Most popular shippings?

Freewave

I'm surprised how little SpitDash there is out there, but maybe that's just me. SpitDash didn't even make the list. TwiDash and SoarBurn also aren't as high as I thought they'd be either. FlutterMac is about where I thought it would be though.

I actually like pinklestia.  Yes you do not see it very often but they do make quite a good couple.  Plus Pinkie is the one who could actually get under Celly's skin enough to actually achieve a pairing.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, Appledash and Celesticord are my favorites.

Surprised that OctaScratch is higher then LyraxBonbon. I thought they were pretty much the #1 couple.

I'm partial to Rarijack and Dr. Whooves/Derpy myself.

The first for having plausibility if you take out the whole 'kids-show' aspect, which of course would never happen. The two just make a great pairing in my opinion.

The second I just find adorable, being a whovian myself. wink.png

• Brohoof 1

Meh favorites(not ordered)

Dr.Hooves/Derpy

Apple/Dash

Flutter/Dazh

Discord/Twilight

Discord/Flutters

and Sparity etc.

I dont like Celestiacord cause I dont really know Celestia o.0? She seems to hve the least explored personality and background, to me, and she FLIPS when Discord steals the elements. So my main shipp is probably Discoshy or Discolight as of right now. So much win in Keep Calm and Flutter On

I rememember when I put together a graph for such information almost a year ago.

equestria_daily_super_simple_story_archi

The numbers really vary depending upon what you're looking for: even from the broad digression you can see from dan-fictions vs. art (EqD Fan-Fiction Archive as compared to DeviantArt in the Opening Post) you can extrapolate that it must also be different for people who write Clopfics or Rule 34 pictures, and other contingent groups that still fall under the purview of "Shipping". We may never actually know which is truly the most popular shipping.

i generally dont pay attention to shipping, the only ones i like are Lyra x Bon Bon and Doctor x Derpy. I am actually a little surprised that these aren't higher on the list.

(edited)

I rememember when I put together a graph for such information almost a year ago.

img-1387637-1-equestria_daily_super_simp

The numbers really vary depending upon what you're looking for: even from the broad digression you can see from dan-fictions vs. art (EqD Fan-Fiction Archive as compared to DeviantArt in the Opening Post) you can extrapolate that it must also be different for people who write Clopfics or Rule 34 pictures, and other contingent groups that still fall under the purview of "Shipping". We may never actually know which is truly the most popular shipping.

Dangit, that image isn't coming up for me at all. If you can find a way to successfully report or link to it lemme know as I'd love to see it. I do believe that fanfiction could be a whole other blend of different statistics altogether.

I really am needing to update the list and see where it stands with DA now. TwiTrix, Twilestia, and Discoshy surely must have gone up.

Here is the results of MLP Shipping survey from FIMfiction i just found (still looking for any additional stats):

http://mlpshipping.blogspot.com/2013/02/shipping-opinions-survey-results-part-1.html#!/2013/02/shipping-opinions-survey-results-part-1.html

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

-Cough Cough- Appledash is best ship -Cough Cough-

I don't mind any shipp really as long as the story is good, but i have to say the 2 i like the most are Appledash and Octascratch.

CB

Something about this seems... Off. I'm not sure if this is entirely accurate somehow, although it might be a good general measure. Twixie and Berry Punch x Colgate are essentially tied, but something's given me the impression that the former is vastly more popular than it's ranking on the list. Same thing with Dashfire/Spitdash/Flamebow. The top three on the list make sense though. Hm. I wonder if there are any other ways to measure this?

Why is SpikeXSweetie last on the list? :C

While I'm superhappy that Soarin'Dash is first, I'm kinda upset at how few people like ships like SpikeBelle.

My favorite ships in this order are:

• Soarin'Dash
  • DoctorDerpy
  • SpikeBelle
  • Discoshy
  • Celesticord

(Yes, all straight ships. Got a problem?)

SoarinDash is weak too IMO. "LOOK A MALE WONDERBOLT NAMED CHARACTER APPEARING FOR TWO SECONDS HE MUST BE SHIPPED WITH DASH"

That's it dude. I mentally flipped when I read this. 

Why shouldn't Soarin' be shipped with Rainbow Dash? Why, instead, must she be shipped with Applejack or Rarity or Pinkie Pie when this is a kids show where they're not going to have any lesbian ships. 

But noo. Instead, Lyra, Bonbon and 'Colgate' who haven't had a SINGLE line to say, or do anything much, have a hellload of fanworks about them? 

And I'm pretty sure Doctor Whooves was fannamed. Why would you call him that, and ship him with another pony who he's never met? (derpy)

(not that I have anything against the above characters, I love them! I'm just stating my point in a civilised manner)

Lyra hasn't done ANYTHING, yet people go around saying 'yahoo, Lyra is best pony, blah blah blah" 

How the heck they don't know that she is NOT what her fanmade self is like? Who says she isn't like that at all?

Then if those BG charatcers who haven't said a single word throughout the whole bucking series could basically have worshippers who basically made up their life-stories, why should Soarin' be left out? At least he actually SAID something!! If we decided to give him a fan-personality and stuff, then why should he be critisised and not Lyra and the rest of them??

I'm going to end now before I rip a whole in my laptop.*snort*

LOL, that was fun, yet annoying. I must have looked so idiotic, huh? Just defending my favorite pony... you guys know how it is with me..

Edited by ~Chaotic Fireball~
  • Brohoof 2

Why shouldn't Soarin' be shipped with Rainbow Dash? Why, instead, must she be shipped with Applejack or Rarity or Pinkie Pie when this is a kids show where they're not going to have any lesbian ships. 

any time a background/small character is shipped with a main character it feels like a self-insert to me

nothing against SoarDash in particular, I just think it's rather unimaginative.

• Brohoof 1

I think the most popular shipping or at least one of them that I would think that a lot of people would like.

Here is well a list:

Roseluck x Colgate

Rainbow Dash x Soarin

Fluttershy x Discord

I've run out of ideas. :P

• Brohoof 1

any time a background/small character is shipped with a main character it feels like a self-insert to me

nothing against SoarDash in particular, I just think it's rather unimaginative.

Oh, well, um, sorry for that, I guess... 

Wait. Minor character? Excuuuuse me.

Who do you feel you are!? I'm watching you, bro.... 

(Just kidding, sorry about that! :P)

I love Spike shippings! Cuz' he's the cutest thing ever o.o. So I would have to say Spikity (Spike+Rarity) or SpikeBelle (Spike+Sweetie Belle.)

• Brohoof 2

Oh, well, um, sorry for that, I guess... 

Wait. Minor character? Excuuuuse me.

Who do you feel you are!? I'm watching you, bro.... 

(Just kidding, sorry about that! tongue.png)

no problem, shipping is srs bisnis after all

I'd actually like to see more of Soarin', he seemed pretty cool. But not enough to warrant the most popular ship. I'm drawn to the weirder, more interesting ships, like Twilight/Pinkie. If there aren't neat character dynamics, I get bored.

• Brohoof 1

The least surprising thing about this list?

A Rainbow Dash ship is on the top of the list.

The most surprising thing about this list?

It's a heterosexual Rainbow Dash ship! laugh.png

tumblr_m3qi05XNdY1ruoy68o1_500.gif

• Brohoof 5

The least surprising thing about this list?

A Rainbow Dash ship is on the top of the list.

The most surprising thing about this list?

It's a heterosexual Rainbow Dash ship! img-1391375-1-laugh.png

img-1391375-2-tumblr_m3qi05XNdY1ruoy68o1

Yeah i talked to someone on another forum and he said that ship is for all the homophobes. I guess he may have a bit of a point as to almost everyone else RD is gay is already fannon.

Yeah i talked to someone on another forum and he said that ship is for all the homophobes. I guess he may have a bit of a point as to almost everyone else RD is gay is already fannon.

And why does Dash have to be a lesbian? I mean, if she is, that's perfectly fine, but I'm guessing most people (not all) just say she is because of the whole tomboy thing. That's kind of BS, and it goes against the mission statement Lauren Faust followed when she took on the show.

I dunno, I just think calling someone a homophobe because they don't prescribe to the same not-even-confirmed head canon is a bit much.

Edited by CITRUS KING46
  • Brohoof 5

CelestiaCord? 800? That's a THING?

Some good research, mah main pony Wavey.

Vinyl Philharmonica (as it should be called) is right where it should be, but I too am a bit surprised Lyra x BonBon isn't a squosh higher. Maybe no one cares about BonBon.

Some of these I don't even recognize. Am I out of touch? Who's Flamebow? Or SoarBurn?
And...Spike and APPLEBLOOM? Really? That's a surprise.

And I back up Citrus King. Why do you the fan get say RD is gay for particular reason and call it fannon? In remix culture, 'fannon' has to be determined statistically. And if comparable proportions of people subscribe to straight RD ships as to homosexual RD ships, than RD has not, by fannon, had her orientation determined for her.

And she gets to bloody well decide for herself :)

How does subscribing to a straight ship make somepony a homophobe? I'm sorry, but that's....that's really too much altogether.

Edited by Dawn Stripes
  • Brohoof 2

Gotta agree with Citrus on this one, that's pretty bold to declare that most people who subscribe to SoarinDash do so because they're homophobes.  It's also pretty bold to declare that RD is lesbian to most everypony in fanon; not saying there aren't plenty of lesbian RD ships, but there's lesbian ships for ALL of the Mane 6!!! happy.png   That's just the nature of fandoms; if you can ship someone with someone else, somewhere out there, SOMEONE will do it!

So all in all, just be careful how much you emphasize that to most people, RD is "obviously" lesbian, because, echoing what Citrus said again as well, that goes against Lauren Faust's very own vision.  In fact, here's what she was quoted as saying when an early critic of MLP blasted RD as being obviously lesbian because of her design and tomcoltish nature:

(from Wikipedia) Kathleen Richter of Ms. believed that Friendship Is Magic did little to change the nature of older animations for girls, which she considered "so sexist and racist and heteronormative." For example, she suggested that, through the character of Rainbow Dash, the show was promoting the stereotype that "all feminists are angry, tomboyish lesbians." She also considered that the only darker-colored ponies shown to date were in positions of servitude towards the "white pony overlord."[115] Lauren Faust responded to these claims by stating that while Rainbow Dash was a tomboy, "nowhere in the show is her sexual orientation ever referenced" and "assuming [tomboys] are lesbians is extremely unfair to both straight and lesbian tomboys", and further stating that "Color has never, ever been depicted as a race indicator for the ponies."[11]

So yeah, just because somepony (such as myself personally) may favor SoarinDash above any other RD ship, don't assume they're a homophobe.  That does discredit to your very own bronyhood in the first place friend. smile.png

Edited by Batbrony
  • Brohoof 6

I don't remember who said it, but someone here put it best

Rainbow Dash is too awesome to be subjected to just one gender. Everyone wants to taste the rainbow

Edited by Super Kami Guru
  • Brohoof 3