotonous tone in my head.

I just finished The Fault in Our Stars. It was a great book. I saw the movie trailer that came out the other day, and I don't know how to feel about it. I guess I'll just have to wait, and see the movie when it comes out.

I'm a little annoyed by how everyone thinks it's a chick flick based off of the trailer. The book was great, but the trailer gives off a different vibe than the book gave. That's just my opinion though. Like I said, I'll be seeing the movie when it comes out. I'm thinking in the end the book will be better.

• Brohoof 1

I just finished The Fault in Our Stars. It was a great book. I saw the movie trailer that came out the other day, and I don't know how to feel about it. I guess I'll just have to wait, and see the movie when it comes out.

I'm a little annoyed by how everyone thinks it's a chick flick based off of the trailer. The book was great, but the trailer gives off a different vibe than the book gave. That's just my opinion though. Like I said, I'll be seeing the movie when it comes out. I'm thinking in the end the book will be better.

Have you read any of his other books? I found an "Abudance of Katherines" and "Looking for Alaska" to be alright.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ooh, well the Halo books were like, the only books I actually bothered to sit down and read through. Yeah I'm not much of a reader. :P

Anyways, I've only read some of them, but I loved them all, so I can't just pick a single one. Which books? Well:

~ Halo: The Fall of Reach [Eric Nylund]

~ Halo: First Strike [Eric Nylund]

~ Halo: The Flood [William C. Dietz]

~ Halo: Cryptum [Greg Bear]

Have I seriously never posted in this topic before?

Well now I will!

I'm not much of a book reader but my favorite series is definitely Redwall. I've read about two thirds of it, still need to read the last few.

The Inheritance and Silverwing series' are both runner-ups.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
(edited)

I just finished listening to the audiobook of Jam by the glorious Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw, which was a surprisingly good horror, especially with the concept of 3 feet of man-eating jam covering a city. What about you guys?  Read anything recently?

img-2667468-1-222094-my-little-pony-frie

Edited by Archer Dash

Well if you love video games and 80's culture, I HIGHLY recommend Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

This story takes place in a distopian future where everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. The world is crap, politics are crap, crime is rampant, poverty is everywhere, etc. The only escape from this world is in a virtual reality paradise of a video game known as "The Oasis". What's in the Oasis you ask? I'm sorry the real question you should be asking is "What isn't in The Oasis". The Oasis is a world away from your world, and a much better one at that. Everything imaginable is in there in the form of different planets that the users can travel to. Wanna visit Middle Earth? They got that. Wanna pilot the enterprise? Go right ahead. Wanna fight in the Clone Wars? Well just go start the quest buddy. Wanna buy your own fantasy/sci-fi real estate? Dude just log onto The Oasis.

The plot is that when The Oasis's creator and richest video game dev in the world James Haliday dies, a message is sent out to every Oasis user. This message says that somewhere in the Oasis, James has hidden his entire fortune (a grand total of 48 billion) and ownership of the Oasis somewhere inside of it. Whoever could find it first would gain the money and complete control of the Oasis. So now the race is on to see if whether our main character or the evil corporate scumbags will find the easter egg first.

• Brohoof 1

Well if you love video games and 80's culture, I HIGHLY recommend Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

This story takes place in a distopian future where everything that could go wrong has gone wrong. The world is crap, politics are crap, crime is rampant, poverty is everywhere, etc. The only escape from this world is in a virtual reality paradise of a video game known as "The Oasis". What's in the Oasis you ask? I'm sorry the real question you should be asking is "What isn't in The Oasis". The Oasis is a world away from your world, and a much better one at that. Everything imaginable is in there in the form of different planets that the users can travel to. Wanna visit Middle Earth? They got that. Wanna pilot the enterprise? Go right ahead. Wanna fight in the Clone Wars? Well just go start the quest buddy. Wanna buy your own fantasy/sci-fi real estate? Dude just log onto The Oasis.

The plot is that when The Oasis's creator and richest video game dev in the world James Haliday dies, a message is sent out to every Oasis user. This message says that somewhere in the Oasis, James has hidden his entire fortune (a grand total of 48 billion) and ownership of the Oasis somewhere inside of it. Whoever could find it first would gain the money and complete control of the Oasis. So now the race is on to see if whether our main character or the evil corporate scumbags will find the easter egg first.

Plot twist: Just wait in the lobby for like 20 minutes to find it.

Hey there, @Archer Dash, I moved your topic from General Discussion to Media Discussion. Books are an aspect of media (printed media, in this case) so this topic fits best in the latter forum section. General Discussion is best suited to topics that do not fit elsewhere.

Hey there, @Archer Dash, I moved your topic from General Discussion to Media Discussion. Books are an aspect of media (printed media, in this case) so this topic fits best in the latter forum section. General Discussion is best suited to topics that do not fit elsewhere.

I saw "SCS" and thought that I had commited murder on here or something.  Didn't realize that Books were media for a bit, perhaps I shouldn't be on forums at 2 Am.  :squee:

• Brohoof 2

Reading Insurgent, analyzing a novel by Frederik Pohl and reading about science fiction for the exams, but my biggest problems at home when I'm bored is to decide '' What should I read? '' #firstworldproblems #notevenclose. 

• 1 month later...
(edited)

9780375413308.jpg

I am not a good book critic, but I found this to be a very good read. The main character Zeno is a most interesting one, and it was pretty funny at times, but in a kind of messed up way. I very much reccomend it!

Edited by Pepe