Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

When to stop advertising?

Nac0n

I've constantly thought about how much i 'advertise' drawings and projects. I've always felt like i overdo it and should give it a rest.

Advertising in general is annoying at some point. But where's the limit?

What's your thoughts on when someone is  advertising something they've done or that they work with? Are they annoying? Are they interesting? Would you turn your back on them?

How much do you advertise when you do drawings? Or perhaps you work at an advertising agency and can provide some experienced information?

- Nac0n

Edited by Nac0n

My only honest advice is this; advertise until either you get tired or are asked to stop. If you have passion for something and want to put that out there in the public eye, then pursue that with your heart. If you feel you are being annoying, then stop. But keep putting yourself out there

• Brohoof 2

Any advertisement will slightly annoy 9/10 people, while the remaining one will actually see what you advertise and might be happy that he/she did.

I'd say it's more about where and how you advertise, more than how much. For example, people on forums who end all posts with "Oh and check this, it is very cool. Check it. Really Check it. It's cool. I made it. Really." are just annoying, simple as that.

Tho having it in your sig and profile is fair and not annoying at all and still does the work. Mentioning you draw and where your work can be found is also cool, in the right situation.

Other than that, you can always do link exchange with other authors and webs, that might be helpful, while still decent and polite.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

My only honest advice is this; advertise until either you get tired or are asked to stop. If you have passion for something and want to put that out there in the public eye, then pursue that with your heart. If you feel you are being annoying, then stop. But keep putting yourself out there

Thanks for commenting, it's a bigger relief to read that than you may think.

Hearing things from others are soothing and greatly appreciated.

Any advertisement will slightly annoy 9/10 people, while the remaining one will actually see what you advertise and might be happy that he/she did.

I'd say it's more about where and how you advertise, more than how much. For example, people on forums who end all posts with "Oh and check this, it is very cool. Check it. Really Check it. It's cool. I made it. Really." are just annoying, simple as that.

Tho having it in your sig and profile is fair and not annoying at all and still does the work. Mentioning you draw and where your work can be found is also cool, in the right situation.

Other than that, you can always do link exchange with other authors and webs, that might be helpful, while still decent and polite.

Yeah, i know myself how much i'm annoyed by bigger ads and similar things so i can fully understand people if anyone would complain on someone.

True, i should really try to chill until i see a moment where i can sneak it in without being annoying.

That's also a great suggestion, thanks! Smaller contacts can probably lead to something greater.

Edited by Nac0n

I get annoyed with advertising but I do much worse than US corporations when I'm pushing products so I guess I'm a hypocrite, I usually have other leverage if my targets refuse to buy whatever I'm selling in case advertising don't work.

Thanks for commenting, it's a bigger relief to read that than you may think.

Hearing things from others are soothing and greatly appreciated.

Any time man, it's what we are here for in this community. I get the advertising bit; I don't doubt there are quite a few bronies here who would beat me over the head for how often I plug Age of Equestria (My groundbreaking RPG modded after D&D 3.5, check it out ;) So just keep at it!

That's also a great suggestion, thanks! Smaller contacts can probably lead to something greater.

It works great, especially on devArt. Contact authors doing similar art as you, put each other in the blog or somewhere on the main page, everyone gets new visitors, everyone is happy. And as you get more people and more exchange, it'll all go faster and faster. Getting a little link on related sites works just as well.

Of course, other way is paid add, but that's a bit "eh" when it comes to spreading your own art (if it's not the source of your income), as far as I'm concerned.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the dirty way to to this on dA is to befriend someone really popular and then force them to feature you.  :lol:

Plus, your gallery is pretty good, you shouldn't have problems getting exchange and more people.

Edited by Jessper

@@Nac0n,

Well it worked, I saw your devian art page due to all the advertising and those are actually pretty good.You're probably 1 of the few guys on the Internet that doesn't make a touhou art that is sexually suggestive in any way.

I think it depends on where you advertse mostly. Be wise and advertise to those you know would be interested in what you have to offer.

If you go ahead and try selling a PS3 to a Sony-hater or a 360 to a Microsoft hater, you're just going to piss people off.

I haven't advertised much yet, but that's because I'm not done with my stuff at the moment, but I'm planning to. I mean, I've been working on it for a year and a half, and I'm not going to let all that work be completely unnoticed!

Edited by Zacharias

The amount you advertise for something should be approximately proportional to how much time you've spent on it.  If it's a project you're really proud of because you've been working on it for a full year, you deserve to have as many people watch it as possible, but if it's the kind of work you can produce in an hour, scale it back a little bit.

That said, you should rarely, if ever, advertise on the same website twice.  The third time you submit the same piece of your own content to Reddit, you start to look a bit desperate, and on the internet, public opinion never goes away.

Edited by Pony Joe