Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Were "Ponies" To You Before FiM?

Zero000

Reading these responses talking about the old "Generation" in the singular kind of makes me laugh :) Being a girlchild of the 80's, and I'm not sure how many of you there are on here (I kinda wonder if I'm a minority!), I kinda wonder how many of the new Brony population know the history behind My Little Pony ^_^ It didn't start back in 2003 with the "old Generation", that was actually to Pony toy collectors known as the "G3" generation :D My Little Pony actually started all the way back in 198...2? Or 1983? I can't remember off the top of my head. WELL before I was born XD

ANYWAY. Ponies to me were those fun little toys I used to play with when I was a kid. And then back when I met my hubby in 2006 and McD's was giving away free Toys R Us money with their Monopoly game, I found ponies again and so I started collecting the toys. I kinda got bored with them when they started only making the same six ponies over and over again (Called at one point the Core/bore 7) And then when FiM EXPLODED onto the scene I was like: :D and so the love of ponies was respawned. Now I have a conga line of blind bag ponies on my entertainment stand, every episode on my DVR, and a broad range of MLP in a happy little Pony Cabinet. I'm particularly pleased with my baby pony nursary on the top shelf :wub: There's just too much cute on that shelf... OH. And one of my 1.5 year old little brony's first words were "Pinkie" and "Pony" It was a very proud day for me. :lol:

(edited)

Alright watching commentaries and stuff on G3 made me realize this: Before I actually watched FIM I thought: "Boys and teenage boys at that are getting hyped up over THAT!?"

Because of (and I'm sorry for the following that many bronies consider as bad as Cupcakes as far as quality goes) this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Kil6U9fT5A

Besides childhood toys THAT is what I had thought of.

How dead wrong was I...

Edited by Arashi Takamine
  • Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

I never thought much about MLP, they were girls toys and something I would never consider. I won't touch the older generations, can't even look at them without flinching (And no, I'm not a hater, also, without them we wouldn't have G4)

Now my (ten years younger) female cousin makes fun of me for liking MLP. The absolute irony of someone who watches a lot of vapid girly shows...

Edited by Flutterash

My first exposure to it was Midnight Castle and I vaguely remember the Smuz. So I knew what they COULD be. I never paid attention or actually sought them out because I was too busy with Pokemon and Beast Wars. Of course TV Tropes kept mentioning them and I looked up the article for the show itself, found out what a brony was, and that it was made by Lauren Faust! "Wow! This show must be really good then!" A hop, skip, and a jump to Youtube for the pilot and my brony status was confirmed the moment Twilight got into the Canterlot library.

I just thought of them as those toys we had like 3 of and had no idea how I got them (probably for a birthday)

Alls I knew about was G3 toys. and I still didnt like g4 till late 2011

Now I kinda like G1 and G2

A toy that epitomized why little girls and little boys don't typically play together. You could stroke their hair, and stroke their hair, and stroke their hair...and damn could you stroke that hair.

Yeah. Certainly never something I thought would ever merit the quality writing and animation of FiM

Before FiM, ponies were cute dolls with pretty hair, based off of real ponies that little girls constantly whine about wanting, even though they don't even really know what they are.

What is with six year old girls and ponies, anyways? :/ What's wrong with horses, lol.

I mostly just ignored them in fact im pretty sure not a lot of people in my school even new about them.

I eventually came to like them when I saw what a big fuss the internet was making about friendship is magic and well I did my best to ignore it and I actually managed to hold off until the second season than I watched one episode and within a week I and watched the whole first season and some of the second.

5 years old: I liked to watch the old generation

7 years old: My Little who?

10 years old: I used to get annoyed of my friend for watching the G3.5

Now: I'm the school's weirdo that's obsessed with Ponies

Edited by Pinkazoid

I didn't like them, and I never knew that there was a show about it. Now that I think about it, I kind of find this part of my life amusing:

My little sister used to have the older generation pony-toys. I remember them being girl toys and thus never touching them. When I got my first cell phone, which had a camera, I made one of the first videos in my life: about stop-motion ponies ^_^. From then on I've been into making videos, especially VFX, and now it's been about seven years. Now I realize that I've made a full circle by starting to make a PMV :). It's funny how it worked out.

I never even thought about it until now :P.

I used to watch the old school MLP back in the 80's in the afternoons after kindergarten got out. I remember it being my favorite as well as Jem (my set). Looking back, the old MLP hasn't held up well but I still enjoy it for nostalgia. I do recall the MLP that aired on the Disney Channel back in the early to mid 90's and I watched a few episodes but never really got in to it. MLPFIM is an entirely different story. They got it right this time. It has everything and that's why it's so appealing to so many different people, both young and old. It doesn't matter if you're a boy or a girl, 10 or 30, MLP speaks to everyone. I'm really so happy that an old cherished childhood show was revived in such a phenomenal fashion and is experiencing success beyond expectations. ;)

Before FIM, I just thought of it as a girls toy, that I would only ever buy if I had a daughter or for a child's birthday. In fact, I never even acknowledged its existence for years until I discovered FIM.

I knew about the older cartoon series and wrote it off as something i didn't want to watch. I never knew much about it though. Other than that ponies were animals that you ride around on to me lol. (I never really wasn't not interested in watching Friendship Is Magic).